1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

the best way to resolve conflict with a neighbor

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by esketit, Jul 18, 2018.

?

what is the best way

1. call the police

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. post a passive aggresive message on neighborhood board

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. confront them

11 vote(s)
    57.9%
  4. confront them aggressively

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  5. just ignore it

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If they have done this but have never spoken to you personally then that is sad. I wouldn't go over to their house to talk to them about it, but if you see them outside or something I would approach it as friendly as possible. Just say in calm friendly voice, "Hey I know you guys seem to have a problem when I park on the street. I just wanted to let you guys know, that I follow the law when I park on the street and I do it because... (fill in the reason). I just wanted to hopefully clear up any misunderstanding."

That might change if they have spoken to you about that and what their manner was if they did that.

BigDog63 and cml750 like this.
  2. esketit

esketit Member

ok

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Looks like we found your neighbor OP.

Is your car a stang? Possible that CometsWin is jelly.

But seriously, if they are wrongly calling the police multiple times that's likely illegal and you should be able to make a report to the cops the next time they do it.

4. esketit

esketit Member

they tell the police the truck has not been moved in months but its driven every day

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Okay well, they are purposely lying to the police, I'd file a report against them the next time they call the police on you (if there's a next time). They are purposely waisting the polices resources, and lying over something legal.

esketit likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Oh **** that.

Put up a camera where the neighbors can't see it and record the truck's comings and goings.

B-Bob, Torn n Frayed and esketit like this.
  7. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Call the police about any and everything you can. Its the job of the police to answer. Call for loud music, for trash, for any and everything you can.

That will wake your neighbors up and make them realize this isnt okay.

Cops are here forna reason

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

9. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

GTFO undercover mavs fan

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Seriously dude, get help.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

This seems like a self-limiting strategy for your neighbors. Cops do not want to have to come deal with petty crap like this and will resent calls from your neighbor. Be friendly and rational with the cops and they'll probably take your side.

More generally, your neighbor has a problem with your parking habits but doesn't have the maturity to talk with you about it directly. You could walk over and have a friendly conversation about why they don't like it, why you do it, and maybe reach some mutually agreeable solution. Of course, it's also possible that their complaint is stupid and there's nothing to be done.

When I was younger, I'd called the cops on a couple of loud college parties at an apartment building across the street. Nowadays, I would never do that. Nothing bad happened back then (that I know about anyway), and most of the time it won't. But you're just raising the risk for everybody when you ask a guy with a gun to come by.

12. esketit

esketit Member

they have a few things wrong with their house, like they park a car on the grass and in their backyard they have a mtotor home pulled in. Should I call and complain about these things? these people are very old and I do not want to mess with them, but the tiger is out of the cage

13. esketit

esketit Member

see above

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If there is an HOA, that's another authority you can appeal to (no risk they shoot anyone, but they do steal people's houses). But my advice would be to solve disputes with neighbors amicably and with maturity even if that means you have to be the bigger man. He might have more compelling reasons for his behavior than you realize, and anyway simple conversation can solve many problems at low cost. I would at least start there, get a mutual understanding, and then decide if escalation is necessary.

15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Exercise your @nd Amendment eights with you gun show AR 15.

Bandwagoner likes this.
  16. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Where is the show them your gun collection option?

17. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

What happened to the diplomacy? :D :D

18. cml750

cml750 Member

This thread reminds me of a time when a busy body neighbor down the street got mad about people parking in the streets and started a petition to make it illegal to park on the street. She convinced about 75% of the people on the street to sign it (not me)and took it to city council and the next thing you know they are putting no parking signs down our street. After a about a year, several people who had signed it regretted it and started their own petition to change the law(I signed this one). Now it is legal to park on the street on my side but not on the other. Now that the guy who lives directly across from me(who supported no parking) has multiple kids driving and several vehicles like I did at the time this mess was started he started parking directly in front of my house. I had to pull him aside and let him know that while I did not care if he parked there occasionally that it is really crappy for him to have supported no parking on his side and to take advantage of the law on our side. He agreed with me and now is parking in his yard.

19. cml750

cml750 Member

Does where you are parking cause a problem for them when they back out of their driveway? I would have a talk with them and ask exactly what is the issue with your parking and perhaps you can adjust to accommodate.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I was told that WAS diplomacy.