1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Super Bowl Predictions anyone?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by asw, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Preseason Pick- Raiders over Rams
    New Pick- Raiders over Eagles.... Woodson 2Ints Super Bowl MVP

2. Gascon

Gascon Member

AFC - The Patriots, The Dolphins, The Colts, The Raiders, The Broncos, and the Ravens make the playoffs.

The Chargers will slow down, and someone has to win the AFC North....it won't be Cleveland. Noone mentioned the Pats in preseason and they're still going unmentioned now that they've lost two in a row. That baffles me. The Pats will pull it together and be major players before this is all said and done. The big X-factor are The Ravens. Ray Lewis should never be under estimated, and he has that defense playing with fire and pride again. Watch the Ravens.

NFC - The Eagles, The Saints, The 49ers, The Bucs, The Packers, and The Giants make the playoffs.

The Bears are too broken down, and Jim Miller isn't that guy to overcome that kind of adversity. Brett Favre is. The 49ers make it in by default. This is the easy one to predict, as both Carolina and Arizona will fade into obscurity as the season rolls on. The only threat to this prediction are The Redskins. If they make it in, it will be much to the chagrin of the Giants. Brett Favre is the major X-factor in this Conference. Never underestimate him. Another X-factor are the Bucs. Grudin is dangerous.

The most intriguing matchup would obviously be The Bucs vs The Raiders. That won't happen.

The AFC will come down to The Pats and The Broncos. The Pats getting there in dramatic fasion with yet another victory over the hapless Raiders. The Broncos will outrun the Ravens in a close one. The Colts and Dolphins will exit early. The Broncos prevail in a classic Winter Battle.

The NFC will come down to The Eagles and The Bucs. The Eagles will beat the 49ers. The Bucs will outlast the Packers. The Giants and Saints exit early. The Bucs will contain McNabb and make Jon Gruden the second coming of Vince Lombardi in Tampa.

The Broncos win yet another Super Bowl in a delicate Chess Match decided by the dominant running of Clinton Poris/Olandis Gary/Mike Anderson and the vast ineptitude of Johnson/Johnson.

3. asw

asw Member

It seems as though most of you are sticking with favorites to make the Super Bowl. Out of 16 of you that have put forth predictions in this thread after the first four and now five weeks, 12 of you went with favorites.

Gascon, you did a very well thought out complete prediction post, with only one surprise pick with the Ravens, but you don't have them getting out of the first round. Are you saying that the trend of the last three years is over?

I understand how you all can feel that the Patriots, Broncos, Raiders, or Dolphins are the likely team to be in the Super Bowl, but the trend may continue and we will all be surprised by which team actually gets there out of the AFC. Of course I went with no surprise in the NFC, so I agree with most of you there. Brett Favre is just an amazing quarterback and has a good team around him now. Last night was an amazing performance against the Bears.

Flagrant, your double surprise pick is cool! That could very well happen with the way things have worked in the NFL over the last few seasons. That would be a real shocker of a matchup!

The Jaguars are still surprising everyone, by continuing to win. I imagine that most of you did not feel that they would beat Philadelphia, thus revealing that they are not going to continue this surprising success this season. But they did. That is exactly what happened last year with the Patriots. Most people kept expecting their winning to just end and for them to fade away. This will continue to be a very interesting season!

4. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Denver vs Green Bay

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Just realized I didn't make my Super Bowl pick earlier in this thread.

Saints 31, Chiefs 24

The Saints are 4-1, with wins over four Super Bowl contenders, and still don't seem to be getting a lot of respect. They are legit, and will only get better when Dale Carter returns and as Stallworth improves week by week. That offense is one of the most dangerous in the NFL; there's not a place on it, including the line, that isn't well above average.

I still think the Chiefs will find a way in, even with their division.

6. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Gascon, great post. Here is what I agree with:

I agree the Chargers are not that good (easy schedule, they are pretenders). I agree the Pats are good--despite their defense looking really flabby the rest of the year. I think the AFC winner will have to knock them off on the field. Yeah, the Bears have fallen off the wagon. You have to have a better QB then Jim Miller to advance in the playoffs (why they didn't go after Bledsoe is beyond me). Also, GB is solid and TB is solid. GB, TB and Phily are the 3 best teams inthe NFC.

I don't think so. If you want spoilers, how about the Buffalo Bills. Probably won't make the playoff because of their division, but they can be dangerous. Them and KC will be inevitably held from the playoffs or going much over 500 this year because of their Ds though--the opposite of the Ravens.

Neither the Giants or Redskins will likely make it. If they do, they will get a quick WC exit anyway. If I had to pick between them I'd say the Giants, because the Redskins still do suck, but Carolina, the Bears or Arizona could easily take the last playoff spot because they have some scrubbier teams in their divisions.

I think it will if the Bucs hold up their part (more doubtful).

Try Raiders instead of the Broncos. Gannon gives the Raiders the offensive edge and the Woodson's give the Raiders the playmakers on defense.

Also, Brady and Gannon give these two teams the nod over the Fish or Broncos--the other 2 of the 4 best AFC teams, but this time Gannon has the better defense than Brady does and gets to play at home throughout the playoffs.

A good bet but I would throw GB in there too.

Nope, Raiders over Iggles. Gannon makes just enough plays to Garner, Brown, Rice & Porter, and the Woodsons' join the end zone party at McNabb's expense.

7. The Cat

Interesting, considering the Saints already beat two of the three teams you included. Totally different team, totally different season. The Saints haters now sound like the Niners fans claiming "same old Rams" when they turned it around in 1999.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The Raiders offense is the key with the emergence of Garner and Porter as weapons and not last resorts. The Defense has one difference, Its added Play-makers like Romo, R-Wood, and Phil Buchanon, Its not a great Ravens-Like dominating Defense, but it makes the plays when it has to.

9. Desert Scar

...Maybe because in typical Saint fashion they followed this up with a loss to the Lions . Also, Pittsburgh and Tito Maddox hardly are superbowl contenders.

My own belief is as follows: The Saints make the playoffs but do not get a bye. Then they probably lose their first playoff game. Why? Not simply because they are the Saints, but because: 1) Brooks is talented but does not manage a game well, 2) their defense looks shoddier than previous years, 3) their coach is a terrible game tactician, and 4) their team is undisciplined on the field. So despite them having among the best skill position players in the league, there are too many fundamental problems that will bite them when they play a better prepared team by a better coach in a must win atmosphere.

No way. Yes their offense is humming, but their defense is the worst in the league, bar none. Plus, they have the Raiders and Broncos in their divisions, who have nearly as good offenses (Raiders might even be better offensively) and much better defenses.

And what did they follow it up with, a loss to the not-so-Indomidable Lions. I am not a Saints hater. I have followed them the better part of the last 15 years and constantly was routing for them to win the West. My comments above not out of any ill-will, it is just a matter of realism after watching that franchise bumble when the going gets tough so many times, plus I do see some fundamental weaknesses I pointed out. Having great skill players and putting up points in bunches is wonderfull, but come deep in the playoffs you need a defense and a poised offensive unit--just ask a Viking fan for the better part of the last decade.

#29 Desert Scar, Oct 8, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2002
  10. The Cat

Oh, so if you ever overlook a team, you can't be a Super Bowl contender? They had already beaten three great teams, two on the road, and had a very good team in the next week. It's one of the classic letdown games... happens to everyone every year in the NFL. They also had a CB playing with one hand that the Lions picked on all game.

1.) Last year. If you've watched the Saints this year, Brooks' on-field smarts have improved immensely. This guy is a leader on the field, makes smart decisions, and commands respect from his teammates. I've seen him make maybe three bad throws this entire season. This year, Brooks has been one of the premier QB's in the league.

2.) The defense has held up very well, considering many of the new schemes were designed for Dale Carter. The pass rush is fabulous compared to last year, and the secondary has been average. Once Carter returns, I think this will be above average as well.

3.) Not sure what you mean here. IMO, Haslett is one of the best coaches in the league, and over the years has always had the Saints ready for big games. He struggled last year, but there's no coach in world history that could've stopped that bunch from quitting.

4.) Last year. The penalties this year are way down, as are the mental mistakes from Brooks and other players.

Trust me, Scar, watch some of the Saints games this year (besides the Lions game). A few of your complaints have merit, but for the most part you really seem to be tying the problems from last year to this year, like it is a continuation. It's not. Gotta give you credit on the Tito Maddox line though... that was funny! :D

11. Desert Scar

What about the "Not-so-Indomitable Lions?"

We will see Cat. I'll route for the Saints against any of the serious NFC contenders with the possible exception of the Bucs, Cards and Panthers--those are the only realistic NFC playoff teams I don't fall somewhere between despising them (Iggles, Whiners, Skins) and strongly disliking them (GB, Giants). I just see Phily, GB and TB as being better late in the season (especially when TB better adjusts to Gruden on offense, they already have the best D in the league) and in the playoffs. Again, we will just have to wait and see, but I expect the Saints to faulter, and I don't expect Dale Carter to be a savior even if they get him back, he hasn't look that good for a few years. Personally, a Saints-Bucs third game to decide the NFC championship would be peachy to me, I just doubt it more from the Saints end then the Bucs (I don't.

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Now <i>that's</i> even funnier than the Tito Maddox line...Dale Carter returning. :) The guy has spent more time serving suspensions than he has on the field. I mean, the last time he was a legit starter was in KC.

13. The Cat

But see, if he comes back around week 12 he may not have enough time to get in trouble again. :)

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

so, what has Dale's half brother been doing for the Saints this year?

15. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Jags-Eagles rematch

16. Gascon

Gascon Member

asw,

It's only a trend because it's happened three straight years, and as all trends do, it will end quickly.

Desert Scar,

What can I say? I'm a Gannon-hater. I've never been a believer and I feel once teams figure out how to put pressure on him, he folds. I don't think that's the key to beating the Raiders, though. I think you do what the Ravens did their Super Bowl year by completely eliminating the run. Take Garner out of the equation, force Gannon to throw the ball fifty times....it'll be a lot more difficult in Week 19 or 20 than it was early in the season.

My Raven prediction hinges on two factors.
    a) A healthy Ray Lewis
    b) There's noone in that division. Someone has to win it. I think they have the best shot. Cleveland is not impressing.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Rich Gannon is the best QB in the AFC. I am so ****ing sick of everyone saying he is a product of the system, what the hell was Joe Montana, what was Troy Aikman? Just because the guy never got a 2nd chance to start until he was 34 years old doesn't mean he will always suck. Rich Gannon doesn't have a great arm, he isn't good at all with the two minute drill, but he runs the WCO almost as good as Montana. Montana never threw for 4000 yards in season. Not once once did Joe Montana start 16 games in back to back seasons. It was his postseason sucees that garnered him fame and renown.

According to plan in the WCO, (montana did win in 81 before this) The QB Wins the Super Bowl in his 4th season as Full Starter.
    Gannon's season? 4th

Joe Montana 1983 (3rd Full Season as QB)

Games Played/Started 16/16
    ATT/COMP 515/332
    Yards - 3910
    Comp Pct.- 64.5
    TD - 26
    INT - 12
    Long - 94.6

1983 Post Season

Games - 2
    ATT/COMP 79/45
    Yards - 548
    Comp Pct. - 57
    TD - 4
    INT - 2
    Rating - 85.1

Rich Gannon 2001 (3rd full Season as QB)

Games Played/Started 16/16
    ATT/COMP - 549/361
    Comp Pct. 65.8
    Yards - 3828
    TD - 27
    INT - 9
    Rating - 95.5

2001 Post Season

Games - 2
    ATT/COMP 60/40
    Yards - 453
    Comp Pct. - 66.7
    TD - 3
    INT - 0
    Rating - 105.8

So as you see, By the 4th season at the helm, A Great QB will have mastered the scheme and leads his team to glory, as did Montana in 1984, As Will Rich Gannon in 2002. Also this is Donovan McNabb's 3rd full year as a starter, I would bet his stats will be very close to the ones above here at the end of the year.

#37 moestavern19, Oct 11, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2002
  18. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Here's my prediction. 2 teams will play against eachother and one will win. Pretty accurate if you ask me.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Packers v. Dolphins

20. Gascon

Gascon Member

moestavern19...

Put the gun down... :rolleyes:

What can I say? We'll continue this conversation in January. If I'm wrong about Gannon, I'll eat my crow and like it.

But I don't think it's on the menu. ;)