1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade DeAndre Hopkins to Arizona

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 16, 2020.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Difference? Age, 2 years left on Rookie Contract.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

We're talking about leveraging a situation. EVERYONE knew Jamal wanted a new contract, they still got 2 firsts. NOONE knew Hopkins wanted a new contract, they got a 2nd and a backup RB.

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Wrong. Texans and Hopkin’s agent let teams know. You are upfront because you don’t want a team doing it to you.

Teams will not do trades without talking with Agents. I can’t believe u think you sneak **** like that by teams in today’s NFL.

#1643 Mr.Scarface, Jul 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  4. Nimo

Nimo Member

Right. And this all happened in your uncle's basement, right? LOL

Somehow all this was done without ever being leaked out. Apparently, all 32 teams agreed not to leak Hopkin's contract "demands" made by his agent to the point where it wasn't even a known rumor that he wanted a new contract. RIGHT! Then AFTER the trade, it was leaked. And it still hasn't been confrimed by Hopkins as far as I can tell. But there's all this talk that Hopkins wanted so much money that the Texans with ***checks notes*** $20 million in cap space couldn't afford it BUT the Cardinals with ***checks notes*** $5 million in cap space this year (post Hopkins/DJ trade) thought they had a better chance of signing him. And Hopkins was like "yeah, trade me to Arizona. I'll get my big money there".

Remember when we were told that Duane Brown wouldn't play without a new contract, until he did with a different team? Remember when we were told Clowney wouldn't play without a new deal, yet he did with another team. And it's likely to be the case with Hopkins that he plays this season with the same deal.

So I'm sure you're not surprised if I'm not buying your whole hypothesis about his agent letting teams know. Oh by the way, the agent who has since been fired.

The comparison remains. The Jets lost leverage when Adams made it clear to the whole world he wanted out; yet they still got a decent haul in return.

#1644 Nimo, Jul 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

wasting your time bud.

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Dude...it was reported bt Texans beat writers. Teams backed out when they heard the demands. Hopkins demands did leak out.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

I'm talking about BEFORE THE TRADE. Show me where all these beat writers were talking about it before the trade was reported.

8. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

O'Brien is A Arnold swarenegger fAn the way he slammed Hopkins And rAn him up out of Houston!

9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

McClain talked about this days before the trade happened on the radio. He posted an article in the morning of 3/16, the trade was announced in the afternoon.

He posted a note on the article after the trade was made.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...Hopkins-trade-rumors-free-agency-15134054.php

It was WELL-KNOWN Hopkins wanted a new contract in NFL circles.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

So the same day? Got it. We know who told McClain that info. They needed to have guys like you defending the horrible return they got. Good night.

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

No. McClain had said it on 610 days before. If you read the article, Peter King mentioned Hopkins might be traded at the Combine. NFL insiders knew Hopkins was on the block and his contract demands. No one is defending the trade, however, we are telling WHY the return was lower than these other trades.

Addams is 24 and has 2 years left on his contract (including this year). It is the same as Tunsil and Jalen Ramsey. Hopkins is 28 and wants a THIRD contract early into his 2nd contract. AND that amount is $20+ Million. That's why the Texans didn't get a 1st round OFFER for Hopkins. Blame O'Brien if you want, look at the trade market. Darius Slay was traded for a 3rd and 5th round pick (he is one year older than Hopkins). Slay signed a 3 years, $50 Million extension with the Eagles. This is basically Hopkins' market.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

Nice try. Peter King was the only one that rumored the trade. And it was a trade rumor not a contract issue. I'm talking about your claim that his agent went about telling teams that Hopkins demanded a new contract and it never leaked. McClain talking about the contract on the day the trade was reported doesn't count. McClain's source is the Texans and they threw that spin so they don't look as bad. And since you bring Peter King up, he said this was a horrible trade for the Texans. So he disagrees with you.

Hopkins is mentioned in the same breath as two other top receivers who recently got new deals - Michael Thomas and Julio Jones. I guess they are 24 too? Nope. Julio is 31 and Michael is 27. For the past five years, one of these three players have been regarded as the best receiver in the league ( maybe including Antonio Brown a couple years ago). The Cardinals just got arguably the best receiver in the league (who has been successful in different systems and different QBs) and didn't have to give up a #1 receiver AND unloaded their overpaid backup RB.

How dare you bring up Darius Slay as an example in this conversation about Hopkins?

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL. Keep trying to deny the fact it was known about Hopkins’ demand.

Thomas’ contract was done While his rookie contract was in place. Julio Jones got his 3rd contract....fine. The problem is no team (other than Falcons) was willing to pay ) $20+ million to a WR right now AND GIVE UP A 1st round pick.
    BTW, Hopkins has NEVER BEEN as explosive as Julio Jones or Michael Thomas. Yes, he catches alot of balls, but he not that type of WR. He is NOT Andre Johnson in his prime. Sorry, he is not worth $20 + million a year. That is why the Texans couldnt get a 1st round pick for him.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

Fact? Known? These words must mean something different to you. King reported the Texans were shopping him around and listed the teams. Nothing about demands for a new contract. The contract demands only came from a Texans reporter on the day of the trade. If 32 teams knew about the contract demands, how come no one else knew about it until when the Texans released it on the day of the trade?

Here is Peter King about the trade, nothing about a new contract. IN FACT he says quite the opposite:

Here's some more for you

Bill Barnwell (Grade: F): https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...e-texans-flunked-cardinals-got-elite-receiver

NFL Executive ("It is amazing in the NFL that some trades are so lopsided still,...") per Mike Sando of Athletic: https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ls-got-deandre-hopkins-in-david-johnson-trade

SportingNews (Grade: D): https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...es-cardinals-texans/3bb29pdrq4jn1tn48em51zazw

CBS Sports (Grade: F): https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...on-in-deandre-hopkins-for-david-johnson-swap/

The Athletic (Grade: F):

Riddick:

Tannenbaum:

#1654 Nimo, Jul 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Dude...John McClain said on Sports Radio 610, atleast a week or 2 before the trade, that Hopkins wanted a new contract.

The fact is the League knew. Just because It wasn't widely reported is irrelevant. Teams knew. The Texans and Hopkins' agent let them know. There is no such thing in today's NFL of hiding things like "a new contract". Leverage had NOTHING to do with the trade results, Contract demand did.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

Yet everyone around the league blasts the Texans for the trade. You have no proof and no links. You just know this because.... you know all things and you make all things fit whatever narrative you want. You can be a fan of a team or organization and still admit and accept their shortcomings.

Do you bro. I'm done. Go Stros. Go Rockets. Go Texans.

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL. I know this because McClain said it on the radio the week before. LOL. Texans don't give a **** if others like the trade or not. They were not paying Hopkins $20+ million. Hopkins said he went to the Texans LAST FALL and ask for more money.

It doesn't matter what you believe. Hopkins is gone and is not coming back. O'Brien will be the GM for atleast this year and next. Go whine about something else.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

[​IMG]

19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Like i said wasting your time with delusional posters like raining three and mr scarface, cant be reasoned with

Nimo likes this.
  20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Im not Mr. Delusional (raining threes). I giving you the facts, you choose to believe your own narrative because you hate O'Brien. I'm no fan of BoB and he and Hop had their issues. However, Hop's contract demands are the reason he is gone. Could the Texans force Hop to play under the contract? Sure. But they wanted to move on and the Texans and the fans have to live with that.