1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans release Randy Bullock; sign Nick Novak

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rocketpower2, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, the days of touchbacks are over unless Lechler does the kickoffs and has the leg for it.

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Lechler has 18 kickoffs in his career and 1 touchback, and that came in 2000 when he was a rookie. I don't think he's the answer.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I don't have any issue with holding players accountable; but I think it's a line you have to walk very carefully... he can lose the locker room by creating too much instability and uncertainty. Especially if he's not consistent. And it can ultimately undermine him. I remain baffled by the quick hook of Hoyer - that just reeked of amateur hour, regardless of how right it might ultimately be.

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Fat boy was playing in an INDOOR stadium...Dont understand why he cant focus on his only job...make sure you get that extra point. Anyways good move by BOB. Randy was way too comfortable with his job, and after the first game in the season, Bill was already pissed off at him. Then to have a game at home(indoors) and still miss extra points...he rightfully deserved to be let go.

One thing you have to appreciate about Bill, is that he doesnt care if you are drafted or not...if you dont produce he will cut/trade you.

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

one more point to mention....50% of Nick Novak's onside kicks were recovered...the league average - 20%

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Last year or career?

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So, in short, we're screwed now. We'll hit more PATs and maybe some more short FG's but we'll almost certainly be giving the other team great field position on kickoffs and could even give up some return TD's as a result of this move.

Sorry, I don't like it.

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

eh we don't score enough to be worrying about kick off coverage. on the other side of it, if we are kicking off it means we probably scored which is a great thing!!!

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

100!

The QB change just told me the coach had doubts about his decision in the first place. If Randy deserved to get cut, what do we say of Garrett Graham? How much longer do we keep making excuses for CJ? Has Chanlder Worthy has earned the right to be demoted to the practice squad?

10. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Let's hope that Novak doesn't piss away this chance.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ltsSie5i5Do" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Jeez, give me a break with all the "touchback!" talk.

The primary skill that I want out of my place-kicker is making 30-49 yard FG's and having a decent head on his shoulder.... neither of which Randy Bullock was close to showing us.

Hell, we haven't even had that many "game winning kicks" or "high pressure kicks" to really see what he was made of... but something tells me he wasn't going to just allofasudden take it up a notch when the pressure ramped up.

This was a predictable move... there's no sense in letting him miss "another" extra point, and if there really was a question about his mental makeup there really isn't much else to consider (much like a golfer... if a kicker's head is not totally there, you're going to get inconsistent results).

12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

yea but no one in the locker room cares about kickers so no instability or uncertainty issues.

13. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Aww man...who's the new team punching bag?

Are we reverting back to Kareem Jackson?

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, FG's are awesome, but when you then give up a return TD on the kickoff right afterwards because your noodle leg can't get the ball in the end zone and the special teams coverage is awful, what have you really done? A team with weak special teams coverage needs a kicker than can generate touchbacks and as of now, we simply can't do that.

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

You know what's interesting? Novak actually led the league in Kickoff average in 2013. I have no idea why there were so many returns if that were the case. Maybe it's just because SD has a reputation for crappy special teams coverage and teams thought they could run it out regardless. Or maybe his kicks were line drives that give the receiving time more time to bring it out.

16. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

"almost certainly?"

C'mon...

Anybody care to see what happened when we had Shayne Graham kicking for us? Or Kris Brown?

They weren't routinely kicking it out of the end zone either... hell, prior to this year Randy wasn't doing that either.

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

FG's are awesome... extra points are awesome... game winning FG's or extra points are even better.

What you're describing is the worst-case dooms-day scenario of a kicker who doesn't kick it out of the end zone. Even with the weakest kickers (or Novak las year), they're not giving up TD returns.

Relax.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Oh well, bye bye Randy but here's hoping Nick makes us forget your time here.