1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Taking Melatonin?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da_juice, Aug 9, 2014.

1. da_juice

da_juice Member

Anyone here have experience taking this is as a sleep aid? I have friends who swear by it and I often have trouble falling asleep (and my sleep schedule is all out of whack from a trip to the West Coast). I've read mixed reviews online and wanted more opinions on using it.

2. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

it will help if your not used to taking sleep aids, if you have taken hard core sleep aids probably not

3. mario_v

mario_v Member

I've tried it a couple of times recently. It made me a little drowsy and definitely made me yawn more than usual. But I wouldn't say it knocks me out to go to sleep.

It's only a supplement and I think your body gets used to the melatonin after taking it often.

4. da_juice

da_juice Member

What really bothers me is that I've read stuff online that says that melatonin can make you gain weight, make you depressed. or cause an increase in estrogen. Did anyone here have any issues like that?

5. mario_v

mario_v Member

I've only taken it a couple of times so I haven't experienced anything unusual.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty sensitive to all drugs and I could only take like half a pill. It didn't give me any of those side effects but it did make me start clinching my jaw. I also just talked to a girl who had the same side effect while on melatonin. It was so annoying that it made me stop taking it.

7. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

I took it a couple of years ago. It would make me drowsy within about 30 minutes but the problem for me was that I would wake up so many times during the night when I would take it.

8. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

I have a high tolerance to pills for some reason but melatonin usually knocks me out. Its weird...but yeah, id recommend trying it.

Sometimes this happens with me as well.

9. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

I love this stuff, but I try to take it only when truly necessary. The most effective to me, by far, is the liquid sub-lingual version. It makes sleepy about 30 minutes after taking it. Sound sleep, no noticeable side effects. The reason for not taking it regularly is that melatonin is a hormone, and your body may get ques to stop making it naturally if you are regularly supplementing it. Bright lights, esp. t.v.'s and computers, cell phones, within a few hours of sleep interfere with natural melatonin production, so avoid that stuff at night if at all possible.

link to liquid version: http://www.amazon.com/Melatonin-Liquid-Sublingual-Orange-Source-Naturals/dp/B000GFPBDK

10. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I've taken it regularly in the past. Didn't really experience any weird physical side effects, and it definitely helped me sleep.

I stopped taking it regularly because it tended to give me nightsweating, eye-opening, demonic nightmares that stayed with me the entire day.

11. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

A couple doctors I know swear by it. I've taken it and it helps a little. None of us have gained weight by it.

12. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

I take it quite regularly, it works for me. But does it really cause weight gain? Cause I definitely have gained some since I started taking it but didn't correlate it.

13. 1JumpShot

1JumpShot Member

Every time I take it, I have dreams that I am trying to go to sleep in my dreams lol

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I used to drink too much caffeine. Won't help with something like that - it won't knock you out like ambien or something. I tried it a decade ago and wasn't impressed.

Now that I generally eat better and take care of myself, I use it and love it.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I use it for jet lag. It works but I don't like using anything regularly. It can also give the runs if you take too much.

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Melatonin is a natural hormone we create at night that helps you sleep, helps your immune system and slows aging(antioxidant properties) , there is way's to naturally raise, and protect you melatonin level.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/caffYwhqRSU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The main point in this video is that you need to be in the dark more at night to naturally create melatonin, take a couple of ours to surround your self in darkness before you go to sleep (no phone, house lights, tv or computer lights). Study's show, that a flash of bright light kills 99% of your melatonin creation at night. That means if you go to the bath room and turn on the middle of the night, if you check your phone etc, that your killing your melatonin production.

The salt light's they show at the end of the video are pink himalayan salt lamps, they are pretty awesome.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/03/19/melatonin-benefits.aspx
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/10/10/melatonin.aspx

couple of articles my Dr.Mercola, a natural health doctor I follow, he's not against supplements, but he shows the many natural ways to help your body create melatonin instead of having to pay for supplements.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I sometimes (rarely) use it to combat jet lag. Works quite well for me.

18. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

worked pretty well for me when i used to take it.

however, that zzzquil stuff will knock me straight out

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

IT worked well for me for about a week, and then had little effect on me after that.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Take a bunch of truckers speed during the day then you will have no choice but to sleep at night. If you take too much just keep right on going though the night and try to time it better the next night.