1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans re-sign Johnathan Joseph to 2-year, $10M deal

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 15, 2018.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's a pessimistic view, you could also say

4 Div titles in the last 7 years
    2 losing seasons in the last 7
    One of the best young QB's in the NFL that put up video game type numbers before getting hurt.
    The makings of one of the best defenses in the NFL if the secondary can be fixed.

In recent history the Texans having losing seasons have always been one year "oops" situations that were rectified the next season.

The O line will be improved over last season and I'm not sure if you saw Watson play, but he was killing it even behind last year's O line. I think only suckers would favor the Titans or Jags especially if the Texans can add another impact player to the secondary.

In the end, the Jags still don't have a QB, which means they are nothing more than what the Texans were a few years back with a dominant defense and only a run game on offense. The Texans can be much more than that this season.

Joshfast likes this.
  2. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

You could say that. Or ask yourself this, how many at championship games have we won? Superbowl appearances?

I love my Texans but a winning culture is not something we are nationally known for.

Edit - bottles is infintly better than any of those scrubs we've trotted out at quarterback.

If say only Schaub and Watson would be better

3. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I guess those points were made to show that we have the pieces to win. Who knows what could have happened if those major injuries didn’t occur. Remember, the defensive unit played a game well enough for us to beat NE in the playoffs. Osweiler was QB though. Despite winning our division a couple years in a row, I agree we don’t have the portfolio to claim a winning culture. But it’s not like we are dwellers with the players on this team.

Before the year started, we were always a QB away. Savage was terrible. Watson shined but only after the major injuries on defense. We scored a lot, but our backups and bench warmers on defense gave up a lot while Watson was QB. Not to mention the adjustment to new DC Vrabel.

If we can’t pitch a winning culture to Mathieu, then I would pitch why I believe we could win now

Joshfast likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

5. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

I mean i could pitch you that fairies exist, doesnt mean i could show you one.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I get that you are seeing things from the eyes of a jaded and pessimistic fan with a "yer first or yer last" mentality, but you can't expect professional athletes to see things that way.

7. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

If you had fairy dust and wands, at least you’d have a basis and reason for me to believe you saw one

8. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

Thats not how i view things. But seriously, how many non local people do you know that think the texans have a winning culture.

If i was a professional athlete and wamted to go somewhere with a winning culture, id probably pass on the texans. Now if i wanted the money, somewhere that had a franchise qb, and pieces on d to be elite... id come here. For the winning culture tho?

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They have won the AFC South more often recently than they have not won it...I mean, that's winning. On top of that, you have to look at the composition of the team, you've got one of the best front 7's in the NFL, one of the best WR's in the NFL, arguably the best young QB in the NFL....it's a franchise that has dominated their division that is primed to continue to dominate it.

I guess in your mind "a winning culture" means "they've won the SB recently", but that's not really the NFL standard. On top of that, you make it seem like being a franchise that has won a SB recently is the most important factor....and that's probably because you are a fan that is upset that your team hasn't won the SB recently. A player would look at the Texans drastically differently than you do.

10. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

Not once did i say winning a superbowl was a requirement. Infact i dont think you really read my last post at all.

I guess we just fundanentally dissagree with what a winnung culture is defined as. Guess the bengels have a winning culture aswell.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Means his cap hit will be less than the amount they saved making cap maneuvers the last few days.

showa13 likes this.
  13. showa13

showa13 Member

I see the overt pessimism has spilled over into this thread as well

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's a Texan fan tradition. There's times where the blind pessimism gets to me and I honestly think that this city doesn't deserve an NFL franchise.

15. showa13

showa13 Member

I mean I get that pass years have been bad, but I don’t think it’s hit everyone that when you add a guy like Deshaun everything changes. He’s the type of guy that makes everyone much better. And I don’t think they realize our front 7 was devistated by injuries and will be much, much better next year.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  16. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

Difference between blind pessimism and just being honest.

I mean its not like i claimed we had a franchise qb or the pieces on d to be elite or anything else positive..................................

Im just saying we havent won enough to have a winning culture.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL oh I get that there's a difference between those two things and I said "blind pessimism" for a reason. If there's any way to spin any situation into a negative, Texans fans are on it. I'm convinced that certain Texans fans could spin winning the SB into a negative and a reason to be upset.

showa13 likes this.
  18. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

Thats not what we were talking about. Yes dw4 is great, yeah IF watt and clowney can play a full season(ps they havent)together.... thats all well and good, but we still dont have a winning culture. Thats finw, its hard to change and takes time..

19. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

Ill agree that some posters would stll piss moan and complain about something.

20. showa13

showa13 Member

I wasn’t necessarily talking about the culture, just the overall pessimistic outlook of some posters on here.

As to the culture it can be argued the Texans are developing a winning culture as they’ve done more winning than losing lately misus last season(which injuries are the main and most prominent reason the Texans went 4-12)