1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SUVs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Buck Turgidson, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Buck Turgidson

I know trucks, but I know next to nothing about newer model SUVs. My moms thinks her Tahoe is too old and wants a new "car". Wants 4WD, but does most of her driving on the highway so also wants to get better gas mileage, yet will need to tow a small utility trailer on occasion.

Toyota? Ford? Chevy? Tesla? What says the board?

2. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Subaru Forester. Compact suv, standard all wheel drive, I get 27 mpg combined highway/city, with about 32 on highway

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Yeah. The 4x4 SUV offroad package would be the way to go. Thing is, they dont exist. She's asking for too much. I'm about to sla

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Edited

5. Buck Turgidson

Hadnt thought about those. Thanks. I've had nothing but good experiences with other people's subarus, outbacks only. How's the cargo space on the Forester? (most important) Do you tow anything with it? (less important)

Other guy: the tesla thing was a joke.

6. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

What happened to the Volvo? Considering a SUV as a secondary vehicle myself...but I would probably go with the Honda CRV.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I just bought an Outback last December, so drove both that and a Forester. Outback is bigger (about 6 inches more cargo space) and can tow more.

From a Subura dealer page:

Towing Capacity:
    If you have heavy things you tow around, opt for the Outback. The 2.5i Outback has a maximum towing capacity of 2,700 lbs, while the 3.6R Outback can haul 3,000 lbs. The 2015 Forester has a maximum towing capacity of 1,500 lbs.

I'm getting about 26 mpg on the highway, but in Texas she'll get better. She still might like the Forester better. It sits higher and has better gas mileage.

Mine is a 2014. I've heard the 2015 is one of Subura's big 7-yr changes, so apparently a good year to buy.

8. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

better gas mileage and 4wd?

9. Buck Turgidson

Hmmm, wouldn't have thought that about the Outback v. Forester as far as towing, of course I haven't looked into the engines or anything.

Yeah, she's a little hobbit lady and likes to sit up high, thus the Tahoe. She does use the cargo space though, Master Gardener that she is. Towing is not a big deal at all (at most it would be a flatbed utility trailer, I do all the heavy duty crap), it's more mileage and height and cargo room. Thanks, dude.

10. Buck Turgidson

You know they don't have to be in 4wd all the time, right?

11. NateNate

NateNate Member

Is she looking to sell the Tahoe she's driving now? Someone recently totaled my car and I'm looking into getting into something soon

12. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

We just bought a 2015 Outback for my wife. I wouldn't consider it good for towing (we opted for the better gas mileage of the 2.5i - averaging close to 28 mpg, mixed use), but it has plenty of room, and has a pretty tall feeling ride (but looking at it from the outside, it looks like you sit low).

It has 8.7 inches of ground clearance and is AWD, standard. Pretty good little vehicle I think.

The Forester looks more like an SUV and sits up a little higher (same ground clearance, just different feel from the driver seat).

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Volvo's XC90 is solid. Nothing flashy but solid, although they are changing the body styles and i'm always a little hesitant to buy a vehicle right after a change up.

I like the look of the Audi Q7 but I haven't done any research on them.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I've never owned a subaru but everyone that does loves them from what I can tell.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Wife has an Outback and it's fantastic. Forester has more space in the back and it sits up higher but it wouldn't be as much as a Tahoe. Put the back seats down, though, and there will be plenty for gardening type stuff. At the very least, you'd be getting a vehicle that is very well made, will last a long time, and retains it's value very well.

16. tested911

tested911 Member

My In-Laws bought a forester for my daughter last year and I've been driving it almost daily. This damn little SUV is fun and wish it had a little more umpf, but granted it's a small suv and not meant for fast "go"... It handles really well, has good pickup to go in/out of lanes, and the most important thing is the confidence you feel w/ the AWD system in place. I feel I can take it anywhere.. Of course you probably read the awards it's gotten this year and the youtube videos on how the AWD system really beats it's competitors on steep grades.

I just wish it was a little bigger, and the cargo space is adequate if your a family of four. I haven't towed anything w/ the Sub so I can't comment on that aspect.

17. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I recently went on a road trip in a new 2015 Suburban. I wasn't a fan of the exterior but it grew on me. The interior is damn nice, especially the hidden compartment behind the radio. You press a button and the screen raises up to reveal it. I'd imagine that the new Tahoo is very similar.

18. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

My volvo was totaled. I then went to a bmw z4 for a couple years, but I got tired of never being able to carry around any passengers or cargo.

As far as the OP's questions, the Subaru has decent cargo capacity. I go to costco once a month and load the rear up with bulk items...never had a problem getting everything in. For additional space, you can fold down the backseats. I've fit a new in box weber 3 burner grill back there with no problems.

Like another poster mentioned, the suv received great reviews & awards across the board.

I also looked at the RAV4, CX-5, and CRV. All were pretty comparable, but the all wheel drive sold me on the subaru. The other suvs offer trims with all wheel drive, but the subaru was specifically designed with it. As such, the ride over non-pavement is more forgiving and intuitive in the forester.

19. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Second this. I've got the 2014 Sub Forester turbo version so I get a little worse mpg. It's an awesome vehicle. Great handling, smart layout, lots of fun to drive.

20. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We just got back from a camping trip to Bodega Bay and packed a ton of crap in it. We haven't towed anything with the Forester, but I used to tow a small pop up camper with my Impreza Outback Sport, so you should be good to go with a small trailer.