1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thank you, Chris Simms

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Major, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Major

Major Member

OK, you guys all know this post was coming after this disaster. I'm not going to "make you all eat crow" as some suggested, because I wanted Simms to be as good as hype too. He's just not. I have no problem blasting him, though.

First off, this was easily my most exciting day as a college football fan -- and the most up-and-down.

Started with Miami winning big (downer). VT nearly comes back (listening on the radio -- big UP!). VT loses (downer) Tennessee takes a 14-0 lead (up), Florida storms back (down). Tennessee holds on (HUGE UP!). Now, a win gives us a 50% shot at the Rose Bowl. Texas dominates the first few drives -- running and passing at will, shutting down Colorado (huge up). Then all hell breaks loose (huge down). Major comes in (small up). Major throws TD pass (huge up). On and on in the second half (more and more ups). Roughing-the-punter (huge down). Damn loss (enormous down).

So thank you, Chris Simms, for giving me the most exciting day in my college football life, and the most exciting game I've ever seen live. Thank you also for costing us any shot at a national title. Now, please, go to the damn NFL.

You all already know my beefs with Simms -- can't read defenses, can't deal with pressure, sucks in general :).

Well, I had forgotten just how good Major was. He came in and threw the ball all over the field -- deep, short, in, out -- and hit receivers IN-STRIDE. Half his incompletions were catchable balls. He did this with limited practice time with the first team. I honestly didn't expect him to come in to the game, no matter how bad it got. At best, I hoped they would put him in for a series so Simms could just watch from the sideline (this was after the 2nd turnover). I also found it interesting that Major was able to do phenomenally better against the same defense, same coverage, same everything that Simms sucked against. There was always that underlying question of whether us Major fans were inflating Major's abilities and downplaying Simms. I don't believe that to be the case anymore.

Sadly, the argument behind starting Simms was that Applewhite would get us a 9-3 season, and Simms was guy who could get us to a national championship game. In a strange twist of fate, we may very well have been in the Rose Bowl if Major was the starter. :(

After the f#@$ed up Colorado "fake punt" (one of the dumbest calls I've ever seen), and after we got the initial stop, there was no question in my mind we'd drive 80-99 yards and win the game 37-36. No doubt whatsoever. That's the "pressure" performance I have been (excessively) harping on, and that's what I think makes Major special. Unfortunately, the roughing the punter happened and we were screwed. I know the punt-block was an iffy call, but I still agree with it. They had 4 people out wide, leaving 6 at the line. Blitz 8-10 people and you're bound to get someone through. If we had gotten it, it would have been a likely TD because half their team would have been down field.

I really feel sorry for this team and the fans. I hate to put the blame of Simms' shoulder, but I don't see where else it belongs. Simms gave Colorado 19 points (INT-TD, INT-10yd line, FUM-15yd line, missed extra point, missed 2pt conv). It's really that simple. We put together one of the best defenses in the nation. Our special teams (except kick-coverage) were phenomenal. The offense has all the talent in the world and was able to perform to perfection under Applewhite. The play-calling was fine. Everyone on this team deserved an opportunity to at least be in Rose Bowl contention, and they all played their hearts out. We can only hope they'll survive next year's schedule for another opportunity.

I also want to say that I was impressed with Colorado. I figured they'd run some -- not nearly that well -- but what surprised me was the clutch 3rd-and-longs that they converted. When they needed 11 yards, they'd get 13. I didn't think they could pass on our defense -- not when we were expecting it. That last drive was simply amazing, and they made every big play.

Now, couple of things I hope for:

(1) Applewhite gets to start the bowl game. He's earned it. He's done everything you could ask for. He's been treated unfairly (in my opinion) by the coaching staff this year. Let him go out on top. I'm going to be pissed as hell if Simms starts against UW (presuming we're in the Holiday Bowl).

(2) I still want Simms to succeed. I want him to have some phenomenal NFL combines and some NFL team drafts him and gets him the hell away from UT. Best case scenario for him would be a lower-first-round pick by a team like Oakland. He can sit on the bench for a few years and learn to play until Gannon or someone similar retires. I still think its a crock that some team (this year or next) will pay him millions of dollars, having shown nothing at the college level.

(3) Assuming #2 doesn't happen, I hope Mack Brown gives Chance Mock and any other UT QB's a *FAIR* shot at winning the job. I still honestly believe that Major would have won the job based on performance, and I have a bad feeling that Simms will get the job by default next year. I can't wait to read how Brown spins this crap.

(4) If #3 doesn't happen (or Simms actually wins the job), I hope Simms:

* Learns to read defenses
    * Learns to hit receivers in-stride
    * Learns to look off receivers
    * Learns that no matter how strong your arm is, throwing to one receiver covered by 18 defensive backs is not a formula for success
    * Learns the difference between Receivers and Defensive Backs, and learns which ones you throw to

If he doesn't improve by leaps and bounds (and maybe even some additional bounds), he's going to slaughtered by the Nebraska & KSU pass rushes (to make it worse, I think we lose 3-4 offensive linemen due to graduation)

(5) Tennessee loses to LSU and Nebraska gets a shot in the Rose Bowl. I think they are the only remaining team that can beat Miami (mainly because they are "unique" and can pound the ball against Miami's one weakness -- run defense.) I'd like the National Title to stay in the Big 12. Miami can slaughter your run-of-the-mill good team, but Nebraska brings a unique brand of football to the table. (BTW, congrats, Manny, on your team making the Rose Bowl. I wish it was UT you were facing :()

The future of the Big 12 looks awesome. UT/OU/NEB/CU are all potential national title contenders. KSU should be back. Tech is improving by leaps and bounds. A&M is loaded talent-wise, and should be competitive if they choose to fire RC.

2. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Man, the fact that Neb, who got their butts WHOOPED up and down Boulder just LAST WEEK, gets to go to the Rose Bowl is mind boggling.

I've always been a staunch defender for the BCS system, but this is starting to make me want a playoff system.

The BCS works if there are teams who win to get the #2 spot. Right now there are tons of teams who don't want it.

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Shanna:

That was a great and classy post. I thought about you last night as I was watching that game. Unfortunately, I was in this Christmas concert that I do every year and I wound up missing the end of the Tennessee-Florida game and most of the first half of the Texas-Colorado game.

I couldn't believe that Tennessee won for the first time since '71 in the Swamp, and I also couldn't believe that Colorado was beating Texas 29-10.

I was really hoping for Texas to get to the Rose Bowl after Florida losing because of you guys on the BBS. Needless to say I wasn't happy last night. The last thing that I want is for my beloved Canes (who looked like they were playing not to lose in the 2nd half & it almost killed them) to play Tennessee in the NC game. Because knowing my luck, the Vols will upset Miami and I will never hear the end of it. These Tennessee fans that I know still rub it in about the '86 Sugar Bowl.

So, I can definitely handle you guys on the BBS better than these redneck Vol fans in real life. Good luck on your bowl game and I hope that Major will be given a chance to start.

4. Major

Major Member

<B>I was really hoping for Texas to get to the Rose Bowl after Florida losing</B>

Me too!! :)

<B>The last thing that I want is for my beloved Canes (who looked like they were playing not to lose in the 2nd half & it almost killed them) to play Tennessee in the NC game. Because knowing my luck, the Vols will upset Miami and I will never hear the end of it. These Tennessee fans that I know still rub it in about the '86 Sugar Bowl. </B>

I don't know. Tennessee STILL does not impress me that much. The squeaker by Kentucky just seems part of a long line of sketchy performances. Florida seemed more the exception than the rule. Then again, they are 10-1 and their coach has been to the National Title game before and won. I still think Miami would kick their ass, though.

Go Nebraska!

BTW, if an admin reads this thread, please change my username to "Major" if possible. I was trying to stay away from that controversy, but after the events of the last 24 hours, I think it is appropriate. :)

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Serious or joking? I couldn't tell with the smiley face... I can change it if you want ...

6. Major

Major Member

<B>Serious or joking? I couldn't tell with the smiley face... I can change it if you want ...</B>

Seriously. I've been needing to change it, and I'm apparently never going to get around to the whole poll/picking names, etc.

Thanks, Clutch!

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

No problem.... I went ahead and changed it, and it should reflect on all your posts. I also added to your signature "the poster formerly known as <B>shanna</B>", so people know about the change. I'd leave it for a little while (or change it to whatever text you want as long as people can understand your nick changed) and then get rid of it once people make the connection.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

*sniffle*

The sexiest poster on the bbs is no more. :(

9. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Love the new name, dude. With a name like Major we'll know you are all man. Whereas if you were named Chris there might still be confusion :)

10. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I'm right here pal. Whatcha talking about? I'm not going anywhere.

BTW, the better team lost last night.

11. Major

Major Member

<B>I also added to your signature "the poster formerly known as shanna", so people know about the change. I'd leave it for a little while (or change it to whatever text you want as long as people can understand your nick changed) and then get rid of it once people make the connection.</B>

Will do -- I didn't expect the change to be retroactive! Thanks again.

12. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Any pics?

13. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

yeah 3 by simms

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Do I get royalties off of this name change? You pretty much went with my suggestion (Major Applewhite). I can't remember if there was a reward or not.

15. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Major,

Colorado impressed me too, but we still would have beaten them if Chris had not spotted them 24 points and got our best runner and off lineman out for the game.

I have followed the Longhorns since the 70's. I was very impressed with this team's potential. My impression in games was like a sleeping giant slowly waking up, then starting to hit stride in the second or third quarter. The scary thing is that I don't believ that they ever neared their potential.

I don't know if its because we're young or what, but in some ways I felt like the team mirrored Simm's mental status, just to a lesser degree. They seemed to lack some confidence, or maybe it was just a lack of comprehension about how good they could be.

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

don't overrate what major did saturday night. yes, he was light years better than simms. in fact, marshall applewhite would've likely outplayed simms, but don't forget: a) just as you can credit major for not getting to work with the first team in practice, you also have to remember colorado likely hadn't spent a moment's thought game-planning for applewhite at all; b) texas was down big and had to throw. a lot. major threw what? 25 passes in just over a half? that averages out to nearly 50 throws. if your QB completes just 45% of those, he's hitting on 23. for any QB worth his salt, that's an advantageous situation; c) taking nothing away from major, texas did have to settle for two FG's on second half major drives, and as steve spurrier said saturday night -- in a high scoring game, FG's will kill you. his only TD drive was late in the game after colorado had all but sewn it up (though the team tried like hell to give it away).

again, i think that's overrating major's performance. when the game was still in the balance, colorado's defense was pretty stiff. it was only after the got up 19 that they seemed to understandably relax, especially with simms going down. and texas got a tremendous, unfathomable break (that major had nothing to do with) when barnett decided to shove his head up ralphie's ass on the fake punt.

well, colorado rolled up 223 yards of rushing -- it's tough to come back if your offense is on the sidelines.

and i'll say this (btw, i should probably state my affiliation: a&M. i'm a simms watcher because i'm a houston texan fan, but otherwise, don't care much about the longhorns, tho i was rooting for them): as bad as simms played, i think he suffers from a lack of coaching, i really do. i think the things he does wrong (and you mentioned most of them) are correctable with good coaching. could be he's immature and isn't listening to the coaches, or that he's dumb and not able to pick up on what they're trying to teach him, i don't know. but a QB making his 12th start of the year shouldn't be so confused by zone packages, and that has nothing to do with his skills. it's coaching, on some level. i still think if simms goes to a team with a patient, respected teacher (i'm talking nfl here), that he'll make a fine pro. in fact, if it is coaching, or lack of, that's holding him back, he might benefit from leaving texas, even if he hasn't done much yet.

simms will, presumably, be there next year, and since that's what you're playing for, you have to get him back on the horse and see if you can't restore some confidence. i'd hate to have my starter next year chew on the colorado game all off-season. let him get back out there and prove it was a fluke (assuming he can).

it's funny, how, all in the same paragraph, you can wish simms success, and then sound so bitter about him possibly achieving it.

i agree, an nfl apprenticeship might be the best thing for him, tho. the guy has a long way to go, and i am starting to doubt whether he has it. but if you're mack brown, you have to field the best team possible, and simms is part of that formula. he has, at times, looked very good this year. he got better when benson emerged and some of the pressure was lifted off of him.

the a&m game especially, i thought he showed poise, maturity and best of all, patience. he didn't do anything to win that game, but he did nothing to lose it, either. he swallowed his stats, let benson wear a&m down and took the big picture, aka the win.

saturday, he looked horrible. it was as poor a performance as he could possibly have -- he seemed to regress. this kid may just prove to be an enigma. i'm anxious to see how he responds in the bowl game (assuming he starts).

17. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

After Saturday night, I only have left one thing to say:

God help the Houston Texans if they waste their first-ever first round draft choice on Chris Simms.

18. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Excellent post Major. Agree with pretty much everything, including that Simm's learns from this and becomes significantly better next year. I don't think this is impossible, a completely, total, crushing blow like this will shift him in one direction or another big time, my hope is for the positive. We will see, whether this Texas team fulfills its potential and wins the title is largely dependent on it.

Simms just hasn't been a good player when the going gets tough. I have taken a number of shots at Davis, who sucks relative to the competition (other OCs at major programs). However, Mack Brown is responsible for putting the guy who obviously should have started all year on the bench, and putting Davis in his role. To excuse the guy who is THE ONE GUY supposed to be responsible for the big picture and providing overall guidance is criminal.

It also really bugs me not only how Brown doesn't seem to learn from mistakes, but that in front of criticism he gets ultra-defensive and cannot admit fault. That guy needs to go to his team, and the media, and admit he blew it. He needs, and needed to before, take the heat of of college kids and put it on himself. That is what a true leader does. If CU had blewn it, I am pretty sure Barnett who have said it was his fault. Bowden would have, Osbrun would have. But Mack Brown seems incapable of recognizing his mistakes, in fact gets further reactionary and sticks with bad decisions (AKA Kevin Gilbride), in short, he is spineless tunnel visioner.

19. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

The thing is we didn't need a great QB performance to win either the OU game or the CU game. We outgained both teams, the main thing we needed was someone not to make major mistakes in those games. In the CU game, Simms or Applewhite moved up and down the field pretty good, their were not a whole lot of UT punts, it was unforced turnovers that was the difference.

CU is a fine rushing team. However, had they been behind like they were going to be (at least 10-0 before Simms 1st huge mistake) they surely would have thrown an increasing percentage. While CU certainly would not have given up on the run entirely being down 14-0, it most certainly would have impacted the mix to Texas's advantage.

I agree here, not just in the "tutoring" of Simms but in offensive play calling. Most of Simms mistakes are when teams know he is going to thrown and have an idea the type of routes. Unfortunately even on 1st down mean teams know what Texas is going to do because of the formation and motion. It doesn't take a genious to know having the LBs and safeties guess what you are going to do makes your offense a whole lot smoother and takes some pressure of being near perfect (really hard to to do against good defenses in difficult conditions). That is why I think the Major versus Simms difference is so great with the Texas offense, because Major can improvise the predictability out of the offense. I am still hopefull if Simms can grow a little and the O playcalling gets a little more creative (taking some pressure off of him more) so the Horns can be a force next year. Their defense and skill players around the QB next year will be eaily among the top 3 in the league and arguably the best. Maybe they don't need miracles from the QB position, perhaps just modest improvement in Simms (be like Dilfer, you can suck, but just don't make the major mistake and let the rest of the players secure the W) coupled with better playcalling that uses the talent around it.

#19 Desert Scar, Dec 3, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2001
  20. Major

Major Member

<B>a) just as you can credit major for not getting to work with the first team in practice, you also have to remember colorado likely hadn't spent a moment's thought game-planning for applewhite at all</B>

What do you gameplan differently? Major is a slower & weaker Chris Simms. Unless Colorado planned for Chris being a dumbass, I don't see how the gameplan changes. We run the same exact offense, with the only difference being that Applewhite can find receivers.

<B>; b) texas was down big and had to throw. a lot. major threw what? 25 passes in just over a half? that averages out to nearly 50 throws. if your QB completes just 45% of those, he's hitting on 23. for any QB worth his salt, that's an advantageous situation; </B>

The point isn't how many he threw, but how many he completed. Colorado also KNEW he was going to throw nearly every down (especially with Benson hurt) and he still was able to throw all over the field.

<B>c) taking nothing away from major, texas did have to settle for two FG's on second half major drives, </B>

Agreed, and that really sucked. Keep in mind though, on one of those, we dropped the TD pass. On the other, we ran on third and short and didn't get it (followed by the false start).

<B>when the game was still in the balance, colorado's defense was pretty stiff. it was only after the got up 19 that they seemed to understandably relax, especially with simms going down. </b>

We punted once and turned the ball over zero times in the Applewhite drives. The punt was the 1st possession of the 2nd half when Roy dropped a 30rd yard pass in his hands and Thomas didn't turn around to catch another long pass. The Colorado defense NEVER really stopped Texas w/ Applewhite in there. Nor should they have because they have a terrible defense.

<B>well, colorado rolled up 223 yards of rushing -- it's tough to come back if your offense is on the sidelines. </b>

Yes and no. The defense got every stop they needed except for one (and they got that before the punt fiasco). Colorado scored 10 points in the 2nd half and didn't have the ball much at all in the 3rd Q. Texas only ran something like 6 fewer plays than Colorado for the game. The difference is the clock stopped on the Texas plays vs. ran on the Colorado plays. So while the time of possession was skewed, the amount of actual snaps for each team was pretty similar. That's why I don't like the time of possession stat at all. If I throw 3 incomplete passes, that eats 20 seconds of clock. If I run 3 times for 0 yards, that eats two minutes. However, the defense spent the same amount of energy in each case.

<B>simms will, presumably, be there next year, and since that's what you're playing for</B>

I don't believe in playing for near year, EVER, especially not in bowl games. Bowl games are rewards for teams. Reward the players that deserve it.

<B>it's funny, how, all in the same paragraph, you can wish simms success, and then sound so bitter about him possibly achieving it. </B>

I'm not bitter about him achieving it -- that would be great. I wanted him to succeed here too, but I don't see anything that tells me he will. Lots of kids are 6'5" and have a strong arm and won't be drafted ahead of him. He's going to make millions of dollars because of his name and that's what annoys me. I also don't believe in paying for potential that's 3-4 years away (in any sport). People should earn their money, but that's a separate rant.

<B>the a&m game especially, i thought he showed poise, maturity and best of all, patience. he didn't do anything to win that game, but he did nothing to lose it, either. </B>

We BARELY won that game. If one ball bounces wrong, we may very well lose. I've never seen us coach like that except this year's OU & A&M. Every other game we've played in the last 4 years under Brown, we've gone right at good opponents. I honestly am starting to believe that the coaches are scared to have him do anything in big games because of exactly what happened on Saturday. When you're not willing to try to go out and win the game because you're scared of a mistake, that's terrible. It's a trend for him, not an exception. If the defense does anything besides straight man-to-man, he's completely lost. He plays well against bad teams, in my opinion, because they simply don't have the athletes, talent, or coaching to keep up with our team. There's a reason they are bad, and that's because mediocre QB's can beat them.

I would like to believe he could learn all these things with coaching, but these are things that just about every decent QB in the country can already see. He just makes the same mistakes over and over and over again. Major provides an enormous contrast simply because he's the exact opposite in that he's extremely bright, but even a run of the mill average QB (Chance Mock?) doesn't seem to make these kinds of mistakes on this kind of scale. Casey Clausen is a perfect example here. Tennessee needed him to not screw up to win the Tennessee game, and that's exactly what he did against a great Florida defense. We have so much talent everywhere that all we need is someone who can find what's open and not try to force things. Chance Mock was a pretty high recruit, and I'd like to see if he can do it.