1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Adventures of Pete and Pete

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FranchiseBlade, Jun 5, 2005.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One of the coolest television series ever. It had good music, and great guests who appeared in the show. Steve Buschemi, Michael Stipe, Blondie, Iggy Pop, etc.

The show was incredibly creative, and I miss it a lot. I just found out that it is available on DVD.

Please tell me somebody else out there appreciated this show.

2. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

I never liked this show.....I liked Salute your Shorts, and Legends of the Hidden Teple

3. Yaomania345

Yaomania345 Member

Legends of the hidden temple is pretty dang sweet. That was one of my favorites. I just dont know whats happened to Nickoleaden? over the years. Now ill i see is some sponge running and screaming. Gimme the GUTS and Wild and Crazy kids.

4. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

pete and pete was the schiz. it was later on in the child/teen tv watching stage, but i remember liking it.

5. El Toro

El Toro Contributing Member

1. salute your shorts
    2. snoozles (that's right, i said it)
    3. david the gnome
    4. the adventures of pete and pete
    5. hey dude
    6. fred penner's place
    7. what would you do?
    8. maya the bee
    9. eureka's castle
    10. double dare

that's the running list of nickelodeon classics right there.

1 person likes this.
  6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think this was...the funniest show.........IN THE WOOOORLD!!!!!!!

The older Pete is the weird guy in those Ameritrade commercials. Little Nona, the younger Pete's friend, is Michelle Trachtenberg. She's grown into quite the hottie. She's the chic in Eurotrip.

I loved the characters in that show. Loved Pit Stains. :D

7. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

DAMN RIGHT! I loved this show!!! Great, more damn DVD's I'm gonna have to buy.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I liked the show, but would never spend the money on a dvd set.....rather spend it at the bars...

9. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I loved that show. Definately need to pick up the DVDs. BTW, Legends of the Hidden Temple, Guts, etc. can all be seen on a Nick spinoff channel that shows all the good stuff from back in the day. I particularly like watching old Rocko's Modern Life eps every now and then if I stumble accross one. Hefer, you silly cow...

10. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

And Juliana Hatfield, mmm mmm mmm. Junior high KDizzle had quite the crush on her.

She always took the less-glamorous cameos, its safe to say. A cafeteria worker in "Pete and Pete," and a homeless lady in "My So-Called Life."

11. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

in other DVD news, Clarissa Explains It All came out the same day this DVD came out.

speaking of old school TV shows, this wasnt on Nickelodeon, but does anybody else wants Paker Lewis Can't Lose? I read some EW a few months back about the best TV shows on DVD and they had a section that was "Most Wanted Cult Classic" and listed Paker. Damn, I would pay loads of money to watch those again :)

12. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

Salute your shorts was the sh*t! I think the redheaded guy on there used to play Sam on Diff'rent Strokes.

I also remember a show on Nick that had to do with the 7 cities of gold. I'm sure someone remembers it. It was animated. That show rawked!

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Parker Lewis Can't Lose, Salute Your Shorts, and the Adventures of Pete and Pete raised me as a child because my parents were too busy.

And I turned out allright, didn't I?

14. Robert Snyder

Robert Snyder Contributing Member

On Nickelodeon I always liked Mr. Wizard, You Can't do That on Television, Salute Your Shorts, Hey Dude (very hot women on that show), the show where they told scary stories around the campfire, Double Dare, and Ren & Stimpy. Amazing that they got away with showing Ren & Stimpy on a KIDS NETWORK!

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Are You Afraid of the Dark?

That show had a few episodes that were pretty scary.. mostly because of my life long phobia of clowns that eat people.. but still, scary nonethelelss.

16. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Nickelodeon and MTV are proof that Viacom might be the most evil multimedia conglomerate ever...yes, even more evil than Clear Channel!

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The thing about Pete & Pete is that the two Pete's accepted strange things for what they were and show didn't try and explain it. They let the audience either get it, or not get it. That seems like the way it was when I was a kid in the suburbs. We had strange little rules, elevated people to superhero status without their knowing it, or anyone else ever understanding why.

The younger Pete has a tattoo, and that is never really explained in the series. People just have to accept the fact that an 11 year old kid has a large tattoo of a dancing lady on his arm. Typically shows always try and explain things like that, when it isn't necessary.

It was incredibly creative, and as strange as it was it seemed to capture the essence of being a kid in suburbia much more than other mainstream shows.

18. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I always appreciate good writing.

Pete and Pete was a welcome indulgence when I was in college.

19. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

OK who else had a crush on BRAD on hey dude??

20. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I rarely got the opportunity to see Pete & Pete. I just remember every time Michelle Trachtenberg would do something (Harriet the Spy, Buffy), I would think back to Pete & Pete.

Looking back, it is insane that they got away with Ren & Stimpy on a kid's network. I think it's partly for two reasons: 1) many cartoons fed to children historically (like Looney Tunes) often had adult jokes or setups to begin with; 2) I think Cartoon Network just sort of mistakenly assumed, well, if it's a silly cartoon, it's appropriate for kids. In the U.S., we tend to think of cartoons as kid's entertainment by default, as opposed to Japan, where cartoons/anime as a medium is much broader.