1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Reliant Stadium beginning to spawn NFL copycats

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by tigereye, Mar 18, 2003.

1. tigereye

tigereye Member

It appears that Reliant Stadium is beginning to become the NFL's version of Camden Yards in that everyone has to have one specifically with a retractable roof. The Cardinals, Colts, Chiefs, Jets, Cowboys, Saints, and Vikings are all now trying to build retractable-roofed stadiums. Some of these proposals are completely ridiclous. The Jets plan to build in Manhattan wiht the cost soaring to 1.2 billion dollars and the Cowboys want to build a staduim that would seat over 100,000 fans. That would be a huge mistake since it would be extremely difficult to sellout and because the building is not sold out, blackouts would probably roll across TV screens throughtout DFW. Just ask Redskin fans who have a hard time filling up 85,000-seat Fedex Field. Hear are some images from Arizona and Minnesota as to what you can expect to see in the future.

Minnesota

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Arizona

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That Arizona one is so God-awful, I almost like it.

3. tigereye

tigereye Member

The architects say the Arizona stadium is designed to look like a cactus. But I keep thinking to myself, isnt a cactus green instead of gray? Doesnt a cactus have sharp prickly thorns on its side?:confused:

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

wow...except arizona, those all look a TON like reliant...particuarly the one from minnesota!!

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Redskins fans have a hard time filling up FedEx Field? I thought that there was something like a 10 year waiting list for season tickets...

6. codell

codell Contributing Member

This is another rendering of Arizona's new stadium.

[​IMG]

BTW, here is a great website that has photos and renderings of past, present and future sports venues in the United States: http://www.ballparks.com

7. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I know I'm biased, but...

Reliant Stadium is the best stadium around...

I went to FEDEX last year and it sucked...

I think I'm spoiled by being in Houston...MM Park, Rockets Arena...

8. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

I wouldn't say those team are trying to copy the Texans stadium because of it's retractable roof. If that was the case then you could say that the Texans copied the Seahawks old stadium since it had a restractable roof first.

9. MadMax

the Kingdome?? no, it didn't. the Texans are the first NFL team to play in a retractable roof stadium.

but it's not just the roof...it's the design...

10. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Why would you want a retractable roof in Minnestoa? Isn't it like 4 degrees there during football season? Weren't they going to contract the Twins?:confused:

11. MadMax

i think it's a football only stadium...

12. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I think that Reliant set the standards on new stadiums just like the Astrodome did. The Minnesota one looks almost like an exact duplicate of Reliant and AZ's are just plain ridicolous looking. :rolleyes:

13. Live

Live Member

Ditto.

And I'm talking about the 'cactus' concept, not that other 'thing.' YUCK!

14. MadMax

i just noticed...that bottom picture of a game day view of the arizona stadium...even in the fictional pictures trying to sell a new stadium...even in those pictures the stands aren't full for a Cardinals game! :)

15. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Number of Super Bowl appearances when the Vikings played outdoors: 4

Number of Super Bowl appearances when the Vikings played indoors: 0

The 72 degree climate controlled dome has turned the once proud Vikings into a bunch of pansies...

16. tigereye

tigereye Member

This pic below is of the Saints proposed retractable roofed stadium from 2002. Right now it appears though that the Saints will probably have to settle on remodeling the Superdome because of funding issues with the new stadium. Currently they are still mulling there options

[​IMG]

Also, if you are looking for a direct copycat of Reliant, look no further than the Jets new retractable roofed stadium in Manhattan that was unvieled earlier this month. It looks almost the same as Reliant did in its first renderings. I am trying to find a pic of it, but I am having a hard time finding one.

17. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Nickname: The Igloo

18. tigereye

tigereye Member

This is actually the old rendering of the Arizona stadium when it was supposed to be located in Tempe. Originally, it was supposed to be located near Sky Harbor Airport but it was moved because it was too tall and to close to the Airport runway.

The rendering I have posted is actually now the updated and final design fro the stadium to be now located in Glendale, AZ next to the Coyotes new arena. Interestingly enough, the interior of the Coyotes new arena looks very similar to the new Rox arena

19. tigereye

tigereye Member

If anyone has the pic of the new Jets stadium unvieled earlier this month please post it. It looks almost exactly like Reliant.

20. DuncanIdaho

DuncanIdaho Member

Don't the Cowboys have a retractable roof stadium?