1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suns and Kings have had discussions about a trade involving Demarcus Cousins

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by zeeshan2, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Because he's shown nothing that suggests that he actually wants to be there, and the Kings need to hit the reboot button badly. Right now, they look like a team that will finish in 10th place for the next 3 years.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Seriously.
    I'm not sure why the Kings don't really auction him off and see what they can get.
    Because it'll set them back? Back from what- consistently being in the lottery?

Not to mention the guy is grossly overrated, imo. He puts up empty stats, imo. He's not an efficient scorer for a big man. Adding a decent 3 point shot has helped, but he still shoots under 48% from 2. He has incredibly high usage - as in 3% higher than even Harden has. He's a soild rebounder but not great defensively. But more than anything, he's the on the court leader and face of that squad and has done absolutely squat to promote the kind of culture and organization geared towards success.

He'd be good in a culture already set up that won't take his antics. The Spurs, obviously, as the best example.

But there's no way I'm trading a player like Devin Booker for him.

BigMaloe and YOLO like this.
  3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Because they know he's not staying there...or, at least this is what they should think imo. The funny thing is that they'll probably not trade him and end up lose him for nothing.

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

The Kings are the worst franchise for a reason.

Personally i would still take a flyer on him because i just love his package which i think is objectively amazing and a change of scenario can turn a career (watch Z.Bo), but at the same time i understand those who don't like him...the point is that after all these seasons, both sides really need to part ways, to me it's riduculous they're still trying to make it work, but Kings gonna Kings...

5. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Yes, he may not stay there, they could end up lose him after this year. If they want to trade him, need talk to Boston, NY, Canadian Raptor and every team in NBA sooner. Kings just suck, they need change the name to Queens

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Some people think that there's a good chance he's staying there after the new cba, but to it's difficult to believe this...

7. malakas

malakas Member

Cousins is insanely stupid if he demands to get traded now. It's like lighting fire to what? I don't even know how many millions. Because he's a center he has very good chances to be one of the few to qualify for the designated vet max extension.

If it's true it shows that it's the Kings who dont' want to pay him not Cousins that wants to leave (for the time being).
    Anyway the Suns are the team with the most assets at this point and a short sighted enough owner so it makes some sense.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

yeah, the new CBA makes it very financially rewarding to DMC to stay with the Kings if they throw the super-max on him. Even with the disfunction, would be tough to walk away from that money. Plus Joerger is there, and DMC likes him so that's something.

BTW, I highly encourage all to read Kevin Arnovitz's awesome DMC/Kings story
    http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...emarcus-cousins-sacramento-kings-real-problem
    Some great stuff in there.

No Chance, BigMaloe and Vivi like this.
  9. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Was listening to the radio on the way to work this morning and they had a poll about Cousins in PHX. The majority of the fans don't seem to want him here.

10. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Tried to do a trade for Cousins with the Rockets players and

[​IMG]

11. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

hmmmmm

BigShasta and BigMaloe like this.
  12. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, no question about that, i just don't expect every player to stay to his original team cause he can cash in (a lot) more, which seems to be an overused argument to me, i mean, it's definitely something to consider, but sometimes it seems like no top player will ever bolt with this cba, and i'm not sure about that...btw thanks, great find.

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

Lol :D

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

My gut instinct with the new CBA and the super max contracts is that ALL of the players will take them. But then if the team situation continues to be rocky, they will try to "pout their way out" (ala McGrady & Dwight in Orlando). Try to force a trade.....but still get the money. ;)

15. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

If they are in talks for a trade and I'm morey, I'm working the phones to acquire Tyson Chandler for cheap and try to dump brewer in Sacramento rather than Tyson because his deal is one year shorter and for less money annually. Hell, I'd even give them montrezl

Houston gets Tyson chandler

Phoenix gets Cousins and Afflalo

Sacramento gets brewer/ montrezl/ chriss/ warren/ phx1st(2017)/ Miami1st(2018)

Houston significantly upgrades interior defense. Tyson is a perfect fit for the system both on offense and defense.

Phoenix gets a true franchise player to pair with Bledsoe and up and coming Booker. Lose some quality assets and have to swallow afflalos contract but we'll worth it.

Sacramento gets a full on reset. Phoenix 1st is projected to be top3-5. Miami doesn't look promising so next year's 1st has some serious potential as well. They get an entire youth movement with some solid potential in chriss/warren/montrezl.

Chamillionaire likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

The yearly "We are not trading DeMarcus Cousins" story

Vlade: We're not trading DeMarcus

In his strongest public statement to date on the subject, Sacramento Kings general manager Vlade Divac told ESPN on Monday that All-Star center DeMarcus Cousins is going nowhere before the Feb. 23 trade deadline.

Amid recent reports that the Kings had engaged the Phoenix Suns in talks involving Cousins, as well as suggestions that some in the organization were advocating a trade, Divac insisted by phone that any such speculation was untrue.

"We're not trading DeMarcus," Divac told ESPN. "We hope he's here for a long time."

Sources told ESPN that Divac recently met face to face with Cousins and his representatives to make it clear that the 26-year-old is not being made available to interested teams and and encouraged them to ignore any media speculation leading up to the trade deadline.

ESPN reported in early January that the Kings already have begun planning to offer Cousins one of the league's new maximum Designated Player contract extensions -- estimated to be in the $219 million range over five seasons -- once the league's new collective bargaining agreement takes effect in July.

Asked by ESPN on Monday about those intentions by ESPN, Divac said: "We are going in that direction."

hakeem94 and Vivi like this.
  17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Dayum
    $40m per year?

Is that only for teams holding Bird Rights? If so, it really sux that OKC lost Durant a year before that came out. And how many players can one team give that to. Maybe Durant and WB couldn't both get one. Also, what's the deal with the special provisions for WB and Harden. They get to renegotiate as a designated player right away, correct.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yes, WB & Harden will be grandfathered in. That's what I remember hearing from Marc Stein, when the new CBA was talked about.

19. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

If I am the Suns, I will laugh and hang up.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Well, then you ain't gettin' no coke.

Deckard likes this.