1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thank you Rafael Stone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketchamp, Mar 30, 2024.

1. T for 3

T for 3 Member

All of that would make a lot more sense if Harden hadn't b****ed his way out of two more teams since then. He did inherit a finished product, but then Harden did his thing and that's that. ....Anyway none of that matters because look where the team is now. He and Stone have done a great job objectively. But of course lets not talk about that, lets go back to the end of the Harden era and blame Tilman.

2. sefril

sefril Member

Lol, i thought he’s Hawaii, put some tattoo like the Rock or Roman Reigns and he can join the bloodline in WWE

cmoak1982 likes this.
  3. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

I mean you're the guy that said Stone's results were "good & bad", but can't seem to tell us what's exactly bad about the results we've seen after our 4 year rebuild. Can you not explain your own words?

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No need to explain.
    He’s done well getting Alp, Jalen, Tari, Jabari and some others. But trying to extend Oladipo, some trades, success over the last couple years are negatives.
    Youre acting like he’s a top GM in the league, he’s not. He might get there if Alp and Jalen keep on their trajectory.

BallSoHarden and AroundTheWorld like this.
  5. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

He's black lol. I doubt the words "incompetent" would be aimed at Presti had he had the same results. Plus some fans didn't even give the guy a chance, and now that we're seeing fantastic results nobody mentions his performance

You mention KPJ, but that didn't cost us anything. Plus KPJ wasn't charged with anything. Presti has a active pedophile in his starting line up right now, is that a reflection of his job as OKC GM? Why aren't ppl talking about the culture OKC has? See the difference in perception. Also every GM rebuilding a roster has misses. But the RESULTS say our GM has given us a fantastic product that the league is on notice of. Why aren't you more thankful?

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No one knew that dude was mixed. No one cared.
    Everyone knows you care about the color of peoples skin. But stop with the victim mentality.
    Stone will be judged on his results, it’s a mixed bag so far but overall positive. He’s still not a basketball guy, and his major hits in Alp and Tari seem to have been from other parts of the scouting team per people in the know

7. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Everyone knows you make dumb statements and can't even explain them. Stone already handed us the best young talented roster, future picks, cap space & the best coach in the NBA. We are set for years to come. What other dumb logic could you tell me is bad about that?

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Wow. Says the dumbest poster on these forums. Literally nothing you say has any statistical value or actual merit to it.
    There isn’t a person in the league that thinks Stone is an upper tier GM. He might get there, but he isn’t there now.

9. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Again, you said Stone has done good & bad. Explain the bad?

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Look Rafael, I think you’re an average GM at this point. You got lucky Alp bailed you out and Jalen is playing extremely well right now.
    You relied on your scouting department to make you look good, so that’s good.
    Trying to extend Oladipo, missing out on Allen and other things have not been good.
    You’ll get there though. But no, I’m not going to crown you because you have done an ok job so far. When the team starts winning, then you can pump your chest out.
    Til then, stay white looking and be mad no one thinks you’re black

11. xaos

xaos Member

0.0000000000000% of my opinion of Stone is race-based and I'd imagine a very large majority have the same stance.

12. xaos

xaos Member

Ah now I remember rocketschamp.

13. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Yes the guy who said all year Jalen Green shouldn't be traded & he's a superstar

14. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Lucky on Al P, Jalen, Tari, Bari, Amen, Cam, FVV & Brooks? Thats alot of luck Lol. Relied on scouting department to scout talent? Um, that's their job. You're just babbling nonsense

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I don't think you count the lottery picks as a GM talent in scouting. All of them were well known top prospects that were popular choices that most gms would have chosen at the time.

I give credit to scouting for Alpi and Tari. Cam was also luck in the sense it was the blatantly obvious pick at 20.

clos4life likes this.
  16. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

A lot of what Stone has done has been a result of opportunity. There have not been many examples in league history where a GM is able to trade generational talent and every piece off a contending team, and then allowed to tank for 3 full years, he was given a ton to work with, more than any other GM I can think of. Hes made some good moves outside of the obvious choices in making a move to get Sengun, the Tari Eason pick was solid where we took him, the Eric Gordon trade to move up to essentially get Cam could end up being the best move he has made. I think he did a good job on building a veteran bench unit, Jeff Green, Holiday, and Jock have all proven their worth with us. FVV was needed, it is an overpay, but not a bad contract and he has helped in developing Amen personally. Jalen working out should save his job for now.

I do not see him as some sort of genius yet, because he hasnt really made a lot of moves to turn 3 or 4 quarters into a dollar which we saw Morey consistently do. He has burned some picks and assets without getting a return for them, because he was handed an unprecedented amount to work with I don't think people really notice the wasted picks on Garuba, tyty, JayGup, etc. He has yet to show his ability to negotiate trades well. The Harden trade to Brooklyn is looking good, but there was some luck in how quickly that blew up. It really should not have since that group barely played together and they are all still very good players on their new teams.

I am a bit concerned with his ability to manage assets, he will eventually need to make some tough decisions when it comes time to paying everyone and actually dealing with the Nets picks. This is going to be a tough task for anyone, this area was what Morey was really good at. Morey seemed to be 5 or 6 steps ahead and every year at the press conference after the deadline he would sit there w bloodshot eyes saying he hadnt slept and was on the phones with just about every team, Stone has said multiple times how he feels like he doesn't really need to do anything during the season or deadline. Morey had the mindset to constantly and incrementally want to improve the roster, I like this mentality, you never know what is available unless you make every call possible.

As exiting as our young roster is and the potential for the Nets picks, the team has won 11 straight games and is still not in the play in, so it is tough to really paint him as elite.

xaos likes this.
  17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

18. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Just getting in POSITION to have multiple lottery picks is good GM work. Remember all the bad contracts he took? All of that was for a reason

19. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

20. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Oh you mean the team you're wanting to break up?

No shame

xaos likes this.