1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans interested in Elvis Dumervil?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by BullRider, Mar 18, 2013.

1. BullRider

BullRider Member

it does not seem possible but wouldn't that be nice!!!

USA Today
    Someone informed of the interest from other teams since Dumervil's release said the New England Patriots, Baltimore Ravens, Houston Texans, and Detroit Lions all inquired about Dumervil's availability and expressed interest in talking to him in the near future. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because those conversations were to remain private.

1 person likes this.
  2. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

cool beans but likely out of our price range.

3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'm still not 100% clear what happened with his release. I'm assuming he had a player option that his agent was trying to fax into the league office, but due to an error, he missed the deadline by a few minutes, which resulted in him being cut? Were the Broncos even wanting to bring him back, and or is this a blessing for them?

4. smr6

smr6 Member

The Broncos didn't think he was worth his $12M salary so they negotiated a pay cut with him since they wanted to keep him on the team. They eventually agreed to cut it down to $8M and all that needed to be done was to get the paper-work all done by the deadline. Aparently something went wrong on his agent's end (he just fired his agent over it) and it was not able to get done in time so the Broncos were forced to release him.

5. Fyreball

Oh wow, so the Broncos DID want to keep him.....just not at the $12M price tag. $8m is still a hefty paycheck, so that implies that they did feel like he was going to be a major contributor this season? Also, what's stopping the Broncos from just re-signing him now, as long as the interest is mutual between both parties?

6. Nook

Nook Member

Well there is a disagreement as to whether the fault lies with the Broncos or the agent. It is known that the Broncos for a month had informed the agent that they had to redo his clients deal or he would be released. The agent refused until the last moment and agreed to restructure the contract... but somehow it did not get to the league office in time. It is not clear whether the agent faxed it to the Broncos, and they failed to get it to the league offices or if the agent failed to fax the agreement to the league office.

The Broncos are not happy in the least. First, they wanted to keep Elvis but at a smaller contract. Second, I am not exactly sure, but because things played out the way they did, the Broncos took a $4,000,000 cap hit this season. With the low numbers some free agents are getting, basically the Broncos lost enough to sign a starter.

Denver, Ravens, Pats and Texans are supposedly interested. However, it is unlikely that the Broncos will be able to sign him now.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The major point is that the Broncos and agent tried to cut things too close.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Cutting him nailed them with enough of a cap hit that they can't resign him for $8M or it will be just as bad (or worse) a cap cost as when he was due $12M.

If he wants to get (most of) that money back, it's going to have to come from someone else.

9. val_modus

val_modus Member

Too expensive for us... hes not a battle fighter

10. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I believe I read they took a cap hit of $5M by cutting him instead of getting hit for 12. If they re-sign him for $8M they would be taking a hit of around $13M combined.

11. Fyreball

Thanks for the clarification, guys. Makes complete sense as to why the Broncos would be pissed. The cap hit alone pretty much makes it impossible to bring him back. Unbelievable, and I can't understand why the agent would cut things THAT close. I'm going to assume that there will be some legal action taken against that agent by Dumervil if he can't sign a deal larger than the $8m he was set to get from Denver this season.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I am usually one of the can't get this guy, too expensive posters, but with losing Quin and Barwin...they may be able to swing something to get him as a placeholder for a season. A very nice placeholder.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Would be amazing if we could pull it off. He's definitely better than Bar win.

14. msn

msn Member

My buddy saw him at Taco Bell today getting a Nachos Bell Grande.

15. Anxiety Trooper

This would be a very nice addition. A rotation of dumervilee, brooks & Whitney is as solid as one can hope for if your a texans fan. Draft a safety high in the draft (if a talented one is available) sign chad Johnson for vet minimum and I would be stoked about the offseason. Prove me wrong Texans!

16. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

17. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

If we could pull off Dumervil and Reed I would feel great about this offseason. We could then use the draft to fill ILB depth, a young safety, WR, and maybe RT depth.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Step 1: Fly him here on a private jet.
    Step 2: Take him to Pub Fiction
    Step 3: ????
    Step 4: PROFIT!

19. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The guy would be a monster on our team...he's averaged over 10 sacks a season over the last 6 years. He's what Barwin was supposed to be.

I'd want the Texans to focus on him rather than Ed Reed...even though I would be happy bringing Reed in. I just put a lot more emphasis on the front 7...it'll make our DBs look better when we can bring the hurt onto the opposing QBs.

20. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Get USED as leverage.