1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sup Washington State

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by moestavern19, Jan 14, 2017.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yeah, what's going on? I have relocated to Eastern Washington. Chucked the deuce on Tejas. This area is beautiful. I'm closer to my roots in Western Montana. Seattle, 5 hour drive. Portland, 6 hour drive, Calgary, 7 hour drive. Lots of scenery out here. I could only stare at oil refineries for so long.

Won't miss 7 month summers much.

I packed up my family 5 days before Christmas and said, we're ****in leaving. I drove a Penske Truck towing an SUV 2100 miles with an autistic 5 year old In the front seat with me most of the time. I drove through Eastern Utah in late December to shave 5 hours off the route I order to get there in time for Christmas. The trailer blew a tire about 100 miles past San Antonio. No way I was staying in deliverance country so we drove all the way to Fort Stockton that night. 4 days straight of 12 hour drives. None of us will ever forget it. Our families said we were insane. We were. But we made it.

We hit snow coming down a pass and the roads were icy at 8,000 feet. My wife is tailing behind me in a Hyundai whose tires are in no way suited for winter weather.

That was the most insane thing I have ever done. I felt alive when I got to SLC that night. Days Inn of Ogden Utah is a POS hotel BTW.

What a journey. Sometimes you gotta do something crazy to change your luck I guess.

LCAhmed, mikol13, Fyreball and 11 others like this.
  2. red

red Contributing Member

Welcome! Good luck finding decent BBQ.

3. Asian Sensation

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

But...Whataburger!

Hope this works well for yall. My wife and I wouldn't mind just bolting for something different either. Just a matter of what will be available and when.

Also avoid looking at the Eastern Washington football field if you can. Just awful.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Nice... good luck there Moes. Did the reverse in 2000, packed the family and moved from Northern California to Houston area and despite family and friends thinking I was crazy we have enjoyed every bit of it. But if I were do it again, eastern Washington would be a great place to move to. My daughter would love it... she is a big Gonzaga fan and would love to play for the women's basketball team. Though right now, the U of Washington team (aka, the Rockets of women's basketball; with Kelsey Plum, aka James Harden) is her new favorite team.

If you don't mind asking... why eastern Washington? Job move?

shastarocket likes this.
  6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

This is like the modern day Oregon trail story. Except you didn't die of dysentery.

7. Buck Turgidson

Awesome, beautiful part of the country. It is funny that someone in Eastern Washington would complain about "Deliverance Country", there's some people up there and in Idaho/Oregon that would make Billy Bob from Biloxi watch his back.

#7 Buck Turgidson, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Good for you. It is a gorgeous part of the country. Winters will be tough (when Portland is not, at all, five hours away), but y'all will adjust, and you'll meet some good people. And I sympathize with the getting closer to family part. Missing my family much more now than I used to.

I'm guessing you're near the Columbia Gorge, based on drive times. Or I hope so anyway -- that is an incredible river valley, with much to explore. And surprising outposts of civilization / good eats / good beer that will be much closer to you than Portland.

I seriously considered a job out there in Walla Walla, but didn't pull the trigger. Cities are over-rated.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What exactly made you pull the trigger?

10. Buck Turgidson

I totally understand moe's move. I do love being ~1 hour away from city, though, and then being able to leave it.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

A series of unfortunate events in 2016 culminating with my wife basically being diagnosed with a chronic illness, then being forced out of her job.

The move had been premeditated for about a year. The real goal is to be in a smaller city, closer to nature, closer to most of my family, even though they are insane Trump lovers. Being in an actual city of all least 100k people with a job market made Spokane appealing.

Yeah it is cold here. 2 degrees last night. Big Deal. Cold is much easier to deal with than heat. The real b**** of winter is how hard it makes driving.

The Pacific Northwest is beautiful and 420 friendly.

12. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Idaho is amazingly beautiful as well and right next door to you. Love that area of the country. Good luck on the move west.

#12 Xenon, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

A quote you wouldn't normally hear from Rockets-blooded fans who detest Malone and Stockton. :p

Dude, that's crazy you left H-Town. I felt the same way.....I needed a change when I moved from Houston and I was so happy I made the move. I never looked back.

My wife and I went to Seattle over 10 years ago during the summer and loved it. We definitely want to visit again this time with the kids.

Good luck in the NW, brah.

moestavern19 likes this.
  14. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

Good riddance!

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I saw that the old Handford nuclear waste sight has been leaking recently, keep an eye on that if you're close.

16. Poloshirtbandit

My wife has family in Spokane. We go visit a couple times a year. Nice place to visit but seems terrible to live there.

DudeWah likes this.
  17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sounds like a real adventure just making the trip, Moes. Must be a story behind what happened to your lady. Hope she feels better up there. It is truly beautiful country. Good luck! If you want something fun to do one year in early August, Spokane is a good jumping off point for driving from the States to the Kaslo Jazz, Etc. Festival. North of Nelson, a pretty BC college town, Kaslo is a village in a spectacular setting that has had this jazz festival since the early '90's, when a good friend of mine, a native Texan who moved to BC in the early '70's, got the idea to start it after going to the festival in Corpus Christie. Always excellent jazz and blues, with great local beer and ale at the fest. I plug it here periodically, if it sounds familiar. ;)

moestavern19 likes this.
  18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

What specifically would you define as terrible?

19. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

seems like it's kinda out of the blue. hope you find what you're looking for up there. your a cool arse dude. :)

20. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Sometimes you've just got to do it. Houstons been overrated (hard to imagine) since 2010.