1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade for Raiders CB Gareon Conley

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by thesonofsam, Oct 21, 2019.

1. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

What if he becomes a starter

Uprising likes this.
  2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Eh, whatever, Texans were going to be playing practice squad players at this point and CB needed to be addressed. Now.

JJO getting older, Roby hurt, hopefully he plays better here. What else can you say?

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He’ll definitely be a starter, out of sheer necessity at this point. I want him to do good, just have to wait and see if he does

Pringles likes this.
  4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

You're not making the point you think you are, so maybe stop patting yourself on the back...

Records have almost no relevance to this discussion, which is about the growing trend among teams with good, cheap QBs using future draft capital to get immediately better before their QBs become expensive. The Eagles, Seahawks, Rams, Bears, Cowboys, Texans, Browns - they've all done this.

If you want to bring records into the discussion, why don't you tell me their records when they made the trades, genius. They are all teams that thought, when they made the trade, that they could compete NOW with cheap QBs so they sold a piece of their future to try and do it.

I'm not arguing it's a smart or good use of resources; just that the Texans are far from the only teams employing this approach.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I mean...we're probably talking about a mid to low 3rd round pick. So we might miss out on the next Kahale Warring, Martinas Rankin, D'Onta Foreman, Braxton Miller, Jaelen Strong, or Louis Nix.

I think we'll be fine. LOL.

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And your logic is completely flawed, so maybe stop with the sermons. You obviously don’t know what you’re talking about.
    The teams you mentioned as good teams that are trading picks a lot are in fact not good teams. So yes records do come in to play.
    You acted as though this was a trend in the NFL when it’s not. The best teams still draft and develop well.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  7. Hey Now!

This, to me anyway, is the one definitive silver lining in all this - it may eventually blow up in their faces... but at least they're not using all this draft capital on older, expensive veterans at the end of their deals. Tunsil, Stills, Johnson and Conley all have the potential to be part of their nucleus moving forward, which makes it *easier* to spend picks on them. Imagine if they had traded a bunch of picks for... Trent Williams and Chris Harris. Maybe better players - but older players at the end of deals.....

8. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

The thing you have to ask yourself is if the Texans would have drafted a better player than Gareon Conley in the third round or not. My guess is probably not. Maybe! But just as likely not. On top of that, he fills a glaring need that they have immediately rather than one down the line. For those reasons, I think it is a fair gamble and a good trade. I think the guy will be a better fit here than he was in Oakland. I guess we’ll find out.

9. Hey Now!

My... logic?.......

No. They don't. Again, this isn't about good or bad teams; it's about teams taking advantage of their good, young QBs *to get better* while the QBs are still on rookie deals. It isn't terribly difficult but I'll break it down further for you since you seem utterly confused:

Kansas City (Mahomes) traded 3 picks for Frank Clark
    Chicago (Trubisky) traded 3 picks for Khalil Mack
    Cleveland (Mayfield) traded 2 picks (+ player) for Odell Beckham
    LA (Goff) traded four picks for Marcus Peters and Brandin Cooks
    Dallas (Prescott) traded a #1 for Amari Cooper
    Texans (Watson) traded, like, every pick for Laremy Tunsil
    Sehawks (WIlson) traded for Jimmy Graham and Duane Brown

The window for young QBs on rookie deals is five years; more & more, teams are cashing in future assets to urgently build better teams *now* - this isn't my "logic" - it's what's happening no matter how deeply you bury your head in the sand and pretend it doesn't because wHaT's ThEiR rEcOrD!

Again, this isn't about "best teams" - it's about teams taking advantage of not having expensive - but still good - QBs.

10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Based on the Texans 3rd round drafting ability, this is a low risk high reward trade.

this guy is a capable man corner who was elite the back half of last year. It was interesting watching Mayock when he was announced draft might night. He was against anyone drafting him based off the sexual assault case that was later proven wrong.

The Texans last year said they needed to play more man coverage. They got Roby, Johnson, and now Conley. They are active.

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah we can’t have an honest conversation, period.
    You went and edited your original post to fit your narrative. You said good teams are trading draft capital for known commodities and that this was becoming the norm.
    Now it says something completely different.

What you’re saying now I can agree with to an extent. Only a couple of those teams are actually good but they do have young qbs so they have the luxury of spending elsewhere.

With that I’m done with you, you change your posts to fit your narrative instead of discussing what was said. Maybe your intent was different but that’s not what was said.

Will not be responding to you anymore.

Mr. Clutch and tierre_brown like this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

So because the Texans don’t draft well in the mid rounds, that devalues the pick?

Im happy with Roby, hopefully Johnson gets some consistency and Conley wasn’t elite he was good the last half of last year, the rest of the time has been bad.
    Like I’ve said, I hope the change in scheme helps and he does become what his talent suggests he should be. Then a 3rd is nothing. This could also be a terrible trade as well

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  13. Hey Now!

Here's the post, in its entirety; I will bold the relevant parts since you obviously lacked the capacity to understand it originally:
    Don't assault my integrity because you don't know how to read. Also: ****. Off.

14. mario_v

mario_v Member

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That is absolutely not what the original post said, you edited it.
    Hence we can’t have a discussion

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

TheFreak and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Im pretty sure u edited your post. No way was it this thoughtout when u first post.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. Hey Now!

That is absolutely, positively 100% what it originally stated, you piece of vile, illiterate garbage. If your next response is not a full apology or retraction, please continue ****ing off.

You can disagree with me; you can dislike me - there's a long list of many other reactions I'll not only tolerate but also very likely own - and that includes the countless bad takes, opinions and ideas I've littered this forum with over the years. But I will not tolerate being falsely accused of compromising my integrity by retroactively changing a post - especially to get one over on the likes of you, as if I need to sink to that depth.

csj likes this.
  19. Hey Now!

Are you pretty sure, dummy? Cool. You can **** off with the other piece of garbage.

20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Only guilty people gets defensive and aggressive with name calling when they get exposed.

cmoak1982 likes this.