1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Texas Summer]Radiant Barrier Foil

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Falcons Talon, May 21, 2019.

1. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Summer is getting here and last summer really pushed our a/c (and energy bill) hard. I've tinted the windows and will eventually go double pane, but for now,I ordered four rolls of radiant barrier to install in the attic and this will be my first official summer project.

In theory, I understand how this should work, but I'd like to know if there will there be an immediate noticeable difference in the comfort of the home. Of course, this is directed at anyone that has a home where radiant barrier was not originally installed and you have experience with the before and after.

justtxyank likes this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

3. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

IT will work well. You will notice the difference as you stand under it even...

If your house has R-30 in the attic, it won't make as much of a difference though since the heat from the attic won't really make it to your house through it. However if you have A/C equipment in there then the barrier does matter, regardless of insulation.

CCity Zero and Falcons Talon like this.
  4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I have no experience to share. However, this sounds more like a winter project than a summer project. You are going to die of heat exhaustion in your own attic like some possum.

whag00, CCity Zero, jev5555 and 4 others like this.
  5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Are we not Texans?

justtxyank likes this.
  6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Youre equating Texans to idiots?

JuanValdez and justtxyank like this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OP can play this while he's suffocating in his attic like some possum

#7 Os Trigonum, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    justtxyank likes this.
  8. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

As long as you hang it in 15 minute increments you should be fine

Falcons Talon and justtxyank like this.
  9. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I'm still trying to figure out the cheapest way to upgrade my old unit from R-22 to the new refrigerant. This will be next on my list though...

10. Falcons Talon

Way ahead of you.

https://www.feldfire.com/Lakeland-5...cY4bedyJ_HKqn802PI2InmOxqhqaqP2gaAp-eEALw_wcB

Seriously though, I plan to do get up early and work before the sun comes up. I'll be on summer vacation this Friday, so I don't have to worry about getting up for work.

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah, but it's gonna take him forever

compass-rose_magnetic-variation-kl2.png

CCity Zero and Roc Paint like this.
  12. Falcons Talon

13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This, lol, **** attic work in the summer

14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah if you do it like at 4am to 10/noon depending it should be fine, I've done work in the hottest attics and I ****ing hate it.... Running a ****ing Ethernet cable or coax etc etc, so hot, and then your plan to be in/out 15min tops ****s up, when you run in to some builders stupid construction...

I've had to do plumbing stuff/electric like everything.... I'm a diy person though, so fortunately it's not my job.

When I'm doing car work, I actually have A/C in my garage.... Only do stuff on the driveway if it makes sense or is that 1 week of awesome weather we normally get....

So, definitely update the thread, how long do you estimate it'll take, I need to do some siding work first but was considering this.

How much do you think it will drop the temp? And are you going to redo vents or anything else?

#14 CCity Zero, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Falcons Talon likes this.
  15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Are you doing the work yourself or hiring someone? And do you currently have issues with the a/c or worrying it's coming? I know a decent amount but am not a/c guy, I was super close to doing my own but.... Found a super legit guy that wasn't ripping me off.

16. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

oh wow. Ed (the guy who made this video and is doing the VO) is my cousins husband. Super stand-up guy. He's been dealing with this for a long time now. He did a ton of research before he jumped in to this business, so you can trust what he says about it.

donkeypunch and Falcons Talon like this.
  17. Falcons Talon

I got up in the attic to look at the structure and the mess up there. Took some measurements too. The pitch on the roof is not to high so I'm going to to be squeezing my thick body into some thin spaces. it wasn't too hot up there at 9pm. I should be getting the materials tomorrow, and I plan to work on it early next week, unless there are good winds and then I will be up at 5 am to go fishing on the bay.

DFWRocket and CCity Zero like this.
  18. Falcons Talon

That's really cool. Small world.

19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

CF is an amazing place.

Rocket River likes this.
  20. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I installed foil in my attic myself about 10 years ago. Did so because the AC in my 3rd story room (converted attic space) would kick on at 2pm and would run continuously until about 10pm getting as hot as 82 by 6pm. It was unbearable. My AC bills in the summer were ~$450/mo. Work wasn't hard at all.

The difference was miraculous. Measuring air temp in the attic was 30 degrees difference. My AC never had trouble keeping up again. The foil is cheap and this easily saved me $150-200/month over 10 years. Probably the best home improvement project I've ever done.