1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Super Bowl Predictions anyone?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by asw, Oct 4, 2002.

1. asw

asw Member

After the past few years, there always seems to be at least one suprise team in the Super Bowl that no one would have picked prior to the season. Who will be this year's surprise team? We already have some indications after the first four weeks. Do any of you have ideas on who might be the surprise team to get to the Super Bowl this year? The past few years we had St Louis (their first year to make it), Tennessee, Baltimore, Giants, and New England, all make it when after the first four weeks no one really thought they would be there in the end.
    I will go with Brett Favre out of the NFC as no real surprise, and the real shocker to me would be Jacksonville. They have the players in the key positions and NO ONE HAS EVEN REMOTELY CONSIDERED THEM. That to me is part of a determining factor.

So, Packers against Jacksonville, for me.

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

(Warning...homer alert)

I'm really keeping my eye on KC...the offense can hang with anyone right now. The defense isn't too great, but hopefully they can get it together soon. Everyone is watchign Oakland and San Diego, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if KC took at least 2nd in the AFC West.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

DHR beat me to it.

It will be a tough task in the AFC West, but I really think the Chiefs have the pieces in place for a legit playoff run this year. Priest Holmes, imo, is clearly the best RB in the game right now, and Trent Green is playing better than he ever has. Morton and Kennison were underrated pickups at receiver too. Offensively, this team has a lot of simularities to the 2000 Rams... putting up 38 and 48 against the Pats and Dolphins in consecutive weeks is no easy task.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Still think that Miami's is better than what they did last week against KC. I'll go with Miami and Philly in the SB with Miami winning 30 to 24.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i already picked new england over san francisco...i'll stick with it..

6. drapg

drapg Member

wow madmax, that was my preseason pick also!! :D

man i'm glad i didn't hop on the rams bandwagon before the season!

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I picked Oakland over San Fran in that NFL season prediction thread. and i was the only one who didn't pick The Rams to win their division. The Chiefs offense is looking better but don't get ahead of yourselves, Trent Green is still a turnover machine who throws a lot of stupid passes, Gonzalez and Holmes may be the best at their positions but Morton has been a dissapointment so far, and the Secondary is still getting torn apart by any QB with half an arm.

8. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Preseason pick: Philly over Pittsburgh

Revised pick: Philly over Denver

(I'd pick Oakland, but with their players being so old, ONE of their key cogs has to get hurt sometime this year...)

9. ElGrandeQueso

ElGrandeQueso Member

Preseason Pick: Browns over Rams
    New Pick: Browns over Eagles

10. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

Eagles vs Dolphins

Eagles win.

I would have chosen the Pats to repeat but you can't give that many rushing yards and expect to repeat. Plus they have Ricky Williams next, I have a feeling that the Pats are about to be brought back down to Earth if they haven't already.

On that note has anyone realized that the 3 top rushers in the NFL are from Texas?

11. Buck Turgidson

The previous 3 Super Bowl winners (Patriots, Ravens, Rams) did not appear on Monday Night Football during their championship season. Naturally, I predict that this trend will continue & one of the following teams will win it this year: Arizona, Atlanta, Buffalo, Carolina, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Minnesota, New Orleans or San Diego.

If forced to pick one, I'll go with the Chargers.

(this factiod was first noted by Gregg Easterbrook on ESPN's Page 2)

12. Smallz88

Smallz88 Member

My SuperBowl picks is Philly vs Miami

13. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Philly 10 Kansas City 28

14. HaYnBoi

HaYnBoi Member

I like Oakland out of the AFC and The Eagles out of the NFC

Oakland 27, Eagles 24

15. asw

asw Member

That is really cool.... I did not know that!

16. asw

asw Member

Wow! That is a wierd fact. That was kind of what I was talking about with my first post. This is a new level of competition in the NFL. Gone are the seasons when going into the season every one could limit the number of teams that would really get to the super bowl to anywhere from two to say maybe five. But, the past few seasons have shown that any team can go from worst to literally first.

The Chargers are a great one to go with. They fit the trend of the past few years, really well don't they? But, so does Jacksonville. I am going with Jacksonville, because I noticed that in this trend, no team had done it in that coach's first season with the team, so to me, that eliminated San Diego and Indianapolis from the surprise team trend.

17. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I hate the Iggles but I have to admit I think they are the best of the NFC.

But I'd predict The Raiders over the Iggles in the Superbowl.

18. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Chiefs 39 aINTS 44

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

actually the 4th leading rusher Lamar Smith went to college at Houston too. :)

20. Dusty Bottoms

Dusty Bottoms Member

Picking even favorites to make it to the super bowl at this point is tough but I think I'll go with Da Bears vs Miami. I think that the possible surprise teams I'm going with are Cleveland and Atlanta. Cleveland is finally playing pretty well offensively and Atlanta should have a much better record than they actually do. If they can sneak into the playoffs they could be tough.