1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas proposes banning Chinese citizens from owning state land

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by edwardc, Feb 26, 2023.

1. edwardc

edwardc Member

2. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Can a US citizen buy land in China?

What’s the very dangerous standard you speak of?

3. adoo

adoo Member

Rep. Lance Gooden (R, TX-5) questions the loyalty of Rep. Judy Chu (D, CA-27) to the U.S.

Gooden is a 3rd term Congressman; he voted not to certify the 2020 presidential election.
    Chu has been a civil servant for close to 4 decades; from mayor, to state lawmaker and a 7-term Congress woman. She voted to certify the 3030 presidential election.
    Chu described Gooden’s remarks as “racist.”

Rep. Gooden’s comments on Fox News questioning my loyalty to the USA is absolutely outrageous. It is based on false information spread by an extreme, right-wing website.
    Furthermore, it is racist. I very much doubt that he would be spreading these lies were I not of Chinese American descent.

[​IMG]

House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D, NY-8) also called out Gooden and pointed out his own “disloyalty” for
    siding with the majority of House Republicans for voting to overturn the presidential election results in favor of former President Donald Trump in 2021.

Lance Gooden’s slanderous accusation of disloyalty against Rep. Chu is dangerous, unconscionable and xenophobic. Congressman Gooden appears to
    sympathize with violent insurrectionists and spreads big lies to the American people, having voted not to certify the election of President Joe Biden.
    Look in the mirror, Lance. You have zero credibility.

#3 adoo, Feb 26, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
    No Worries likes this.
  4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

time served doesn't preclude you from being recruited by the PRC to be a spy. Sen Feinstein's spy was a civil servant for 20 years. It makes you more attractive.

anyways, back and forth between local politicians seems separate from the merits of the issue at hand of stopping certain foreign nationals from buying property in Texas.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw that piece about the proposed law. I have mixed opinions about it. In principle I don’t think it’s racist if it is narrowly focused on blocking PRC citizens on the basis of national citizenship. I see it also blocks citizens of Russia too. The rhetoric around the law and how it might be used to hound and harass Asian Americans could be a problem. The PRC is a strategic rival and a potential threat to the US. Too often though rhetoric targeting the PRC has spilled out to targeting all Asians.

Also the US Constitution specifically gives issues of international trade to the Federal government. So I’m not even sure this law would be constitutional.

6. adoo

adoo Member

No Worries likes this.
  7. Bandwagoner

three issues I think.

Is it even legal or enforceable.

Is it moral in that someone allowed to be here legally is now even more of a 3rd class citizen with the rules suddenly changing.

What would be the pro and cons for the electorate. ie in times of national security sometimes citizens have to take an L but would this be an L or a possible good thing.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Do we really want to lower our standards to that of China? I think absolutely not. While there is a legitimate concern about foreign entities buying up large tracts of land and using our resources, such as water, for their businesses, and then exporting those goods overseas, banning individual buyers is not the answer. History has shown us that this approach is not only unconstitutional, but also morally wrong, and it has been used in the past to justify racist policies.

https://encyclopedia.densho.org/Alien_land_laws/

Alien land laws are most often associated with western states' attempts to limit the presence and permanence of Japanese immigrants from 1913 through the end of World War II by forbidding "aliens ineligible for citizenship" from purchasing, and later from leasing property in the states in which these laws were passed. The total list of states that passed alien land laws or that contained restrictions against aliens ineligible for citizenship owning property in their state constitutions included Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Idaho, Louisiana, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. Alien land laws were ruled unconstitutional by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1952.
    History repeats itself as states move to ban Chinese citizens from buying property | CNN Politics
    New efforts to bar Chinese citizens and others from owning property in Texas and other states echo the treatment of Asian people in the US more than 100 years ago, when Congress barred them from obtaining citizenship and multiple state laws restricted land ownership.

• In Virginia, Gov. Glenn Youngkin is expected to sign legislation to bar citizens of countries the State Department has designated as “foreign adversaries” from owning agricultural land. Companies with deep ties to those countries would also be affected. Those countries currently include China, Russia, North Korea and Iran. There are similar proposals in Montana, Wyoming and North Dakota. Foreign owners control a fraction of US farmland, according to the Congressional Research Service.
    • In Texas, a much broader proposal names those countries and bans citizens of them from owning any land whatsoever. The ban would presumably extend to legal immigrants living in the US. That bill is still working its way through the legislature but has the support of Gov. Greg Abbott.
    The Texas proposal in particular specifically recalls a despicable chapter in US history, when so-called Alien Land Laws were passed in numerous states between the 1880s and 1920s to specifically bar Asian people from owning land. The California Alien Land Law was eventually overturned by the Supreme Court in 1952 for violating the 14th Amendment.

rocketsjudoka and No Worries like this.
  9. Bandwagoner

tinman likes this.
  10. adoo

adoo Member

i wish that you would stop parroting convenient baseless lies.

it is as ridiculous as pizzagate, Obama's citizenship, etc

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I see the free market crowd is at it again in Texas lol

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Commercial real estate is owned by Chinese investors

13. edwardc

edwardc Member

Short answer Yes.
    If this is allowed happen to one group of people why wouldn't they try it with others.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This was made 7 years ago by ucla

Corrosion likes this.
  15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Andre0087 likes this.
  16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Probably would get more support if they suggested to ban liberals and Mexicans from owning property

17. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

If the law bans non-citizens from buying land, then those effected are technically not 3rd class citizens; they're already not citizens. The law doesn't appliy to citizens.

I think multiple things can be true at once:
    • anti-Chinese dog whistling to appeal to certain voters
    • some preemptive security strategy to limit future potential damange on behalf of other state actors.
    It's similar to the Muslim ban in the sense that Trump used it as messaging obviously. Muslim Ban 1.0 was struck down by the courts. Muslim Ban 2.0 was struck down by the courts. Muslim Ban 3.0 was accepted by the courts as constitutional with a note that it was techinally different enough from the previous versions, and Roberts also added that the Ban itself should be viewed separately from Trump's unamerican bloviating, contrasting Trump with George Washington who made appeals to Jews iirc (like from history, not me being there, lol) and also JFK. It was basically Roberts saying Trump is being unpresidential and should STFU about this Ban, but Ban 3.0 is legal enough and not really doing what Trump says it does. Anyhow, I can see these land bills spreading throughout the country.

Nook, Invisible Fan and Astrodome like this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Based on the above it sounds like this law would likely be found unconstitutional based on precedence. Of course this court doesn’t follow precedence all the time.

No Worries, Andre0087 and rockbox like this.
  19. Bandwagoner

In the US we have a single class of citizen, I was using a phrase in common usage to show that legal residents would be even more so restricted. H1B workers already have many restrictions and are under permanent residents which are under US citizens.

Kim likes this.
  20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

No thanks.

Also ironic coming from the party of free markets.

And, if you want to do something to limit the risk of foreign nationals buying up our real estate, maybe just limit purchase of commercial land, or land over a certain acreage so that people can buy a suburban house without a hassle. But also, no thanks.

The 3030 election? That lady sounds pretty sketch.

MadMax likes this.