1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Swiftvets: the third ad

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Aug 26, 2004.

1. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Ummm...no.

He's playing up his Vietnam experience over George's...

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

really??!?!? :eek:

;)

3. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

sorry :)

didn't catch the sarcasm. I've been reading too many of basso's posts...

4. mc mark

Completely understandable my friend!

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I was 18 in 1971, maybe a few more years into the dissillusionment with the war in Viet Nam than John Kerry but I tell you this, I consider anyone who allowed themselves to be sent to Viet Nam a dupe. So as far as the war goes George Bush was smarter than John Kerry. But that doesn't mean I would support his domestic agenda now.

I grew up witha jingoist dad who I admired for his service in WW2. I played army every day as a kid and believed I lived in the greatest country on earth. But it didn't take much intellectual enlightenment to understand that our efforts in Viet Nam were a total waste of patriotism. The government of Viet Nam was corrupt, there was no popular support among the people, the North Viet Namese were being supported by two super powers that had the tactical advantage of proximity, the forces of the United States were not going to be allowed to fight to win because winning and losing in Viet Nam was not worth the political danger of starting WW3 i.e. invading North Viet Nam.
    Hell, Lyndon Johnson knew we were going to lose in 1965.

So let's drop this silly **** and talk about where we're going now!

6. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Well said Gene...

[​IMG]

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think there is a problem debating Kerry's Viet Nam service. There is a problem lying about it, or people who weren't there speaking about it.

8. mc mark

Andrew Sullivan on President Bush's Freudian slip about the Swift Boat Ads ...

9. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

Andrew needs to go back on vacation. That wasn't a Freudian slip.

10. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Read an interesting editorial over the weekend.

It suggested that Camp Kerry is just as happy to be discussing Vietnam as Bush and Co.

Afterall, they are still too timid to come out against the war. Says he'd a done it too...with the predictable caveats that he wouldn't have messed it up. He's too scared to come out 'weak' on terror. By Kerry's skirting of the issue, those of us against the war can pin the blame on George...without having to admiT Johnny says he'd have done the same thing.

Same as it ever was.