1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans re-sign Johnathan Joseph to 2-year, $10M deal

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 15, 2018.

1. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Let’s say the Texans sign Gaines (please be the case). Which pair would you want on the outsides?:

Gaines and Kareem
    Gaines and Johnson
    Gaines and Joseph

The KJ Bros were both terrible last year at corner. Joseph was the best on the team. Kareem can move to safety and Johnson hopefully gets traded to move up in the draft

2. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

hopefully on a team friendly deal. We need a true number 1 corner

RasaqBoi likes this.
  3. showa13

showa13 Member

Not surprised, not a bad thing. A healthy front 7 will make the secondary better, JJo is the leader cause he was playing the best. Should still go for a safety(Honey Badger) but the panic here is unwarranted

4. houston19519

houston19519 Member

Solid move - but I need to see more moves!!!!

Joshfast likes this.
  5. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

J Jo being the best of a horrible secondary is like saying ....

We are bringing back Sam Dekker because he was much better than Troy Williams, Bobby Brown, Onauku.

Basically the dbs are still horrible going forward.

red5rocket and Fulgore like this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would go Gaines and JJo with the new guy in the slot and Kevin Johnson stapled to the bench and Kareem Jackson at safety. JJo is a guy who will need safety help over the top, but he can still cover just about every other route well for a #2 guy.

clutch citizen likes this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Doesn’t mean he’s good on the field

RasaqBoi and Fulgore like this.
  9. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

You know he has a average PFF rating of 75.7... Think big picture. Which is AVERAGE for a corner. We didn't break the bank either.

Oh and guess what Butler rated last year? AVERAGE.

Defense has a chance to rebound. Colvin will get his chance to shine, Jackson a chance to re-invent himself at Safety, injuries is still something we need to avoid.

Everyone is getting up in arms before Day 2 even ends. So far, I'm personally satisfied with the moves being made. An upgraded roster so far and Watson has more protection. Y'all mad we didn't drop 30 million a year (cap) for Butler/Solder? Please.

TheFreak, eric.81, hieuytran and 3 others like this.
  10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Exactly. I mean he's not fast and can be beat deep, but he's a sound player. The bigger problem is that Kareem isn't good at anything except tackling and that Kevin Johnson was a disaster.

That said, I'm not convinced Colvin will be able to play outside.

11. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Completely agree with this. As was said it was the KJ duo that hurt us more. JJO is gonna look better with a opposite corner that can be better than what we had last year. Kareem won't for sure which makes sense to move his butt to safety where his skill set seems better , but having said that I do want more and hoping honey badger hops over

Rockets FTW and HstnSprtsFan101 like this.
  12. hakimthdream02

Any thoughts about The honey badger's possibility of coming here??

houston19519 likes this.
  13. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

the way the front office is striking out - doubt he even takes a visit with us.. sad but true..

hakimthdream02 and Fulgore like this.
  14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If they're paying him next to nothing, fine. Otherwise, this is just more pathetic bumbling. Don't count on KJ to be healthy/or perform at a high level. Go get what we need!

I know it's been said a bunch, but I still can't believe they let A.J. go. Sometimes you have to make some tough decisions, and that includes needing to have paid the meaaan his money.

This organization.....

#34 Plowman, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  15. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Still an above average reserve on any team plus the type of vet you want around for young guys. If they can nab E.J. Gaines and pair him with Colvin as starters. Joseph, Jackson, Martin and a third round pick would be a HUGE upgrade to the talent at CB

Rockets FTW likes this.
  16. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Never said I was mad about not getting Solder/Butler. I’m in on Colvin signing & Kareem moving to safety and I’ve already said that. JJo is just about done to me tho. If it was just Vrabel then I guess we’ll see.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  17. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

For sure. JJo has about two years left in the tank IMO. I was more referring to some who are getting mad about bringing back JJo on the cheap. Then get mad we didn't break the bank for average guys on the market this year (which has been insane).

We still should add more guys like Honey Badger and what not. But I'm personally pleased.

18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I never thought this was a one year rebuild. We don't have our top 2 picks and this free agent class didn't have a lot of quality players at the positions we need. If they can land one of Mathieu or Gaines I would be happy with the free agent moves. Then they need to move up to the 2nd round and grab a guy that can be a starter at a need position.

ANYONE would be an improvement over Su'a- Filo, Lamm, and Giacomini... and that's what they got a bunch of anyone type players

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Hopefully he doesn't decline too much at this age

Sounds like a hometown discount