1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tal's Hill gone in 2016, CF fences to be moved in

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Jun 4, 2015.

1. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The "community leaders" signs really kill the look of the outfield.

awc713 likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

I still say "OXY" is a really unfortunate slogan to have prominently plastered on the stadium.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  3. awc713

awc713 Member

It'll never happen, but they should move the community leaders signs above the jumbotron and put the retired numbers across from the pennants on the tracks. Clears the LF facade, tracks look beautiful, stadium looks great.

Oh well.

4. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

Anybody know how the new centerfield seats work? I see you can purchase Torchy's Party Deck seats, but I can't find any info for the Budweiser Brew House or the Batter's Eye section. I know the field level is a group suite, but any info on the other areas?

5. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I'm not sure that "Occidental" would be much better.

6. SuraGotMadHops

Never liked those things. I cant believe they actually had them covering the entire outfield view for a couple of seasons. They're awful anywhere you put them.

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

What, you're not a fan of the opioids? Nothing says baseball like advertising Oxycontin with the biggest sign in the outfield.

Nook likes this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Really dislike the ads they put at the top of each archway.... At some point, there's just no more room to put ads in a way that looks palatable.

9. bigtexxx

These are the single worst thing that could have been put in the stadium. They really junk up the outfield, and it's a money grab for Jim Crane. It took him many years to fill them up with sponsors, and I noticed he closed the final open one this year with his own company's logo. Barf.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm actually not talking about the community leaders signs... those are of course terrible, and I've been against them since day one.

I'm actually talking about the ads now physically IN the archways, at the top. I know, they're subtle... but they're new. Before, you just had the overhang near the Landrys Crawford Boxes archway.... now there's an overhang in every archway.

11. bigtexxx

Wow. I wasn't aware of these and just looked at pictures. Disgusting. Who possibly thought those would look good? The arches could be so nice in left field, but instead we've used them to hang junked up ads off of. Crane is completely tone deaf.

12. Buck Turgidson

It would fit better in Jacksonville or Tennessee, they need sponsors too, right?

In all seriousness, Occidental is one of the more responsible ones, as far as production companies go.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Y'all do realize pretty much every stadium is plastered with ads, rights? MMP is not unique in that regard.

texans1095 likes this.
  14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

NO! IT'S ONLY JIM CRANE AND HE IS EVIL!!! EEEVIIIIILLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!11!!!!11!

RockFanFirst and texans1095 like this.
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Of course. When MMP/Enron opened, there were actually more outfield ads than they had at the Astrodome (which by the end looked like a minor league ballpark, with ads plastered upon ads).

Its the continued addition of ads to spaces that were otherwise unoccupied due to more aesthetic reasons. The unencumbered archways once provided a really clean look for an otherwise cluttered ballpark. Now, its all cluttered.

I'd prefer multi-use ribbon/LED displays. You can use them for ad space, but also can be customized for team features, stadium info, etc. Its more aesthetically pleasing, modernizes the look of the ballpark, and doesn't get an old/dated look with wear/tear.

16. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, go look at pictures of the historical ballparks, every available inch had an ad on it. What we have now is pretty tame by comparison.

Doesn't mean I can't b**** about it, though.

Nook likes this.
  17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Two of those ads bought Yuli Gurriel.

18. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think anybody is complaining about that. People know the deal when it comes to ads in stadiums.

I think the complaint here is that the ads on the left field wall are smack-dab in front of what used to be a beautiful, unobstructed view of downtown. I remember when the stadium first opened; it was so fun and novel to sit in the upper deck and have a perfect view of the game, scoreboard and skyline. Now it's cluttered and ugly.

Also, "community leaders" is a dumb way of saying "Paid a lot of money for these ads when nobody was coming to the games."

awc713 likes this.
  19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The community leaders signs don't obstruct anything. The facade is a little more cluttered than one would like, but nothing obstructed.

They have never really bothered me. Of course back when they were over the tracks like a big d**k in your face, that pissed me off. But now they are more of minor issue with the stadium IMO. The OXY sign aggravates me more, but even that is better than that big Citgo sign that used to be between the lights. At least it's more towards CF now.

Like everyone, I feel no signs would look best, but these signs don't exactly make me shudder.

texans1095 likes this.
  20. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I went last night and had seats in the Torchy's Party Deck. Really enjoyed it, the food was great, really loved the view especially with the roof open and the cool breeze, but I'm paying for the alcohol consumption today. Got the squirts something bad.