1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans HouseCleaning

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by msn, Dec 7, 2009.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Dixie Carter >>> Delta.

2. msn

msn Member

via trade. was specifically looking at FA signings.

And I like Matt -- but we paid a ton for him.

3. Landlord Landry

Kevin Walter.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

You're being nit picky here.

I give full credit to Rick for bringing us a guy like Matt, and for the price we paid we got more than our money's worth.

Whether he brings in good players via trade, draft, or FA... bottom line we're getting more talented under Rick Smith. A lot more.

5. msn

msn Member

OK.

Teams consistently put help on Mario, and sometimes double-team. That tells me none of those other guys are worth even $4M, much less $8M.

And, your $8M DE just gave the best offense in the league 45 penalty yards.

How is he better than Amobi? Or Travis freaking Johnson?

Hasn't Reeves been much better this year?

6. msn

msn Member

Didn't mean to come across so negative. Schaub was a very costly acquisition, but he's been fantastic.

Completely agree.

Knew I had forgotten a good one! Thanks.

7. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

WOW...If I was the owner???

First, in all seriousness, wright a blank check to Cowher and tell him to put in the amount. He would stablize the franchise in a heartbeat and bring big time respectabilty.

Second, DROB is gone..sorry great tackler but CBs are paid to cover not tackle.

Third, go out and get a solid Corner and OLinemen in FA...spend some cash its time to maybe overpay a bit more to get some quality guys.

Fourth, Draft a huge DT and Stud RB in the draft.

Fifth, UNLEASH HELL

Antonio Smith has not been a bust, he started out slow and stupid but now is actually producing yet still stupid. He is fine along with Mario but Okoye needs to showup next preseason or lose his job.

Schaub is fine as the QB, Slaton will be the ideal 3rd down back and the WRs are fine. Linebackers are fine and Safties are OK but if there is an upgrade to Wilson, do it. Cowher will fill out the staff and front office thus creating the beginning of the team of the decade for the 2010's.

8. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

msn, I realize you're disappointed with this team, but I really think you should stop and think about the positive things that we've seen in the past 4 years before making any rash decisions. patience grasshoppa, lets not throw out the good with the bad.. kind of like how you can cut the moldy part off a block of cheese... or if you wait long enough, sour milk turns into yummy yogurt :cool:

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

The more I think about it, the more I think Gruden would be an absolute perfect fit. Replace the offensive side of the coaching staff, especially Shanahan, and let him bring in his own guys there. The offense has been good, but the continued lack of red-zone efficiency and head-scratching play calls are enough to shake up the offense to me. The defense has played well enough to win in most of our losses this year, especially of late.

The defense is really on the verge under Frank Bush. I'd hate to see him go so soon. If we could get a legitimate DT or two and not scrubs off of the street and/or busts of draft picks, we'd see a much better defense all-around. We could certainly use upgrades in the secondary, but I think we are good enough to win there.

10. msn

msn Member

First off, yogurt is just nasty.

Second, the thread is about who you think should go. There are lots of great things about this team: the WR corps, the GM, the owner, Mario, the linebacker corps, the TEs just off the top of my head.

There is *so much talent* on this team. They should perform better than they do.

So, what changes would you make, who would be gone, if it were your call?

That's the point. You said you would only change two things. I would change seven or eight. With a roster of 55 and a huge coaching staff, I don't think that's overly negative.

Perhaps my criticism of Smith is over-the-top. I just don't see the bang for the buck. If he can put three halfway-productive games together in a row with zero fifteen-yard penalties, I might feel better.

I wanted to string him up during the last Colts game.

11. Jayou

Jayou Member

Kubiak and Dunta are definite goners. Kyle is probably toast, too. It just depends on who the new coach is.

Rick Smith gets 1 more year unless we get a Cowher, Gruden, Holmgren type of big name coach who wants to bring in his own GM puppet.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Anthony Weaver as a total waste of space FA signing. Antonio Smith is definitely on the same path if he keeps it up.

12. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

To be fair, Smith has 2.5 sacks and 2 forced fumbles in 12 games....Weaver had 1 sack and 0 forced fumbels in 3 years lolol But yea agree a little more production would be nice.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Go to 3-4

Draft Mt. Cody

____Cushing_____Diles_____??????______Ryans

______M. Williams___Mt. Cody___Smith___

14. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

He has made his share of mistakes as well...not drafting any secondary help in lower rounds has burned us...and so does paying Dan Orlovsky $3mm per season to be a 3rd string qb. that signing was mind-numbingly stupid

Still, he has done some good things and I'm still on the fence about him and Kubiak

15. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I value Rick by how he compares to other GMs.

He is above average for sure.

I'm not willing to flush that down the toilet, especially as this is his "first gig", because of a couple of missteps.

As many "bad" signings as he has had, he's also made some smart decisions when it comes to player resignings and contract negotiations and the like, and he deserves credit for that too... I like the way he handles the purse strings.

I fully support Rick and want him in our FO for a while.

#35 DonnyMost, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  16. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If we go with a 3-4, I think I'd rather have Cushing and Ryans at the ILB spots and maybe drop Cushing outside once in a while to rush.

____Barwin_____Ryans_____Cushing______FA/Draft

______M. Williams___Mt. Cody___Smith___

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Agree. But I'm so wary of the 3-4 after so many years of failure here with it..

18. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We never ran the Blitzburgh 3-4 here, so fear not. The thing that got Dom canned was his utter reluctance to go grab Vic Fangio by the neck/ears/glasses/whatever and say, "look dude, if I'm going down, I'm gonna go running the defense the way it was supposed to be run and not this watered down version that you're running." (Odd, considering he took the reins from Palmer when that long passing game wasn't working....) He let too many things slide, but that was the final straw. Look at what he's doing with the 3-4 in Green Bay. If we get another 3-4 guy here, I'm sure we could (in time) get good production out of it. We just never got it going here with Fangio.

<disclaimer, I'm in the stay pat with Kubiak - as frustrating as this year has been - crowd>

19. bigrub

bigrub Member

CUTS
    THE WHOLE STAFF EXCEPT KYLE SHANAHAN
    JAQUE REEVES
    CODY
    KRIS BROWN
    CHRIS BROWN
    FIND AWAY TO BUYOUT ANTONIO SMITH OR TRADE HIME
    ADITIONS
    BILL COWER
    3-4 DEFENSE MOVE OKOYE TO DE, LEAVE MARIO AT DE, BARWIN TO OLB, CUSHING TO THE MIDDILE ALONG WITH RYANS,
    BRING IN A BIG NT, AND A PASS RUSHING OLB
    BRING IN A GOOD KICKER
    A SOLID SAFETY AND CB
    DRAFT A RB IN THE 1ST TO HELP SLATON

20. bigrub

bigrub Member

ROBINSON WILLIAMS FA/DRAFT OKOYE QUINN

BARWIN CUSHING RYANS FA/DRAFT

POLLARD
    PREMIER FA

THIS WILL BE A HARD HITTING FAST DEFENSE THE PASS RUSH WILL WORK GREAT WITH COWHERS SCHEME