1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Voter ID working brilliantly

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Major, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Major

Major Member

Not at stopping fraud, but making it more difficult for actual registered voters to vote. After forcing both major candidates for Governor to sign affidavits, now it prevented our 90-yr old former Speaker of the House from voting because his Driver's License is expired (presumably because he doesn't drive at 90 years old).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/03/jim-wright-voter-id_n_4210225.html

Former U.S. Speaker of the House Jim Wright (R-Texas) tried to get a voter identification card at a Texas Department of Public Safety office on Saturday.

But the only photo identification cards Wright has -- an expired Texas driver's license and a Texas Christian University faculty identification card -- do not satisfy the requirements of the state's restrictive vote identification law, passed in 2011. Wright is 90 years old.

“I earnestly hope these unduly stringent requirements on voters won’t dramatically reduce the number of people who vote,” Wright told the Star-Telegram on Saturday. “I think they will reduce the number to some extent.”

According to the Star-Telegram, Wright will return to the office Monday to get a Texas personal identification card with a certified copy of his birth certificate.

If Wright successfully obtains a personal ID card on Monday, he will be able to vote on Tuesday. But his assistant, Norma Ritchson, is worried other elderly citizens will face obstacles when trying to vote.

“I’ve been thinking about the people who are in retirement homes,” Ritchson said. “I’ve read that this is the lowest early voter turnout in a long time and I wonder if this [ID requirement] is the cause. We’ve tried so hard to make voting easy, and now the Texas Legislature has made it harder by making you have a photo ID.”

State Sen. Wendy Davis (D-Fort Worth) also ran into problems when attempting to cast an early vote last week. She is identified as Wendy Russell Davis on her driver's license, but listed as Wendy Davis in voter registration rolls. The Democratic gubernatorial candidate had to sign an affidavit of her identity to cast her vote.

And Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott, Davis' potential Republican challenger, had to sign an affidavit due to a similar issue. Abbott is identified as Gregory Wayne Abbott on his driver's license, but only Greg Abbott in his voter registration file. Abbott has defended the voter ID law in court.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

at least it will stop Texas' documented problems with fake ID voter fraud.

3. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Huff Po has party affiliation listed wrong. the linked article has been fixed.

4. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

I was up for it, since it was to discourage voter fraud. Then I realized it was to limit the vote of the minority groups here in Texas. Oh well, what is done is done. But will show my ID to vote. For what its worth.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Sd6TzpgBY5U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

I hate big government. Oh wait

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I actually think this attempt by the GOP to suppress votes won't end until minority folks and elderly and young people who are turned away at the polls start rioting in front of the voting places.

7. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

between four and five million ex cons across the country due to state laws can't vote

8. False

False Member

Voting is too important to be left to the unwashed unidentifiable masses.

9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I guess you must either be a libertarian or maybe just being sarcastic?

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Officials report few problems with Voter ID requirement <a href="http://t.co/OL1go684ag">http://t.co/OL1go684ag</a></p>&mdash; Patti Kilday Hart (@pattihart) <a href="https://twitter.com/pattihart/statuses/397892418889990144">November 6, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. False

False Member

The only person turned away at my precinct was a disabled elderly vet. But who cares what those types think anyway. I bet he didn't even work.

12. bucket

bucket Member

Did they stop any voter fraud?

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sicne when do you have to worry about efficacy before implementing a new regulatory regime - when it comes to voter suppression, best to just pass laws first and worry about the cost benefit later -

GOP

14. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Looks like the Texas law just got struck down. (by the 5th circuit court of appeals no less so not exactly a bastion of liberals)

The court ruled that the law violates Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act. It has now been sent back to a lower court to determine a path forward.

15. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

beautiful!

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No of course not. They did stop a lot of poor liberals from voting though, which is what the purpose of the law was.