1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans vs Dolphins

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ROCKSS, Sep 5, 2003.

1. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I am very excited about this game and should be a good measuring stick to see how well the Texans have improved over last year. I am a Dolphin fan although my GF is a Texan fan so we will be sporting our favorite teams Jerseys come Sunday. Good Luck this season!!

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Texans won't win this game...but I'm hoping they can stay close. Miami looks tough.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

No way we win this game. Let's keep it close and at least be able to move the ball a little. A few long pass plays would be nice too.

Other than that, let's just avoid any injuries...

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Front page of Houston Chronicle:

"Texans get crushed by Miami defense and Fielder has a field day"

5. oscuro

oscuro Member

let's just hope we don't get blown out and hopefully we can score a touchdown

6. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I'm excited too, but I think we're going to get creamed...Our O-line isn't ready and it's going to be a long day with Ricky...

Dolphins by 14...

7. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

Remember we are UNDEFEATED in season openers!

We were NOT going to beat the Cowgirls either...

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What's the skinney on Mckinney?

9. codell

codell Contributing Member

Latest is, he hopes to play Sunday:

McKinney to play despite scare

By JOSEPH DUARTE
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

The safest thing for Steve McKinney might be the start of the regular season.

McKinney hurt his left knee for the second time in less than a month Thursday, but the injury isn't expected to keep him out of Sunday's season opener at Miami.

The six-year pro returned to practice this week after missing nearly a month with a sprained left knee suffered during the second week of training camp. McKinney went down during the last 10 minutes of Thursday's workout, which was moved to the team's indoor practice bubble after a warning system detected possible lightning in the Reliant Park area.

As the Texans worked on a field-goal protection drill, 310-pound offensive lineman Todd Washington accidentally rolled onto the outside part of McKinney's left knee. McKinney fell to the turf and was treated on a training table before being transported to the locker room on a motorized cart.

"It was basically a live field-goal drill, which, honestly, I probably shouldn't have been in there," McKinney said. "My knee probably isn't 100 percent healed to be trying to do that anyway."

Team doctors informed McKinney late Thursday that there did not appear to be any ligament or structural damage in the knee.

"They don't think there's any ligament damage or that the knee is any less stable," said McKinney, who will be re-evaluated today. "I'm expecting to play Sunday."

McKinney originally suffered a sprained medial collateral ligament in his left knee Aug. 6 during a combined workout with the Denver Broncos. The injury forced McKinney to miss the entire preseason. He also was slowed by a groin injury during the first week of camp.

"I've had some bad luck," McKinney said.

McKinney, who was wearing a brace, said he felt a pop in his knee "a lot like it did last time."

"If I still have my stability and it's not any looser and it's just pain I feel, I can still play," McKinney said. "It just might be scar tissue. We'll have to wait and see."

McKinney was among only three players, including quarterback David Carr and left tackle Chester Pitts, to start all 16 games during the Texans' expansion season. If McKinney can't start Sunday, Washington will get the nod.

"The guy had worked so hard to get back to being out there, especially to get hurt in a drill that really doesn't mean anything," Carr said of McKinney's latest setback. "That's tough to swallow, but hopefully he can bounce back and get back with us. It's damaging, but to tell you the truth we haven't had him this preseason yet. Todd Washington has been in there and done a good job."

In McKinney's absence throughout the preseason, Washington worked primarily with the first-team offense. Washington has made only three career starts during his six-year career. The injury to McKinney was eerily familiar to Washington. While with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Washington was involved in a similar incident when he fell on top of center Jeff Christy, who was forced to miss the season opener with a sprained left knee.

"It was the same type of deal. The way it happened was like deja vu for me," Washington said. "It kind of freaks me out."

10. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

I put $50 on the Texans plus the points........they better keep it close!!!!!!

11. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Miami 24 Texans 10. Carr gets sacked 5times and Mack has 22 rushes for 61yards.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I just hope it's not a total massacre. Come on carr....get us atleast 1 touchdown.

13. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

I love the Texans, I really do, but Ricky Williams is gonna run all over us.:(

14. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Look, I look at every game as a possible win for the Texans. Anything can happen in the NFL. If your a fan of the Texans and are already counting this as a loss, shame on you. I do not consider you a true fan. A realist, yes, a Texan's fan, NO.

A true fan BELIEVES the Texans will win every game. I am beginning to see why Houston fans are treated with NO RESPECT by the rest of the country. You guys are so fickle.

15. codell

codell Contributing Member

Finn,

I feel the same way. Some will call us naive, but I too go into every game expecting the Texans to pull it out. I felt we were very competitive last year and expect us to more so this year.

16. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Fiedler, not Fielder.

But I agree with the sentiment...

17. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Good thing Carr's a "hero" and not a quitter.;)
    Oops, can't say that kind of thing in here.

But, you're probably right, Miami will most likely run all over us.

18. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

Who here in their right mind expected us to beat Pittsburgh last year, and in Pittsburgh I might add. If we can some how stop Ricky then maybe we can pull out a miracle. Fiedler is not quit Joe Montana material so who knows....

19. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Fiedler may not be Joe Montana; Ricky Williams may not be Jim Brown. Still, even if our D manages to contain Ricky and make Fiedler look worse than Griese did last year...our offense still has to score against a revamped Dolphins D. Thomas and Seau in the LB, Surtain at the corner; I think they had 7 Pro-Bowlers last year on the team this year. Scary...

Dolphins 31 Texans 13

20. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I think Pittsburgh just looked past the Texans because it was their first year but now teams will prepare for them just like any other team.