1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thank You Drayton Mclane!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by MoBalls, Jan 9, 2005.

1. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

So we didnt get Beltran, but I have to give it up to Drayton. The man tried and put more than enough cash on the table for Beltran. He also called many times and kept it in Carlos's ear that Houston really wanted him. I'm not gonna blame Purpura either because it was Draytons cash that would have brought him here. To me , this just tells me that it "isnt about winning", its about the cash. So go with the Mets Carlos and I hope all is well for you there. Dont want you if you dont want us. I'm still an Astros fan.

Thank You Drayton!

2. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I agree.

F'n greedy athletes. It's always about the money. This is why I'm not a huge baseball fan. I'll watch the occasional game, but I only go to a few games a year.

Thanks Drayton, for giving it the ole college try.

3. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

I agree....

4. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

yeah, can't do all that much more

sadly... it'll be a long few next offseasons :eek:

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

And the offseason isn't over yet.

If we can sign someone like Ordonez and some bullpen help, I think we can still be contenders, especially with the luster off the Cubs and the Cards losing some key players (despite picking up Mulder).

Thanks Drayton for going hard after the best free agent this season. Thank you for not allowing us to become the Rangers, Brewers, Pirates, Reds, Rockies, Expos, Tigers, Royals, Devil Rays, or any other sad sack team that never has a chance. Your ownership gave this town the baseball season it has ever seen and for that, I will always be grateful.

6. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

Carlos Beltran
    Carlos Boozer

Wow the similarities in those two names are striking.:D

7. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

ordonez = boras

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't think that precludes us from signing him. I'd rather not deal with a Boras client, but I wouldn't make it a rule if we could get a player of his that could help us.

9. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

hmm....... i would

i definitely would

lol

10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

Hey, maybe we can try to lure Ordonez with another hometown discount strategy.

11. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I'm just flat out, tired of hearing this.

12. Buck Turgidson

Can we all just agree that DR8ON SUX and that "we" will all be better off when the consortium of Landry's Inc. and the Kroc Foundation buys the Stros?

In the spring, baseball will still be here for those that love it.

13. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I don't want Ordonez. He is a step down from Beltran in every way. He is slow. He is older. He doesn't have Beltran's power. And by the way, look at his salary from last year, 14 mil. That's about what we were going to pay Beltran.

I saw we swing a trade for Jose Cruz Jr, sign Hideo Nomo and give him a chance at the 4th or 5th starter spot, and find some quality middle relief help.

14. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

TRUTH HURTS.

15. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Without Beltran in either line-up, what exactly puts the Astros head and shoulders above the Mets?

16. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Yes. Thank you Drayton McLane for betting the future of the franchise in a high stakes poker game in which Beltran held all the cards :rolleyes: . Like it or not, by choosing to pursue Beltran, it was a Beltran-or-else proposition and he needed to be prepared to go the distance. Knowing the history of the agent he was dealing with and knowing that his max offer was going to be below what Beltran was pursuing, and knowing that a deadline date gives the agent the upper hand, I think it was too risky to pursue Beltran and he should have pulled out a month ago to pursue other free agents. This is Randy Johnson part deaux.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Did you feel this way a few days ago? I doubt it.

18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

So....do we still get Clemens on this not so good looking team?

Aren't we missing 2 starters in our rotation still?

19. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

It doesn't matter how I feel. Only McLane knew what his ceiling and Beltran's wish list was. If he knew his best bid was going to be below Beltran's asking price, he should've moved on. That's the point. You're going after the most sought after free agent in baseball. There are going to be competitors.

20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

The point was they DIDN't know his best bid was going to be below Beltran's asking price. You don't know what other teams are bidding? By your logic, everyone should pull out, because the supposed asking price was 10 yrs 200 million.

Genius, let all the GMs know! Pull out now! Cause you're not going to get him! Alert alert!