1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T-Mac done for the season

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Sir Geving, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

Magic (19-56) not taking any chances

Associated Press
    ORLANDO, Fla. -- NBA scoring leader Tracy McGrady will miss the rest of the season after the Orlando Magic put him on the injured list Wednesday because of left knee tendinitis.

McGrady, averaging 28 points, skipped the past two games because his knee was sore and now also will be sidelined for the Magic's final seven games.

At 19-56, Orlando has the league's worst record.

"It just isn't getting any better," McGrady said. "The organization doesn't want to me to rush it, and I don't want to rush it. I just don't want to put pressure on myself to try and come back too soon. We're just being cautious."

He's the second NBA star ruled out for the rest of the regular season this week. On Tuesday, the Philadelphia 76ers announced Allen Iverson will miss their final eight games because of persistent pain in his right knee.

McGrady has all but clinched his second straight scoring title. Sacramento's Peja Stojakovic ranks second with 24.7 points.

McGrady also is averaging six rebounds, 5.5 assists and 1.39 steals in 67 games.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1772695

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Which might be their best hope. If they don't improve soon, McGrady might just leave, despite living/playing near his hometown.

Oh, wait; am I preaching to the choir? ;)

4. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

thats ok, since neither him nor iverson will be in the playoffs.

5. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

It's hard to tank when you're already the definition of "the pits.":D

6. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

This was addressed during last sunday's game Magic vs. Mavs

McGrady add comments like he felt the team didn't have "players that know how to win or want to win." He basically stated he's surrounded like scrubs.

The commentators added his disgruntled opinion of the team was the only true reason he's sitting out and that he's not being a leader and role model but more like a spoiled brat.

seems all true to me

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

McGrady's attitude has been criticized by many. It was true that his team was bad. But he is paid millions of dollars to play basketball. I think his quitting attitude simply cheated the fans who paid to see him play. He does sound like a spoiled brat to me.

I think if he had any professionalism, he should play hard for every game. And then after the season is over, maybe talk to the management behind closed door to discuss possible trade.

8. ROXTXIA

I don't know. Tough to judge somebody when he IS the entire team, and not even the scrubs can help him get more wins. Granted, offering Grant Hill a contract before he became a free agent, then having to stick with that agreement despite ankle problems for said player (OK, I'm assuming) might not have been a swift move.

Imagine if the Magic had kept Ben Wallace rather than trade him for Grant Hill. Man, that's gotta hurt.

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Iverson is done for the season too.

10. codell

codell Contributing Member

Okafor will look good in a Magic uniform next year.

He is exactly what they need.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

What does he know about winning?

12. droxford

droxford Member

Yeah, it's true. But the Magic spent all their money getting T-Mac and Grant Hill, hoping that surrounding those two stars with scrubs, they would win some games. Then, maybe they could attract som more talent and fill their roster and start really contending. When they lost Hill, their house of cards fell down.

-- droxford

13. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Ahhhhh, what may have been if Grant Hill's ankle was strong again. The mind reels......

14. ROXTXIA

NO! NO!

Charlotte must get the #1 seed so that we can trade Steve for Okafor.

Of course, Okafor and Yao might not work well on the same team; but I can't help but want our local boy in a Rockets uniform, and worry about a distributor at the 1 or 2 by using the MLE.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

Just what they need, another injured player. oh my.

16. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Charlotte has the #4 pick.

17. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

there goes my fantasy season

18. Shot caller

Shot caller Member

Yeah, he is screwing up some fantasy leagues for sure.

He has had a history of back problems as well. If he is having soreness at all, I could see him wanting to not turn into Grant Hill.

I still hope Hill can make some sort of miracle return next season, but it is doubtfull.

The Magic are in probably the worst shape of all the NBA franchises.