1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans vs. Bengals

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ima_drummer2k, Nov 5, 2003.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Carr will probably start. Cory Dillon will probably not play.

Hopefully, Dom and company have learned not to sit on a lead and the Texans will be pumped up because of the game (and the prediction) last year.

Texans 27
    Bengals 17

First winning streak in the history of the franchise. :)

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I agree.

Texans 24
    Bengals 10

Unfortunately, this will cause a bunch of playoff talk. :)

3. PhiSlammaJamma

This win would put us right back in the playoff race. If we can get to 9-7 that would give us a shot. Plus we beat Miami already who is the leader for the wild card at 5-3. Denver and Buffalo could fall flat on their faces. Miami should lose to the titans this week.

4. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

News 24 just said that Banks will start Sunday. i don't know how true that is but I still think the Texans will defeat Cincy

Texans 24
    Cincy 14

Davis 140yds rushing 2tds
    A. Johnson 7catches 100yds

Kitna 275yds 2tds 2Ints
    C. Johnson 8catches 125yds.

5. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

I concurrrrrrrrrrrrr... we should beat the Bungles grrrrrrrrrrrreatly!

Texans 31
    Bengals 9

Let's go! Two in a row!!

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i heard on sportsradio that carr was working out with the first team at practice yesterday.

7. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

This is a game the Texans should win, if Dillon doesn't play, they won't have much of a running game. I hope they can shut them down completely. The Texans also need Davis to come in and get about 100 yds and catch about 5 out of the backfield.

What is the latest on Davis, is he going to play?

Texans 24
    Bungholes 10

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Carr should start...

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2204700

Carr practicing again, should start
    By CARLTON THOMPSON
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle
    RESOURCES

COMING UP
    Sunday:
    at Cincinnati, 12:00 p.m.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VIDEO: Carlton Thompson's Texans game analysis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AUDIO
    John McClain:
    • Today's report
    SportsAudioNet:
    • QB David Carr
    • QB Stacey Mack
    • Steve McKinney
    • Dom Capers

TEXANS (3-5)
    • WEEK 9:
    Texans 14, Panthers 10
    • Photos
    • Boxscore
    • WEEK 8:
    Colts 30, Texans 21
    • Photos
    • Boxscore

AFC SOUTH STANDINGS
    Team W L T
    Indianapolis 7 1 0
    Tennessee 6 2 0
    Houston 3 5 0
    Jacksonville 1 7 0
    Full standings: AFC | NFC

As of Nov 4 2003 10:20 a.m.

TEXANS STAT CENTER
    • Final Scores
    • Texans schedule
    • Chronicle story archive

• FORUM: Talk about the Texans
    SUPER BOWL COUNTDOWN
    86 days to go

SUPER SEASON:
    • Five reasons why the Texans could reach the Super Bowl
    • Five reasons why the Texans can't reach the Super Bowl

SPORTS POLL
    What was most surprising about the Texans win over the Panthers?

The fact the Texans won
    The play of QB Tony Banks
    Houston's play calling

Not a scientific survey; for informational purposes only.

Send your questions to Texans QB

A sense of normalcy returned to Reliant Park on Wednesday when David Carr was back taking snaps with the Texans' first-team offense. Coach Dom Capers will wait until later in the week to announce his starting quarterback for Sunday's game at Cincinnati, but barring any setbacks, it will be Carr.

After starting the first 23 games in Texans history, Carr sat out Sunday's game against the Carolina Panthers because of a sprained ankle. Backup Tony Banks led the Texans to a 14-10 upset victory over the NFC South leaders.

Banks also took several repetitions with the first-team offense Wednesday, but he realizes Carr will start if healthy and is prepared to resume his role as the second-year quarterback's sounding board.

"If I know Dave, he's going to be out there, and I'm here to support him every step of the way," said Banks, who completed 13 of 19 passes for 154 yards and the game-winning touchdown against Carolina.

Carr practiced virtually pain-free Wednesday, although the training staff might have to restock its inventory after the precautionary heavy tape job on Carr's ankle and the outside of his shoe.

"I usually tape (the ankles) up pretty good," said Carr, who is listed as questionable on the official injury report. "It was taped outside the shoe because you don't want to roll it up again at practice. They had it taped up so I could move around on it, and as the week goes on, we'll probably use less tape. And probably by game time, I won't have any on my shoes.

"It's gotten better every day. If it keeps on track, I should be good by Sunday. To have it not be sore today is a good sign. I don't see any reason why (I wouldn't start), unless something bad happens in practice."

Carr, who needs 1,018 yards to become the first quarterback to pass for 2,500 yards in an expansion team's first two seasons, missed the entire week of practice preceding the Carolina game. Although Capers enlisted him as the emergency quarterback, the Texans desperately hoped they would not have to use him.

"It was hurting when I was throwing balls before the game during warmups," Carr said. "But today I was throwing and pushing off just like I normally would.

"I wasn't sure how it would react. I was blessed I could put some pressure on it. It's making progress, so I'm happy. I knew about as much as (the media) did before I went out there, but it was all right. I did what I wanted to do without too much pain."

As optimistic as Carr was after Wednesday's workout, Capers is taking a cautious approach, although the coach did seem to think his starting quarterback would be back in the lineup Sunday if his ankle continues to improve.

"It was the first day back for David, and he did fine with the things we asked him to do," Capers said. "We didn't have him do everything. He worked on a limited basis and took a limited number of snaps, but I thought he did well with the snaps he took.

"We'll increase his load a little more (today) and hopefully a little more on Friday. Hopefully, he'll stay on schedule. That's what we're hoping for. We're hoping he'll take all the reps he would normally take as a starter on Friday, provided there are no setbacks."

Carr is among the fiercest competitors on the roster, and it took every bit of his best judgment, not to mention some coaxing by Capers and the training staff, for him to settle for watching last week's game from the sideline. As much as he wants to play Sunday against the Bengals, Carr insists he won't do so at the risk of hurting his team.

"I just want to be able to protect myself when I go out there Sunday," he said. "If I can't play at 100 percent and play the way I want to play, it's really not fair to my teammates, especially the offensive linemen. We'll just have to continue to be smart about it."

He'll have plenty of help in that department. Because his injury requires treatment, Carr has spent far more time with the training staff than at any other time during his brief career.

"You don't really notice (the trainers) when you're healthy," he said. "But when you're injured, they're your best friends. You're always talking to them. I'd like to think I'm a good patient, but you would have to ask them."

If it's all the same to him, head trainer Kevin Bastin and his staff would just as soon have Carr as a former patient.

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Kris Brown 66
    Bengals 6

10. Austin70

666?

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I think the Texans should win and have a two game win streak...I remember the guarantee last year so I'm sure no one has forgotten it...

Texans 24
    Bengals 21

Go Texans!!!

12. Remix

Remix Member

I for one would not like to see that hapepen. Were still a 2nd year franchise in the building process. I would personaly like to get a higher draft pick than go to the playoffs this year.

13. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

I hope the Texans win. But for the sake of my fantasy football team, I hope Chad Johnson scores.

14. Austin70

So, you want the Texans to have 4 or 5 wins for about 3 years and then start winning? I always want then to win, not tank it.

15. Buck Turgidson

Is Ditka the holder?

16. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

If Marcus Coleman is holding him he will get atleast 120yds.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

There's no sense in tanking games unless there is a stud QB we're going after in the draft. Even then, I don't agree with it. Tanking games if for losers.

Besides, we already have our franchise QB. Is there really much difference between the 3rd pick and the 7th pick assuming we draft mostly defensive players this year? Also, remember we will probably have 2 first rounders anyway once we trade Henson.

I know it's very far fetched, but Houston would go crazy if we made the playoffs... :D

18. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I know here in Dallas everyone has been complaining about the Cowboys 6-2 start. They keep saying they want better draft picks. I mean, you can't get a decent pick in the second half of the first round. The draft is over by then. I mean, name one good player to come out of the first round after the 16th pick in the draft? Certainly no franchise player has ever been picked for the Cowboys that low.

19. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I say the Texans bet the Bengals by atleast two touch downs.

20. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Dont get me wrong I like the Texans but I see the Bengals winning this one

Bengals 17
    Texans 14