1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans HouseCleaning

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by msn, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I am down with Cody. But just go with that hybrid 3-4/4-3 Saban uses. Why not? Our young core can grow into it. And yes for the love of God get rid of Matt Turk because I hate his face.

2. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Funny that I see alot of negativity towards Antonio Smith. I know he started slow and picked up some questionable penalties, but he's been more active on the pass ruch than once-super mario.

Hell, his two penalities in the Indy game were tick-tack and he's consistently near the qb. I won't be shocked if he has one to two more sacks in this season and is already significantly better than his predecessor. Not to mention he will be moved to tackle next year as Barwin develops into a pass rusher who can play the run.

However, if there ever was a time, the uncapped year is the time to cut salaries and run.

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I think, given our lack of a pass rush and the contract he signed, we are disappointed in the relative production. It's not to say he hasn't been better than his predecessor...just that he hasn't lived up to expectations that were fairly put upon him, signing that deal and playing across Mario.

4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

and if mario was being rountinely thrown double teams, I'd agree. But over the past two weeks I've paused, rewound and shown my oldest son how mario is being handled by one person very easily on a consistent basis.

I think the expectations were that mario would take two defenders and free up someone like Antonio. Well, now it seems that Antonio is being double teamed more than little mario. Homeboy Williams needs a power-up, bad.

5. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Bill Cowher is not coming here. I would kick the tires on Holmgren, or Shanahan. They would keep the offense in tact, or at least in a recognizable form. They have Super Bowl pedigrees. I would use the interview process to gauge their passion for the game and whether they were ready to hit the ground running and make the Texans into a Super Bowl contender.

6. msn

msn Member

"better than his predecessor". Mellow yellow tastes better than piss, too.

7. msn

msn Member

are we playing buzzword bingo?

I know a lot of incompetents who are "passionate". Dom Capers, for one.

8. msn

msn Member

Thanks for this; I hadn't seen it. I'm disappointed in Williams, too, this year--but the sum of his work is just better than Smith's.

9. blackistan

blackistan Member

i thought it was kyle shanahan not mike

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

For every player you want to dump, you ought to have a suggestion of how you will replace him with a better player. For instance, Reeves; every post refers to him as 'average' and we had to overpay to get him. So how do you get better than average?

One thing I don't understand is how our O-line underachieved so much when we have 4 of the most respected coaches in the league working with them. In this system any sixth round back should get 4 yards a carry by just identifying where the crease is. We sort of did that last year but not so much this year.

And, everyone is on Shanahan but I thought the inventiveness of the play calling was outstanding, especially when OD was playing.

I would keep Dunta too; albeit at free safety money and I would move him to FS IF we can replace him at CB. But that is a FA saga that will play out.

This team would have been fine if they could have cut down on the penalties and turnovers. That gets the head coach fired and the new guy will want his own staff. You can make an example of a few players like Brown and Jacoby but you can't make wholesale changes in personel because of the cap.

11. conquistador#11

Some teams have the "it" factor, where they get every bounce of the ball. We have the " oh no!!" factor, where everything that can go wrong will go wrong. How do you reverse that? Do we go george costanza and do the exact opposite of our natural instinct? This season really hurts more than any other season I can remember, all the game losing drives...always so close. It feels like that one episode of pinky and the brain, where brain almost accomplishes his goal but pinky ruins it. :mad:

Anyways, I would do away with Dunta. All that offseason drama, for this? No way he gets a generous offer.

Chris brown must go. this guy couldn't be a second string rb on any other team.

Myers. Crossing fingers caldwell matures by next season.

And what will happen with jacoby?

12. BMoney

Are Holmgren, or Mike Shanahan suddenly incompetent? That's who I would target and that's who my post was referencing.

Also, you're not correct about Antonio Smith. He's played pretty well. He gets more consistent pressure on the quarterback than Mario these days. At least two of those penalties against the Colts were complete BS.

13. msn

msn Member

Nope. But their competence and whatever level of "passion for the game" they have are mutually exclusive. And if they're competent, of course they're going to "hit the ground running." You forgot "take it day by day", "bring some fire to this team", and "instill some energy into the clubhouse", among others.

But yes, Holmgren and Shanahan certainly merit interviews. As do Gruden and Cowher (I've *always* wished Cowher were the Texans' head coach).

I'm getting that from quite a few people. And, I'll have to concede. I still think he's overpaid, but so are a lot of guys.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I didn't even know Mike was coaching this year. :eek:

:p

15. Stoli

Stoli Member

Amen. If our going to pay a DE $8M, he better be a pass rusher, not a DT playing out of position like Antonio, and his predecessor Weaver. Mario needs to line up on the left side (his preferred position and Antonio's spot). Move Antonio inside and see if we can get something out of him. And get a legitimate right side end to compliment mario. Not combine work-out wonder Barwin.

Also, I understand Antonio is guaranteed $25M under his current contract, which is ridiculous. How on earth could we give him that contract. Can anyone confirm the guaranteed money, contract term, and annual amounts?

16. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Kris Brown, #25, #32, Chris Brown, Andre Davis, and Gary Kubiak and his coaching staff.

They need to find a coach that will allow his defensive coordinator to call a blitz more often than what we've since the begining of this franchise and an offensive coordinator who lets the QB audible.

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

He has pitched 84 innings with an ERA of 1.71 for us.

WTF is your problem? Not an Astros fan? Not a fan of 22 innings giving up one run to end the 2008 season?

Latroy = awesome

You = hater

Latroy has decided your suck is contagious

[​IMG]

18. BMoney

First, thanks for calling me out on my platitudes. Thread policing is hard business! Second, the issue with established coaches has everything to do with the worry that they may not have passion for the game after getting that big paycheck, or a plan that is relevant for a new team, or relevant for a constantly changing league. Houston would not be a reclamation job. They have playoff caliber talent, so bringing in an older coach with a philosophy that is completely at odds with the personnel and the available assistant coaches would be counterproductive.

19. msn

msn Member

Waaaa. It's a discussion board. I disagreed with your take. Deal.

Because that happens all the time. Vermeil was horrible for St. Louis and Kansas City. Johnson never took the Dolphins to the playoffs, and Parcells was crap after he left the Giants. Right?

The way Gruden completely derailed Tampa after Dungy left.

20. msn

msn Member

I grew up living and breathing Astros baseball. I could navigate the 'dome with my eyes closed.

He's pitched great. A bit of an extreme comparison, but TO is a great receiver, too.

Hawkins is a whiny b****. It's hard to root for a bunch of clowns who take the time to design, order, and pay for T-shirts that complain about their state of affairs. And who don't run out grounders. And who loaf around in the outfield. And who show up fat and unprepared. Hawkins is not all of those things -- but he's part of an entitled, whiny culture that developed in that clubhouse that is a real turnoff.

The 2009 Astros were worse than losers -- they were whiny losers and quitters. I'm programmed from childhood times with my dad and granddad to love the Astros and want to see them win. It was agonizing to be so turned off by my team.

I was thrilled when they signed Hawk (low risk) and pleased with his performance. Now, if he can go an entire year without being a whiny b**** and printing t-shirts blaming his team's pathetic performance on Bud Selig or on his manager, I'll be his biggest fan.