1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade Jadeveon Clowney to Seattle

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 31, 2019.

?

Do you like the trade?

Poll closed Aug 30, 2020.
  1. YES

5.6%
  2. NO

94.4%
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

You didn't read before posting this huh?

Saints didn't have cap space and were trying to work a trade with a 2nd team to send them draft picks for absorbing some of the money. The NFL nixed it. So they thought he was worth the money and thr draft picks.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They could have fit him under the cap with a 2 year deal.

They were going to add him on their terms, not his.

a player getting a one year deal for less than their asking price is not a “win” for the player.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Who cares if it is a "win". All I said was that a team was bendimg over backwards trying to get to thim. And the Saints were. Period.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But they weren’t... and they didn’t?

Clowney had demands that no team was ever going to BEND OVER BACKWARDS to meet. Hope that helps.

but if this is the “peak” accomplishment of Clowney’s career... that a team attempted to make a trade to fit him under the cap on a one year deal... knock yourselves out.

TWS1986 likes this.
  5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Okay Nick.

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I hope to see all this Clowney Hate when he's running loose in our backfield!

7. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Doesn't seem like we lost anything of significance in Clowney honestly. Surprised he was so young still, thought he had played longer for some reason.

raining threes and Blatz like this.
  8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Oh, you mean the 1 time a year he actually does that to an opponent?

raining threes likes this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

oh yeahhh .. the one time a year .. blah blah blah - how en vogue to sht on any former Texan and at the same time exalt the current regime. Edgy!!

[​IMG]

10. Fyreball

Calm your ass down. Nobody is exalting the current regime here. I think BOB is a boob of a coach. But I also don't think Clowney is a difference maker when it comes to winning games. He's run hot and cold since his days at SC. Dude can have a stretch of 4-5 games where he's completely non-existent, and then have a game where he breaks out with 3 sacks, a FF, and tons of pressures in the backfield. Consistency has ALWAYS been a problem for him. I'm sorry it offends you, but there's a reason why Clowney's name never comes up when you think of the best pass rushers in the game today. And don't get it twisted....I liked the guy when he was here. His run defense was superb. But I'm not up in arms over losing him. On the surface, the trade looked pretty wack, but now....I think we can live with the results.

raining threes, TWS1986 and Blatz like this.
  11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

yawn.

12. Fyreball

You're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine. Go Texans.

raining threes likes this.
  13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

And Clowney had 3 1/2 sacks last season. Compare that to the others on the list.

Fyreball, raining threes and Blatz like this.
  14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Yeah, but we know he won't get to the QB!

Remember, the Texans offered him more money and a longer term deal that he is playing under now.

Fyreball, raining threes and Blatz like this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Enjoy whats that undersized guy the got in return?? Jacob Martin thats right. Enjoy more Jacob Martin doing NOTHING!! But hey at least they signed Gareon Conley with the other pick ... DOHHH!

I know you will find this hard to believe since the Houston Texans are the best run franchise that attracts free agents by the dozens, but I dont think Clowney wanted to play for OBrien, in the same vein that DeAndre Hopkins didnt want to play for OBrien.

Hey how bout that Nuk deal HUH?

"we dont have enough money to pay our All Pro WR because, well just because and we have decided to spend MORE at the position for Randall Cobb and Brandin Cooks"

LMAOOO

you cant make this sht up.

16. PhiSlammaJamma

That is an incredible win rate for Clowney. Titans stole him. They went from an F at edge to an A- for only 12 million. They have a very complete D now that Javon and Rashaan are healthy. Fast and Strong. Adoree and Byard underrated too.

17. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Is $12M the number? I thought it was $15M?

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Hmmm....Cooks has no guaranteed money after this year and the Rams are paying $5 million of his salary ($8 mill for the Texans), Cobb is 9 million this year and next ($0 guaranteed in year 3. Hopkins is going to $27 million a year in years 4 and 5. No, they couldn’t pay him. Im not paying that much for a WR who can’t get separation or beat double teams.

As for Jacob Martin...I bet he has more sacks than Clowney this year.

Clowney was so great, teams were beating down his door to pay him for more than one year.....oh, wait. The Saints were willing to trade a 2nd rounder to pay him for ONE YEAR. They could have easily signed him for 2 years....without the need for a trade...but chose not to. LOL.

Conley is solid.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

If he reaches his sack and pro bowl incentives he'll get 15M.

red5rocket likes this.
  20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Sacks are not the end all be all stat for a defensive pass rusher, but you know this.

Cooks is ALREADY nursing a bad quad. Awesome.

LMAOOOO "im not paying that much for a WR .. blah blah" .. yet you are ok with exhausting MORE money at the position with injury risks? Curious. Randall Cobb isnt much of a burner, but you know this. A quartet of Hopkins, Fuller, Stills and JAG is much better and CHEAPER than the current assembly. Im not buying that BS "we couldnt afford to pay him" when the MO for OBrien as GM is OVERSPEND EVERYWHERE. I think Hopkins had no desire to play for Bill OBrien anymore, simple as that. Same with Clowney and some other players that bounced due to the prodigy in the front office.

Its funny to hear guys like you beat the "teams didnt want to pay him" drum when a simple google would help you avoid some pie in the face. JD has been extremely selective in this process and could have signed with some garbage ass team long ago. Its why he wouldnt accept a trade to Miami when OBrien tried to be sneaky and ship him there hoping JD would sign the franchise tender! OOOOPs! Made Poor Bill come out of pocket 2 firsts for Tunsil!! LOL Im sure you think that was a "great" deal right?

Conley is on IR. Yeah real solid.

Enjoy the game!