1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans fire GM Brian Gaine

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaBeard, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

The coaching staff. Others that work for the team. There are a lot who could have been fired. I'm fine they fired him if they thought he couldnt do the job. But this doesnt put anyone on notice. The only guys that should be worried are the ones that just got hired recently.

Firing a head coach after going 11-5 who the players like? That's how you send a message.

Nook likes this.
  2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I can imagine the last several months have gone like this:

“Let’s sign Trent Brown”
    BG No

“Let’s sign Donald Penn”
    BG No

“Let’s trade up for Dillard”
    BG No

“Let’s look at trading for Trent Williams.”
    BG No

.............. Ok time to fire this clown

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

How would I know that? Doesn't cost anything to get on it. Not like it's special or anything. Would you like to be on it? It'll be back open in August. You can have my spot.

4. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

The best option is still available...

5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I'm normally a baseball and basketball guy , but lemme ask this .

Why do you fire your GM right AFTER the draft ? If you weren't confident in him why let him draft in the first place ?

You can't be firing him for how he did in the draft because the season hasn't even started yet . Can't judge a draft class so early .

Maybe the thinking was that another GM would take too long to prepare for the draft ?

Anyone have a good explanation ?

UTSA2step likes this.
  6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

They just completed, what? 10 days of OTAs? They've had a look at the picks and maybe they weren't happy? That would be a remarkably quick judgement but...

I think we could potentially get our first clue pretty quickly - if they move on Donald Penn or Trent Williams or Patrick Peterson... at that point, I think it's safe to conclude differing mindsets and they fired the guy who's mindset was long-term.

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

A message that you’re stupid?

csj likes this.
  8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The fact that they still have time to move on those guys means that at the very least , the GM left them with flexibility lol .

I get what you are saying tho . Maybe the other management wanted to shift focus more towards the present.

But football as I understand it isn't the same as NBA and MLB with rebuilding , or the salary cap .

I thought there is usually pretty good parity and it's just up to your management to put a good coach and roster on the field during a given season ... And that it's hard to hold on to talent so you have to draft well during all rounds . The biggest thing is to find a QB right ?

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Doubt they’re sending a message... they may just think he’s easily replaceable at this point.

csj and Nimo like this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

There was some good reporting that said Cal felt like, in general, the organization wasn't doing enough with the resources. Between the draft and the cap room he felt like they had not made progress this offseason commensurate with what they should have done. Basically what I've said. This is a team that should be taking leaps. We have a rookie scale QB playing on an MVP level. We had an offseason with massive cap space and all of draft picks. We did nothing to make you think we are a better team than last year beyond guys just taking the next step. That's unacceptable.

12. justtxyank

Was Pat on board with them not "moving the needle" before this firing or is that a new take for him? I don't recall him putting stuff out there about them not doing enough.

Nook and Nimo like this.
  13. Nimo

Nimo Member

No a message that good is not good enough. A message that getting embarrassed by your division rival at home in the playoffs is not good enough. A message that hiring your buddies is not good enough. A message that alignment means nothing if you're not moving closer to a championship. A message that no one is safe.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

He loves his press pass.

Hey Now!, mikol13 and Nook like this.
  15. Nimo

Nimo Member

If Clowney is in mini camp next week, that will be a great tell as well

Hey Now! and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Texas Sports HOF'er, the great McClain_on_NFL</a> joins <a href="https://twitter.com/alexmarvez?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">alexmarvez & me now to chat #Texans and Brian Gaine on SiriusXMNFL</a> 88 & the <a href="https://twitter.com/SIRIUSXM?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">SIRIUSXM app.

— Zig Fracassi (@ZigFracassi) June 8, 2019

John McClain: (on new GM) It'll be someone w/#Patriots ties who's worked w/HC Bill O'Brien. No Rick Smith or Mike Maccagnan return. #Texans.

— Zig Fracassi (@ZigFracassi) June 8, 2019

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

McNair boys learned from their daddy Warden Bob. Sometimes you gotta fire the Screws too and shake them up just so that the new fish know whose house it is.

18. justtxyank

This is the type of thing i expected. Someone without a lot of clout that can come in and be BOB's punk.

macho GRANDE and Nook like this.
  19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

it's just a Rooney Rule token interview, have to get it out of the way first

doubt he's a serious candidate

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Rudyc281 likes this.