1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Astros' Hall of Fame & Retired Numbers are drunk

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Hey Now!, Aug 14, 2023.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Retired numbers/rings of honor/team Hall of Fames... this may be my favorite topic to debate, and, friends... we need to fix the Astros' team Hall of Fame and retired numbers.

Retired Numbers
    I've posted this before - a lot - but there should be two - and only two - retired jerseys: 5 & 7. Bags & Bidge are as no-brainer as no-brainers get. Every other currently-retired number should be quietly made available again.

But what about 34?! I hear you screaming at your computer... Let's get into it!

My issue with Nolan Ryan's number being retired is two-fold: 1) two other teams can credibly claim his retired number (with the Angels having a decent argument they had peak Ryan & the Rangers able to claim they had more iconic moments), and that, IMO, lessens his impact as an Astro; 2) ... he's slightly overrated. When he left in '88, he was... ~10th in team bWAR. He's currently 19th. By the end of next year, he'll be 20th (Verlander will pass him next season), and by 2025-6, he'll likely be 22nd (after Tucker & Alvarez pass him). Heck, even among pitchers, he's 5th (and barely - Joe Niekro is .2 bWAR behind him - anyone wanna argue we should retire 35?) I mean, he was a very good pitcher here - but, looking *just at his accomplishments as an Astro* - good enough to have his jersey retired?

But! I have no issue with him going into the...

Team Hall of Fame
    As silly as the Astros have been with retired numbers, they've somehow been even sillier with their Hall of Fame. Their criteria seems to be, "Did you play for the Astros? You're in!" If I'm doing my math correctly, the two Bills this weekend were the 25th & 26th inductees? That, frankly, is absurd for a franchise that, until 2017, was largely average and forgettable.

Here is the full list of players that *should* be in the team's Hall of Fame: Bagwell, Biggio, Ryan, Jimmy Wynn, Larry Dierker, Cesar Cedeno, Jose Cruz, Lance Berkman, Roy Oswalt.

That's it. (I will save a space for Billy Wagner if he's elected to Cooperstown.)

Morgan, Scott and Richard are reluctant cuts. But let's look at it objectively: Morgan's best years were with the Reds; Scott, outside of his '86 season, really has almost no selling point; Richard would be more for the idea of JR Richard than results. Unfortunately, the stroke cost him.

IMO, no one else is even close.

Why is this important?
    It's not - I'm bored. And, like I said: this is my favorite topic to debate. But! This era is about to flood both areas, and because the Astros were so drunk, it's going to start to get unwieldly. You could make a case for retiring as many as 7 numbers from this era (+ Berkman and Oswalt have really strong cases), especially given how low their standards have previously been (it's encouraging they've resisted retiring 17 and 44 - but, honestly, their cases are better than every retired number, save Bagwell & Biggio). It's out of hand.

Altuve is next up for number retirement (he's pretty close to locking that down), and he's already secured his place in the team Hall of Fame. Correa, Springer & Bregman are HoF locks, too, with Verlander, Tucker and Alvarez gaining steam. I don't think you retire Springer or Correa's numbers - but Verlander is creeping into that area, and Tucker & Alvarez, if they stay here for their careers, are going to be put up strong cases. (I don't think Bregman gets there, number-retirement-wise.)

And that doesn't include Luhnow (if his situation is ever reconciled), Hinch (same) and (definitely) Baker, who would all be locks for the team HoF under other circumstances.

ac in austin likes this.
  2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I wasn't around for the 80s. I know he seems to be a very popular player among some Astros fans but all I've got are numbers, numbers that didn't even exist when he was actually playing.

Bill Doran was a low key great player, his WAR numbers in a modern context (granted defensive numbers for the era are sketchy at best) are extremely good. 30 WAR (8th among eligible Astros hitters) over roughly 8 seasons and local popularity justify a team HOF induction just fine, in fact guys like him are the reason it should exist. A lesser honor short of the premier honor of jersey retirement.

Bill Brown is a no brainer given his tenure. He was the voice of Astros baseball for 30 seasons.

As for the retired jersey's, I agree 100% except for Nolan who has legend status far beyond his actual on field results. I could probably name 20-30 guys who I would consider worthy of a team hall of fame before even getting to this era.

#2 sealclubber1016, Aug 14, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
    davidio840, Nook and MadMax like this.
  3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'd still retire Berkman & Oswalt. Probably Dierker as well just for his combined service to the team. I think a 10 year minimum is good.

The HOF is a little ridiculous, but heck, its largely about nostalgia. I would certainly dump Aspromonte, Umbricht & Hofheinz. The rest, no major problem, though it would have been better if they had limited it to a smaller initial 2 classes so that they could have honored 2 guys each year for a decade.

No Worries likes this.
  4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I agree that the organization went way too far in over compensating for not having a HOF for 55+ years.

There should not be more than 1 player for every 4-5 years of team existence. That would be 12-16 as of 2023.

As for numbers retired, it should be an honor reserved for the top 10-20% of team HOFers but also for players who should be remembered ( Jim Umbricht*) and have special place in history of team but not eligible for HOF. If there are 12-16 HOF, there should be 3-5 numbers retired.

For HOF, there should be time/game requirements. 7 years and 700g =34 position players. 7 years and 100g =27 pitchers.

12-16 of 61 eligible is top is 20-26% of all eligible players.

That should be absolute minimum and still likely too lenient.

I disagree that anything to do with other teams should affect the Astros HOF or number retired.

Just because a player was great or did something noteworthy with another organization should not impact how they are thought of or remembered for the Astros.

As for non-players they should be even more rare than players. I would say managers/coaches should be 2-3 max and broadcasters or other not on the field personnel should be also 2-3 max.

* not saying Jim Umbricht should or should not have his number retired. Simply giving an example of who might be who is eligible for my point.

#4 IdStrosfan, Aug 14, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
  5. Salvy

Salvy Member

What's the earliest we can retire #15 and send him to The Astros hall of fame?

6. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I don't disagree with Bregman probably not getting his # retired, based on trajectory. But he is still under 30 and could rebound back to closer to his career #s. He was easily the best player on that 2019 team that may have been the best Astros squad of all time. And he's in the small group that won two rings with the team. He's got a higher career OPS than Tucker. I can see him making a good case if he sticks around through another contract.

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

This is just a guess, but I would think any player who is on 3 teams that win the World Series for a single franchise will have his number retired by that team. If the Astros win another ring in the next 2 seasons then I think Bregman and Verlander both probably have their numbers retired by the Astros. (Altuve’s number being retired is a given at this point.)

8. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

What about Lance in that scenario? Especially if he was to pitch well in that hypothetical 3rd championship run.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I watched my first favorite Astro enshrined into the Astros HOF this weekend and it was awesome so I’m so glad you’re losing this argument in reality, @Hey Now!

The Beard likes this.
  10. MadMax

I think an Astros HOF that doesn’t include Hofheinz would be silly, honestly…but that’s me

HatsForBats, The Beard and IdStrosfan like this.
  11. Hey Now!

I was around for the 80s, and my opinion then is the same as it is now: what made Bill Doran stand out wasn't Bill Doran, necessarily - but the sea of mediocrity around him. It is - until ~2015 - a remarkably forgettable franchise with very few signature players and moments. So why have a Hall of Very Good? (And I would not argue Bill Doran was "low key great." Jimmy Wynn, IMO, was low-key great. Bill Doran was, like most of the 80s Astros, very easy to forget.)

I certainly understand the point of keeping legacies alive that maybe don't have a wider audience - but they should find a way to do that without making their Hall of Fame just an endless collection of guys who played for the team.

12. Hey Now!

I thought of you when I posted this! Very nearly offered an pre-emptive apology. To be fair, there are 5, 6, 7 guys in their Hall of Fame I'd jettison before Bill Doran.

(But I'd still come for Doran, eventually, lol....)

MadMax likes this.
  13. jayfree

jayfree Member

If the HOF doesn't include Ensberg and Hidalgo then it's not real

Best 1-hit wonders ever

14. Hey Now!

Apparently, unbeknownst to me, the Astros have re-configured their criteria for retiring jerseys:

So, by that metric, Altuve is *not* a given. The next likely retired number is #35.........

15. MadMax

I think you’re underrating Doran, but regardless I don’t ultimately care. I get the concern over retired numbers…but the HOF is just a “for the fans” thing. Doran was an insanely popular and loved player on that team…which makes him more than just another guy.

I wore my Doran jersey Saturday night and a guy came up to me to tell me that Doran was his favorite player ever, and he named his first son Doran after him. That’s wild.

Ultimately, it’s a tiny 3 foot wide box on the Crawford box walkway. Connects me deeper to my team…makes me think about my grandparents…and then got to share that moment with Doran there on the field again with my kids. They were both excited to go see that with me. To me that’s what a team HOF is for. Moments like that. I prefer that to formulas and VORP. It’s why I watch (and pay too much for all of it!)

16. MadMax

In the Hall of MadMax Frustration there’s a tribute to Ensberg switching batting stances repeatedly in the same at bat during the 2005 World Series.

17. Buck Turgidson

This.

The Beard likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

Nolan Ryan deserves to have his number retired with the Astros.

He is one of the most iconic players in big league history, he also pitched on the Astros longer than any other team, including the Angels. He pitched nearly 2,000 innings with the Astros, won an ERA title, pitched in the post season in 1980, 1981 and 1986. His FIP was lower on the Astros than any other team, checking in at 2.87. In the Astrodome, if he had played on better defensive teams, be could have had an era in the 2.60-2.70 span over 9 years (his FIP is 2.87).

He was also the most popular player on the Astros during that decade span. He finished in the top 5 for Cy Young twice with the Astros and also had another pair of top 10 finishes.

Mike Scott had more than just a great 1986....he was very good for 5 straight years before his arm gave out...... he won 18, 18, 16, 14, 20 with the Astros and in his last healthy season, he finished second in the Cy Young balloting. Overall in that 5 year stretch he finished in the top 7 of Cy Young voting 3 times and top 15 in the MVP voting twice.... in that 5 year span he averaged 5 WAR and led all of baseball in WAR one season.

Maybe the prime of Mike Scott wasn't long enough - he was hurt by age 34 and never healthy again - but he was more than a fluke one year.

19. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think the Astros would still be in Houston without Hofheinz.

donkeypunch and The Beard like this.
  20. MadMax

I have this conversation with friends and my kids a lot….Mike Scott by playoff time in 1986 is only matched by Pedro’s ridiculous season in Boston (in the steroid era). He was terrifying to opponents, and the 86 Mets still talk about that.

IBTL and Nook like this.