1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[technology industry] macro viewpoints

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cur.ve, Mar 16, 2007.

1. cur.ve

cur.ve Contributing Member

I'm new to this so I wanted to hear some opinions from people who know what they're talking about...

I'm interested in technology as a career -- hoping to get into a firm where I can be part of strategy so I'm going to, where else, Clutchfans, to get some views. IMO there are two types of approach to technology for the next decade:

Google: they're banking that the web will be where all the action is. Applications and documents can be stored there, content, whether user-generated or traditionally produced, will be distributed online and the thing that ties all of this together is information delivery. They grow everything from their search engine biz, but now they are increasingly wanting to become a destination for content also (YouTube).

Microsoft: sure they're developing Live, but that's just a way to get users to use their software. Instead of relying on advertising like Google, they are banking on the sales of their operating systems, tools, and sometimes hardware. IPTV, XBox, etc.. they're moving down the value chain to grab consumers in the entertainment space also, beyond work and communications.

So there's all this stuff going on.. search is getting smarter, media is decentralizing, and the web is increasingly integrated with that other world (the 3D one).. where will it all go? What are threats to the two approaches? And opportunities?

2. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

i disagree... this is where future technology is headed

[​IMG]

3. cur.ve

cur.ve Contributing Member

^^
    alternative energy?
    :)

i figured i should have started a poll on what is your first reaction when someone farts instead.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Google is pretty hot right now. I know some people at MS who don't think its anything great, but I imagine working at both are good springboards for something else.

I don't think media is decentralizing. It's more of a reshuffling. Phone and cable companies are now going in on each others turf with webtv, on demand programming, voip, and broadband service. Both new and old media are struggling to find ways to make a profit on the net.

Then again, I don't know what I'm talking about. I thought Google was overvalued last year. That'll only prove true if someone can find a different way to make a mint off the net.

5. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I thought the IPO was overvalued :eek: