1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade for Raiders CB Gareon Conley

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by thesonofsam, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I doubt the Broncos would trade Harris for just a 2nd. They wanted more (another pick). No one is giving up a 2nd AND another pick for a 30 year old CB who is a FA and wants a big contract.

2nd round pick for a Rental is DUMB.

2. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

And trading a 3rd for a scrub is SMART???
    ANY player you trade a day 1 or 2 draft pick for you should be planning on keeping them long term.

Especially with our dearth of those very same day 1 and 2 picks the next couple of years.
    It's much better to pay a "good to great" player a premium salary than to pay a "below average to horrible" player a decent salary when the draft capital cost is almost the same (day 2 pick).
    I'm going on what A. Breer said about draft pick cost (2nd round ONLY), which although admittedly is an opinion (like yours), he is MUCH more plugged in than you or I.

Funny that after you state (your opinion) that you doubt the Broncos would trade Harris for just a 2nd, you then answer yourself as to why anything more than that's never happening.......No one is giving up a 2nd AND another pick for a 30 year old CB who is a FA and wants a big contract.
    If he was on a reasonable long term contract, an upper echelon cb would almost never be on the market anyway.

And just like it's fellow day 2 pick (2nd rounder) a 3rd round pick is not some kind of breath mint to be thrown around willy nilly to patch a hole with a bandaid that may not hold anyway.
    I hope Conley just needs a change of scenery/scheme to really excel.
    Or just be above average.
    Maybe he just needs instruction from our crack coaching staff. (I almost couldn't finish typing that without laughing uncontrollably).

But if he doesn't get any better then this will actually make the Duke Johnson trade look GOOD!
    Going from "really sucks" to "doesn't suck as bad" may be okay for the regular season but not when/if the playoffs start.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  3. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

This quote worries me.
    I'm taking it for granted that in the 3 years he's been with the raiders that he's "learned the playbook".
    That means what he is saying is that;
    1) I don't need to do ANYTHING differently than what I've been doing.
    My technique is fine, I don't need to play any better, just get comfortable with the new terminology/def. sets.
    2) I DON'T THINK I CAN GET ANY BETTER and since I can't just come out and say that here's what I will say.

Hopefully he's just talking about this short 1st week and will acknowledge the need to play better later.
    Hoping that's the case.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Reading this thread, you would think that the entire future of the franchise depends on a low 3rd round draft pick.

coachbadlee, Two Sandwiches and sammy like this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If it was the only 3rd rounder going away in a trade it wouldn’t be a big deal.
    Texans will be short several picks the next couple of years and Tunsil is pretty much the only player that’s worth it. Even then his asking price was high.
    Duke is a good player but not being used enough to warrant a 3rd
    Conley is a physically gifted but massively underperforming corner who may or may not get better.
    Trading isn’t a problem, it’s the return that’s the problem.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well the future of the franchise literally does depend on future draft picks, capspace and whatever current players we can keep

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

We still have picks in the upcoming draft including a second. What we have now is Tunsil, Stills (Fuller injured of course), Duke Johnson, Conley all able to contribute in this season.

You also have the cap space you would have spent on the next first 2 round picks.. not trying to sugarcoat sending out picks, but that space can be allocated elsewhere.

csj likes this.
  8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

No, your O'Brien hate literally depends the Texans' failing and the so-called lack of picks is the reason you can whine about as the reason.

TheFreak likes this.
  9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If Tunsil ends up effectively protecting Watson's blind side for the next 10 years, it was totally worth the price. That's the kind of production you hope for when you draft a player in the 1st round. "Hope" being the key word.

If Duke is a serviceable player, it's worth a low 3rd round pick IMO. Most low 3rd round picks aren't even in the league 4 years after they're drafted.

He hasn't even played a game with us yet. And see my comment about low 3rd round picks above.

10. Mr. Clutch

Yes I know these moves are to win now at the expense of the future

Unfortunately they still not very good

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um, Conley is under contract for 3 years. That's why he is worth the risk. We will see if he is a "Scrub", won't we.

Do you see anyone else trading for Harris? They are not going to give up what the Broncos want because of his situation.

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Huh.....Why are they at the expense of the future? Tunsil is young under contract and will be extended. Johnson is under contract, so is Stills. You value those 2 1st. like they are assured stars (they are not).

13. Mr. Clutch

We didn't draft them. Tunsil will be paid a lot more very soon. Stills isn't even cheap now and is a free agent in two years.

Houston fans who saw the rockets and Astros become contenders through smart drafting and asset management all of a sudden don't understand the concept

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um...which Rockets? Rockets had Horry and Cassell (besides Hakeem...9 years later), but the rest of the teams were from trades and Free Agents. Kenny Smith, Mad Max, Otis Thorpe, Clyde, Mario Ellie, etc... Harden's Rockets: Trades and Free Agency...except Capela.

Baseball is different because you get SO MANY picks. However, Much of this team was acquired thru trades and free agency. Verlander, Cole, Greinke, Brantley, Jake, Gurriell, Reddick, Yordan, Both Catchers, Hell...the ENTIRE Bullpen. 2017: McCann, Beltran, Gattis, Morton, Peacok. You act like the whole team is drafted....it is not.

15. Mr. Clutch

No I act like the rockets and Astros are smart with picks and assets. They don't overpay, they don't get fleeced on trades, they try to have long contending windows rather than trying to save their jobs another year

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Dont overpay? Chris Paul says “hello”, Westbrook says “Hey”. Astros: Greinke says “Holla”. Texans: Didnt overpay for Tunsil/Stills, based on the Ramsey trade. Clowney.....is what is.

17. conquistador#11

First thread I've ever read where 2 posters cover about 13 of the 14 pages.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

Oh you weren't around for the great days of Bobby?

But seriously, I'm very tempted to put them both on ignore. I tried making relevant posts about the topic but they just keep going.

Nook, showa13, Red.Glare and 2 others like this.
  19. Mr. Clutch

It's not clear they are overpays. And even if so, hardens window is now, so it makes sense to pair him with an expensive superstar and contend now, which they are doing

20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

we basically just repeating the same sht over and over. Mr. Scarface is too much of a BoB fan so it's kinda pointless.