1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Texans vs Chargers 8/23

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by FLAGRANT1, Aug 22, 2003.

1. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

With all the real Texans on the Chargers roster, I'm not sure who I should root for.

This will be Aaron Glen's first game of the preseason, look for Hollings to get a bigger workload. If he impresses-and the Texans have already stated they are impressed with Domanick Davis' work in training camp-why not move Wells to Fullback? Because let's face it; he is better at running into the opposing teams players than hitting the holes in the line.

2. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Lol, oh that's great:D I just hope the line doesn't have a repeat performance of game 2 last year (9 sacks on Carr).

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

4. oscuro

oscuro Member

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

this is starting to look like last weeks game. ANd they dont even have my fellow Horned Toad, LeDanian Tomlinson!!!!

Great Start....then...what happened?!!! Chargers are doing just what they want right now.....

Texans Defense!! Better wake up!!!

10-10 and counting....

#5 Uprising, Aug 23, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2003
  6. codell

codell Contributing Member

Boy, Carr has really looked good, and so has the running game.

If our O can keep building on games like this, well be in good shape.

7. Uprising

WOW!! Man things have changed again!! Texans look great.

Am I really watching David Carr?! The guy looks incredible.

17-13 Texas

8. Timing

Timing Member

Carr, Mack, Hollings, and Andre Johnson all looked really good which probably means our line is doing a heck of a job. Can't wait for the season!

9. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Let's hope we can keep the lead in the reg. season!

I hate loses by a field goal with 20 seconds left!!:mad:

10. Uprising

Especially when it ends with a SACK instead of a Hail Mary. Or some sort of long Trip.

11. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Damn the secondary looked bad. If Glenn or Coleman get seriously hurt then they are in big trouble. Woodson or Bailey should be on the top of their FA list next season.

12. JamesC

JamesC Member

I thought the offense did a much better job tonight. I just hope they can finish out games. Andre Johnson is starting to show flashes of what he is capable of doing on the field. I just hope the team can avoid any major injuries this season.

13. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I 2nd that, with the way Washington is spending money Im guessing they're fixing to have some major cap problems, so maye Bailey is realistic

14. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

It was just wishful thinking on my part. Redskins offered him a 15million dollar signing bonus but he rejected it. Casserly drafted him in 99 so maybe he will give us a discount:)

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

*Knocks on Wood*

I truly believe he can be as good as, if not a little better than Terell Owens.

16. Maynard

Maynard Member

I was out of town this weekend and didn't get to watch the game, but from the write ups, it sounds like 1st team O looked pretty good.

Anyone know where I can watch video highlights of the game online?

I would like to see Carr to Johnson TD

17. PhiSlammaJamma

I only saw two highlights from the game, but damn, that has superbowl written all over it. When is the last time you saw passes like that.

18. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I didn't think this was Thread worthy, but can you believe...We're better off with what we have now...

Ex-Texan Allen having change of heart
    Allen's retirement lasts just two weeks
    By JOSEPH DUARTE
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle
    Two weeks after announcing his retirement, former Texans running back James Allen is singing a different tune.

Allen, who abruptly ended his five-year pro career to pursue interests in the music industry, has reconsidered and wants to play in the NFL this season, his agent, Steve Mandell, said Sunday.

"He wants to be playing football," Mandell said. "At the time, he looked at his life and made a difficult decision. He's had a quick time to think about what he's doing, and the situation has changed for him when thinking about not playing football. Sometimes it takes being on the outside looking in, especially when you're a young man."

Allen, 28, informed Texans coach Dom Capers of his decision to retire on Aug. 10, saying he felt the timing was right to walk away from the NFL and concentrate on a music career. Allen, an aspiring rap artist who performs under the name Mersilis, did an internship at Houston-based Music World -- home of Destiny's Child -- and wants to release a CD.

Allen contacted the Texans last week about his desire to come back in Houston or with another team this season.

Allen is currently on the reserved-retired list, but the Texans own his rights because here-signed during the offseason.

General manager Charley Casserly was noncommittal about Allen, and Capers said the team had to focus on running backs who have been competing for roster spots since Allen left.

"Our total focus has been on the guys that we have here, trying to get them developed and going," Capers said. "When something like that happens, you kind of close that chapter and look to move on. That's where our energy and focus has really been."

Because they own Allen's rights, the Texans can decide his fate. If he does not return to the team, the Texans could opt to release or trade Allen. There is also the matter of a $200,000 signing bonus -- part of the one-year deal he signed in May -- that Allen has yet to repay.

Mandell said he hoped to know more about Allen's status for this season "within the next few days" while reiterating his client's desire to rejoin the Texans.

"It's not an open-and-shut case on either side," Mandell said. "James knew telling the Texans (that he was retiring) could have certain ramifications to it. When he changed his mind, he immediately contacted them and told them about his change of heart.

"We don't know if he'll be there (playing with the Texans). Any number of things can happen. I do know James wants to come back. No matter what happens, there are no hard feelings on his part. If the situation is right, he'll play again. If not, he'll certainly be OK."

Allen, who attended Saturday's preseason game against the San Diego Chargers at Reliant Stadium, was unavailable for comment.

"I believe that all things must come to an end, but at every ending there is a new beginning," Allen said in a brief statement at the time of his retirement. "I feel like it is time for me to move on to pursue other passions."

Allen entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent, signed by the Oilers in the offseason before the team moved from Houston to Tennessee. He spent time on Philadelphia's practice squad before four seasons with Chicago. With the Bears, Allen rushed for a career-high 1,120 yards in 2000 but lost his starting job to Anthony Thomas the following season.

"James is a young man that feels he has a lot of time left in the sport," Mandell said. "It's important to note that James has tremendous loyal passion for the Texans. He likes playing there. He likes the fans, management and coaching staff."

Allen played in all 16 games for the Texans in 2002, starting the first five before losing his job to rookie Jonathan Wells. Allen finished second on the team with 519 rushing yards and 47 receptions.

He became a free agent after the 2002 season and drew interest from the Giants before re-signing with the Texans for one year and $730,000.

Allen was among a handful of running backs vying for roster spots at the beginning of training camp.

"When he was here, he was in the thick of things," Casserly said. "The others passed him along the way when he was not here."

Along with Stacey Mack, who signed as a free agent to be the featured back, the Texans have been encouraged by the progress of rookie Tony Hollings in his recovery from knee surgery and the return of rookie Domanick Davis this past week from a broken right hand.

The team must also decide where Wells, who is out with a toe injury, fits into their plans.

Capers stresses accountability to his players, and the message could be compromised if Allen is allowed to return.

The team has a sign in the locker room that says: "Deeds not words." Another in the weight room says: "Earn the right to be special."

"It came as a surprise," Capers said about Allen. "After visiting with James, I mentioned how much respect I have for him. I certainly honor his decision.

"I certainly didn't hold anything against James. When he came, I thought that's what he thought was best for him. I think he was very honest and forthright."

19. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Trade him to Detroit for a D-tackle or a fourth rounder. They need any offensive help they can get.

20. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Yeah, screw Allen. He sucks. We have Stacey Mack, a good RB to fill the starting slot. Then you got Wells, Davis, and Hollings fighting for the backup slots. He should of stayed retired.