1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sweden in flames: Gangs of migrants riot for five nights running

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Oct 11, 2015.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sweden in flames: As gangs of migrants riot for five nights running... the Utopian boats of a multicultural success story turn to ashes
    Fifth night of violent riots in Stockholm saw schools destroyed
    Over 70 incidents reported overnight including a torched police station
    Turmoil began Sunday night after police shot a man in Husby suburb
    Incidents in other parts of Sweden spark fear riots are spreading

[​IMG]

It is supposed to be the model multicultural state. But Sweden is facing problems of its own after gangs of immigrants spent a fifth consecutive night rioting in Stockholm.
    Officers are battling to keep the capital under control after hundreds of cars were torched, a police station set alight and fire services kept from a major blaze by a stone-throwing mob of youths.
    To make matters worse, rioting has now spread to Sweden’s two other major cities, Gothenburg and Malmo.

The disturbances, which have lasted longer than the riots in England in the summer of 2011, started last week after police shot dead a foreign-born pensioner who threatened to attack them with a machete.

Left-wing activists came forward to accuse police of racism – a charge strongly denied by the Stockholm force.
    Growing unrest turned to violence last Sunday in a north-western suburb called Husby – where more than 80 per cent of the residents are from overseas, mostly Turkey, Somalia and the Middle East.
    Trouble then spread to some of the city’s most deprived areas, shattering the country’s proud claim that it is a template for a successful and ethnically diverse society.

On Thursday night there were 90 separate blazes in the capital. Thirty cars were torched and there were eight arrests – mostly of people in their early 20s.
    In earlier attacks, groups of up to 100 rioters targeted schools, nurseries and shops – breaking windows and setting buildings ablaze.

In Skogas, south of Stockholm, emergency services were kept from a fire in a restaurant when a gang of youths pelted fire engines with rocks.
    And in nearby Ragsved a violent mob set fire to a police station – the second to come under attack in two days.

Lars Bystrom, a Stockholm police spokesman, said: ‘Such fires are mainly lit to lure the police to the scene, who are then attacked.’
    He admitted officers have been forced to change their tactics, saying: ‘Now if there is a small fire that is not likely to spread, and there is no risk to life, we will send out a patrol and keep an eye on it from a distance.
    ‘But we are not going to bring in the fire brigade unless it’s really dangerous.’
    The attacks on emergency service workers have led to private security companies telling employees to stay at home, as mobs have started attacking anyone wearing a uniform.
    Several public transport routes have also been cancelled after rioters started hurling petrol bombs at buses.

The Foreign Office and the US embassy have warned visitors to stay away from certain suburbs.
    Government leaders have been stunned by the ferocity of the violence in a country which has long been touted as a paragon of social justice.

For decades, supporters of multiculturalism have pointed to Sweden as a classic example of a society which allows immigrants to continue practising their own culture while living peacefully alongside their host communities.
    Around 15 per cent of Sweden’s 9.5million inhabitants were born outside the country.
    The second largest group of immigrants, after the Finns, are Iraqis – numbering more than 125,000. Former Yugoslavs total over 160,000 and Iranians almost 65,000.

While Sweden is still relatively affluent, with living standards among the highest in Europe, tension has grown in recent years as the country struggles to cope with rising youth unemployment and an ever-growing influx of foreigners.
    Unemployment for people born in Sweden is only 6 per cent, but unemployment among those born outside Sweden currently stands at 16 per cent.
    The country’s long-standing ‘open arms’ policy for asylum seekers has brought it to a position where it has one of the world’s highest proportions of asylum seekers relative to its population.
    Among 44 industrialised countries, Sweden ranked fourth in the total number of asylum seekers and second in the number of asylum seekers relative to its population, according to figures from the United Nations.

Government leaders have struggled to explain or control the outbreak of violence, but the anti-immigrant, nationalist Sweden Democrats have soared to third place in the polls.
    The party’s rise reflects the concerns of many native-born Swedes that their country is rapidly changing for the worse.
    Sweden was ruled for decades by the Left-wing Social Democratic Party which has been committed to the creation of an egalitarian society since it was founded in the late 19th century.
    It was ousted from power by the current ruling centre-Right coalition, which has failed to make major changes in the country once dubbed ‘the most successful society the world has ever known’.

Prime minister Fredrik Reinfeldt stressed that everybody needed to take responsibility for their actions if calm was to be restored.
    He added: ‘It’s important to remember that burning your neighbour’s car is not an example of freedom of speech, it’s hooliganism.
    ‘We have groups of young men who believe that you can and should use violence to change society. Let us be clear. This is not okay. We cannot be governed by violence.’

<iframe frameborder="0" width="698" height="573" scrolling="no" id="molvideoplayer" title="MailOnline Embed Player" src="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/embed/video/1009195.html"></iframe>

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l-success-story-turn-ashes.html#ixzz3nqhev0rm

--------------------

I cannot say that I'm surprised. Ms. Merkel is acting highly irresponsibly - we will be facing similar issues in Germany in the near future.

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Where are they deporting the asylum seekers?

3. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Question: Do you think they would be rioting if this quote from the article was not the case: "Unemployment for people born in Sweden is only 6 per cent, but unemployment among those born outside Sweden currently stands at 16 per cent." ?

Also, while I am most likely not as familiar as you are with the allegations of police brutality that the article says the rioters are partially responding to, I think it is worthwhile to make it part of the discussion of analyzing social turmoil in Sweden vis a vis the question of the immigration policy of European countries.

Again, I will reiterate that I am not very knowledgable of the details of the situation in Sweden, so I will neither excuse or condemn the acts of destruction cited in the article -- however, if a particular portion of the population has a much higher unemployment rate, less opportunity, and feels they are being mistreated by the government or the police, these factors have to be considered when analyzing and discussing the situation and immigration policy in general.

Because simply letting immigrants in is not enough if you then subject them to structural unfairness . That has been clear ever since Adrianople, back when the Germanic people were the immigrants fleeing warfare and the Romans let them in, only to mistreat them once they did so. The Germans of course responded by rioting, revolting, killing the emperor, and eventually, after several generations, taking over the Western Roman Empire.

Of course, I don't think the lesson there is that the Romans should not have let them in, I think the lesson is that they should not have subjected them to mistreatment based on race, but should have instead embraced them as they had previously embraced the other European and Mediterranean races they came into contact with.

1 person likes this.
  4. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Dataline/Cenk faints! ;)

5. Nook

Nook Member

I would deport all the people arrested.

A country like Sweden can be very selective about who they do and do not let in their country.

The benefits in Sweden are exceptional.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Yep I didn't get anything searching on google either..

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

"Thugs throw stones"!?!?!? I disagree. It was just "frantic fans." :eek:

9. Nook

Nook Member

10. Nook

Nook Member

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Reading the comment section in both those articles is rather depressing. :(

No wonder why 'regressive liberals' exist. I know the anonymity of the internet brings the worst out of us, but god damn those people frighten me. I don't see Muslim internment camps being out the realm of possibility in the near future if these people gain more political clout. If that happens I wonder how that would affect my family? Would they send my mother in a camp but not me since I'm a veteran? I wonder how these people would handle it.

12. malakas

malakas Member

swedish people are quite racistic too. They look very down upon foreigners or dark haired people. One of my best friends has moved there for work and she has told me countless examples.

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

And this claim by conservatives that think liberals believe that Europe is tolerant. No, we know that Europe in general is more racist than the U.S.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

15. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

But they have light-rail in Sweden. Light. Rail!

16. Nook

Nook Member

Well you are looking at almost 15 years or direct hostility between factions of the Middle East and the West.

Unfortunately the situation is getting worse and not better. I have seen Republican moderates go from seeing the situation as grey, to black and white.

I know Muslims in America that were very secular and not very religious prior to 911, and now are radicalized. Why? Because they feel they are being included with other extremist Muslims and feel unfairly attacked.

Seeing all of this only fuels Muslim extremists, this is what they want. They want to force people to take a side. They do not want the status quo. They want a strong overreaction all the way around.

I don't know if we get to camps, perhaps. If we do, I do not think it will be in the USA. It isn't because the USA is more moral, rather because we are more insulated that Europe and it is harder to pass national legislation.

Also the tension is far worse in Europe. I spend a lot of time there and I can see why both sides are at each others throats. Many Muslims in the UK have no desire to acculturate, they think it goes against Islam. I have seen Muslims spit and curse at other citizens for how they dress or walking the streets during prayer service. I also know that many non strict Muslims get a lot of grief from fundamentalist Muslims in the community.

On the other spectrum, some right wing political groups are trying to cause further problems and provoke Muslims because a Muslim reaction will cause some people sitting on the fence to support right wing measures.

I can tell you this, when it was discussed that so many asylum seekers were trying to get to Western Europe, I knew it would cause a serious problem in the immediate short term.

17. Nook

Nook Member

This is true to a point.

I don't know that it is active racism, but they are used to a particular culture and way of seeing the world. They are not as experienced in diversity and as such do not always know how to handle it.

When have been to Sweden a number of times, and my wife (who is Assyrian) has had absolutely no problems. However my wife is also very Westernized and believes strongly in fitting into your surroundings.

They also find things other people find to be racist, to not be racist.

1 person likes this.
  18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I haven't experienced racism in Sweden just because I have dark hair and look different. malakas/OHMSS/KillBillPana is talking out of his ass, as usual. Sweden is a very liberal society.

As to New Yorker's claims that this is not happening and that the Daily Mail made it all up :rolleyes:, I have seen similar things happening in Malmö and to some extent Copenhagen as far back as 15 years ago.

Strangely, I can also not find very current articles other than the Daily Mail one, but that doesn't mean that this stuff has not been happening - at the most, they regurgitated some months old news.

Here is an article from some months ago:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/12/07/uk-sweden-riots-idUKKBN0JL0A820141207

Firebombs thrown at police in Stockholm riot

Police were attacked with firebombs and rocks in a poor suburb in Sweden's capital late on Saturday, leading to the arrest of eleven young people for rioting and arson.

The events in Ragsved in southern Stockholm came after week-long riots in Husby on the other side of the capital in May last year when hundreds of cars were burnt as police battled immigrant youths after a Portuguese man was shot dead by police.

A police spokesman said it was too early to say who the perpetrators were this time, but that four of the eleven arrested were younger than 18.

"What is quite unusual here is that this was seemingly somewhat planned ahead," police spokesman Kjell Lindgren said.

He said firebombs and piles of paving stones were already prepared when police arrived and the approximate 30 people behind the riot were reported to have been masked.

No people were harmed but around 10 cars were set on fire. Police cars were damaged and a Ragsved police office also saw some damage.

Like Husby, Ragsved has a large immigrant population, and further violence in immigrant suburbs could help boost the far-right anti-immigration Sweden Democrats in snap elections in March next year.

The Sweden Democrats effectively brought the centre-left government down after just two months in office by breaking with common practice and voting for the centre-right opposition budget, thereby getting it passed.

Prime Minister Stefan Lofven said on Wednesday he would call for the country's first snap elections in over 50 years, to be held March 22 next year.

The Sweden Democrats made significant gains in the regular election in September, doubling their vote to become the third largest party.

19. malakas

malakas Member

I'm sick and tired of your unsubstantiated harassment and libels. Either prove your lies/ ask the mods to prove it or shut your mouth. When you have nothing to support your arguments you show the level of your education and culture by personally attacking others. :rolleyes:
    And just because you a german haven't exposed to racism in Sweden that doesn't mean people right now in the days of crisis who live and work in Sweden DO NOT. The world doesn't revolve around you.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

[​IMG]