1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans vs Dolphins

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ROCKSS, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Bradford had a great game too. And Johnson...I can't believe the O line held up like that.....WHOOHOOO!!!

Davis had a bunch of nice runs also.....

Pitts was killing us early, with a number yellow flags on his account. Though overall, everything worked out. :D

2. World B Free

World B Free Member

to say that Pitts killed us is r****ded..........

Randall and Brown had just as many penalties called on them and they were not trying to stop Jason Taylor.......

Pitts showed today that he is gonna be the man at LT for this club, which is what we wanted him to show........

the footage of Pitts locking up on Taylor looks like veteran LT moves to me,

WAY TO GO CHESTER !!!!!!!!!!!!! Boselli who ?

3. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Wait a minute. Did I read the recap right? The Texans won without Gary Walker? :eek:

44 people (little less than half) were knocked out of our office survivor pool because of this game. Although I lost 1 of my 3 picks, I had a funny feeling about this game and decided to pick the 49ers and Lions instead of making all 3 picks Miaimi. One of my friends lost all 3 of his picks on Miami. Sucks to be him! Ha ha!

TEXANS WIN! 1-0 Baaaaaaaby!

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

ok...any links for a Texan's Press Conference?

Tired of listening to the Dolphins crying....

Man...after all that fat lip from Miami players makes it that much sweeter...

5. Maynard

Maynard Member

"One of their players said, `I'll see you after today's practice,"' Houston's Jabar Gaffney said. "That was their thinking - they were looking at us like this was just a little practice."

"They have the last word," Miami linebacker Zach Thomas said. "I don't have any words."

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=1645368

6. BALLhog 247 365

i just ****in got home from astroworld and so the score!!! holy ****!!!

7. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Awesome game!
    Defensive Players of the Game:Seth Payne (The way this guy hustled to the ball was unbelievable. If we can get this effort from our front four every game we'll be unstoppable.), Marcus Coleman (what can I say, he had the game winning interception), and Aaron Glenn (he played great in your face D on the Dolphins' recievers).
    Offensive Players of the Game: Chester Pitts (he shut down Jason Taylor), David Carr (showed complete mastery of the offense today), and Kris Brown (nailed some tough kicks and hit the game winner).

8. BALLhog 247 365

o-line did not allow a sack...what a miracle...if only they can play like this every game...

9. Blitz

Blitz Member

YES!! Way to go Houston. I know I know i was on the money about everything in that post! lol I am very proud of myself. But I am not surprised at all that Houston won. Miami is a good team but with a bad coach and mediocre qb. Like i said, dare Fiedler to throw and things will happen for us. And i am sorry but Andre Johnson is a STUD!!! One thing that got me though, it's gonna be Harrington to Rogers and Carr to Johnson for a long time!!!!! HOUSTON ROCKS

10. farhan007

farhan007 Member

Dont worry your still a good texans fan... not many were expecting us to even get a touchdown...

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

SoooooooProud of the Texans. These are the kind of games that expand your fan base. The offensive line should get major credit. Most of the preseason previews panned the line as the team's weakest link. Today, they looked great. IF they continue to play like this, the Texans, COULD, yes believe it, CONTEND. Wouldn't that be something. They are gutsy, gritty, and tough; I like that! Carr and Johnson are really going to light it up. What a start!

12. farhan007

farhan007 Member

i like your attitude. If the Texans can beat a SUPERBOWL CONTENDER AWAY why cant the win atleast 10 games. I can honestly see them doin what they did today consistintly.

it would be a dream, make that a SUPER DREAM if the houston texans can play in the superbowl in HOUSTON. That would really make this city just go damn crazy. Just imagine it!!!!!

13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Imagining..........SPROING!

I think I just got wood...;)

btw...I did expect at least one TD today.
    but Im a homer, I always expect a win.:D

14. JamesC

JamesC Member

I'm glad the Texans were able to pull out this win. Now I hope they can hold it together for next week. Last season, they played some of their worst games after they won the previous week.

15. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

i didnt care about the winning field goal of kris brown.. well yeah i did.. but not as much as david carr not being sacked in the game!!! OMG!!! :eek: i hope the OL's can do that all season long.. i hate seeing carr get sacked every damn game.

16. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Wow. It wasnt bad enough that my Fins got beat but I had to sit next to my GF who is a die hard Texan fan and listen to her talk smack to me the whole day. Good Job guys, looks like Johnson is going to be an awesome pick. David Carr looked much more comfortable and the O Line did a great job. Good luck the rest of the season!!

17. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Great game Texans!
    As a Cowboy fan I know I'm in for anotehr long year, but would be great to see you guys be competive in all/most games! If you can do it on the road vs. the Dolphins then anything is possible!
    Great game!

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Wow!! I was shocked!!! Fan-freaking-tastic!

If this team comes back to Houston in week 3, 2-0 after beating Miami and New Orleans....look out.

Our defense was outstanding last year...our offensive line and our complete lack of offense was our problem...that seems to be much improved. It doesn't take being an offensive juggernaut to be competitive in this league...a really good defense and a solid offense can get the job done.

Our receiving corps is really, really good. David Carr looks a year older...he looks a year better. I'm psyched.

Bring on the Saints, baby!

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Who dat say they gonna beat dem Saints? Who dat? Who dat?

The Texans. That's who.

I will never doubt my team again. Ever.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I love reading the other team's paper the day after we beat them. :D

Posted on Mon, Sep. 08, 2003

'Practice' makes imperfect
    Pregame joke backfires as Carr, Texans prevail

BY ARMANDO SALGUERO
    Miami Herald

It began with a Dolphins player joking that he would visit with a Houston counterpart after Sunday's three-hour ''practice.'' But the practice unexpectedly turned into an embarrassing, humbling defeat that already has this season pointed in the wrong direction.

After Miami's 21-20 season-opening loss to the Texans, the sellout crowd at Pro Player Stadium showered the home team with a chorus of boos so loud, some Houston players left the field covering their ears.

It might have been wise for Dave Wannstedt to cover his ears as he walked off the field also because a guy wearing Dolphins colors yelled, ''Hey, Dave, don't forget to retire,'' as the coach walked dejectedly to the locker room.

Defensive tackle Larry Chester was still sitting on the Miami bench while all this was happening. Alone.

He later said he was replaying every sour moment of the game.

''This isn't the same Dolphins team that was in the locker room only yesterday,'' Chester said as he scanned a room where everyone spoke in whispers. ``There's no rhyme or reason for what happened to us today.''

Actually, there is, according to Wannstedt.

Everyone stunk.

''I wish I could stand here and pinpoint one area of our team, but that wasn't the case,'' he said. ``We did not get it done in any area today. You fumble, you throw a pick, you jump offside. You don't win doing those things in the NFL, college or high school. Even junior high school.''

The litany of Dolphins failures was long and disheartening, but perhaps the most disturbing flaw was how a team that is supposed to be loaded with playmakers didn't have anyone step forward to make a game-defining play.

''Everybody,'' linebacker Zach Thomas said, ``was sitting around waiting for somebody else to make a play.''

The winning play instead was delivered by Houston's Kris Brown, who kicked a 35-yard field goal with 25 seconds to play, his fifth three-pointer of the afternoon.

The loss left the Dolphins, a team that struggles in December, wondering why they showed so little interest winning a game in September.

''The energy was there at times but at other times we looked and played flat,'' defensive end Jason Taylor admitted.

Taylor, who led the NFL with 18 ½ sacks last season, did not have a sack Sunday. He wasn't even credited with a tackle -- the first time since the 2000 season Taylor played a game without bringing someone, anyone, to the ground.

''It's a slap in the face what happened out there,'' he said. ``A couple of times I got close, but when he's dropping back only six or seven steps and getting rid of the ball, you can't do much.''

The Texans made certain their pass protections kept Taylor away from quarterback David Carr. They slid their protection toward Taylor's side and had running backs hit Taylor as they went out on pass patterns. That strategy leaves other defensive linemen and blitzing linebackers in one-on-one situations against Carr's protection.

Problem is no one on the Miami defense was able to beat the one-on-one matchups.

So Carr, who was sacked an NFL-record 76 times in 2002, was wearing a clean uniform when the game was over. :D

''I have to give the game ball to our offensive line,'' Houston receiver Corey Bradford said. 'Junior Seau and Jason Taylor were going to come in and rip right through them. They held their own. We just told them, `You're a man, they're a man. Nobody is superhuman.' ''

The Dolphins might have been feeling a little superhuman prior to the game. According to Houston receiver Jabar Gaffney, at least one Miami player joked during warm-ups that the game between the Super Bowl-contending Dolphins and the team merely hoping to improve on last season's 4-12 record was a mismatch.

``One of their players said, `I'll see you after today's practice, Gaffney said. ``That was their thinking -- they were looking at us like it was a practice.''

Instead, the Dolphins played like they need more practice.

The defense missed an inordinate amount of tackles, and the offense turned the ball over three times. The Texans converted two of the miscues into two field goals, including the game-winner.

The Miami offense managed three touchdown passes of 57 and 21 yards to Chris Chambers and of 35 yards to Williams. But it overshadowed those rays of clarity with clouds that rained mistakes.

Holding a 14-6 lead in the third quarter, Williams broke free for a 48-yard run to the Houston 2-yard line. The Dolphins seemed only moments from taking a 21-6 lead but instead were left lamenting a holding call against tight end Randy McMichael.

Four minutes later, Carr connected with Bradford on a 78-yard TD pass to cut Miami's lead to 14-12.

''I didn't hold him, I know that much,'' McMichael said of the penalty. ``It was a bad call.''

It was typical of Miami's day. The Dolphins had more penalties than the Texans, gave up turnovers while taking none back, and in the end could not move 25 yards or so in the final 18 seconds for a possible winning field goal.

One reason the Dolphins couldn't make the dramatic field goal march is they had no timeouts. Why? Two of the three allowed were wasted for no good reasons.

''On one we had a guy who couldn't get his shoe on so we have to call a timeout,'' Wannstedt said, ``and the other one . . . ''

The other timeout was wasted with five minutes to play when the Dolphins defense didn't have the right players on the field.