1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Summer League Game 1 Impressions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jogo, Jul 8, 2017.

1. jogo

jogo Member

What did you see from our team? Who has potential to play and who doesn't? One game sample size. (Caution: long post) I wanted to create a post where we could compare notes about all the players that was easier to find than in the separate posts. Merge if desired.

I watched a replay of the game last night and tried to follow each possession for positive/negative plays from each player. I try to follow nonboxscore stats, like drawing charges, closing out on D, or getting a basket at a critical time

Williams played great. He was all over the floor, maybe tried a little too hard at times. But he was an offensive focal point, which he won't be on the big team (sort of like Ariza's first time on the team). Even though he was try-hard his ballhandling looked good. His 3 point shot looked solid and that is his ticket to the Rockets. Sign him quick.

Qi looked pretty good. I'd like to see more D from his but his O was pretty solid. He benefits greatly from a PG who can get him the ball for a dunk, which he'll have here obvi. I expect a summer league game or two where he falls down or someone dunks on him and then the narrative becomes that he's soft and sucks. I don't think that's the case, I think some people want to see him fail but I think he has potential to be a rotation player this year. If he can fill out some without losing quickness he’ll be fine. There was a play where he ran back from the midcourt to the lane on defense and was able to contest a shot. That showed me hustle and speed. He did not shrink from contact even though he's skinny; he played well against this level of talent.

Tay (Taylor) may have had the best game of all of our players. He consistently made the right decision , gave players countless layups and dunks, and was not bothered by defensive pressing. I’m a Longhorn homer, but I remember he did not show hardly anything last summer league (I didn’t get to see much D league). He looks like he could be a 3rd string PG (after one game) or possibly even a second string. The offense ran so smoothly with him out there. Can he defend well enough to get a shot? The biggest thing for Tay is that he can get into the lane b/c he’s fast and then he made great passes to cutters or 3 point shooters. Very impressed.

Cam (Oliver) might have played as well as Tay. He was all over the place in a good way. His athleticism really shines in a league with lower talent, I hope it will translate to the NBA. There was a play where he missed a dunk but didn’t get upset. Left the lane and positioned himself for a pass, caught it and then dunked successfully all in the space of a few seconds. That’s good hustle and sense. He looked like he needs a spot on our bench (I hope there's room).

Long looked a bit better in the first half than the second. I think he has backup potential and might be able to backup both PF and C. Given last year's stats he looks good enough to be a bench player but I don't know if there's room for him, Qi, and Oliver.

Hartenstein looked bad in the first half but looked a lot better in the second. He had a lot of looks at the rim that didn’t go in. Hopefully that will improve in our other games. There’s no place for him on the team this year, stash him overseas.

Onu’s passing is excellent. He gets a rebound and then passes the ball across halfcourt like a point guard. His stats don’t look good but I felt like he was solid throughout. They sat him all of the second half, hopefully because they wanted to get others more playing time (and not b/c of that little injury earlier).

McCree didn’t do much. Won't make the team unless he looks a lot different in later games.

Johnson is a Viper, started the game, and played a lot. He looked good and I think the Rockets might be considering him for a backup guard spot. I could go either way on him, though I do think we need more guards (Harden/Paul/Gordon/Taylor-need at least one more guard to deal with the I word).

Quarterman looked okay. I thought “this guy’s not going to be on the team” so I didn’t expect much. He didn’t make a lot of plays, but did fine in his limited role. I don’t think there’s a space for him on the team, however.

McCallum has NBA experience but I didn’t see anything from him that would make me play him over Taylor. I know this is just one game so maybe I caught him on a bad night. Taylor could penetrate and dish out perfectly to teammates; McCallum tried to the do the same but either couldn’t beat his man into the paint or turned the ball over. They say is a very good defender so that might help him.

Uthoff played about as well as I thought he would. Nothing flashy, just solid, fundamental basketball. Wait, he didn’t play at all?! I was disappointed. No de Paula, no Matt Jones, no LJ Peak. Maybe next game.

I’ve seen the Rockets play totally different players in the other games of summer league so it’s possible they will do that tonight. I could see Onu playing minimally or not at all because he is a known commodity (inknown commodity). I could also see Troy sitting much of this game. There’s not much reason to play him, especially if we are worried that someone might sign him before we can. That would leave McCree, Uthoff, and CJ to man the SF. Hart needs more run. I want de Paula to play but I expect Taylor plays a bit because the offense ran so well through him yesterday. If Qi has another good game then I think we can feel more comfortable about him being able to contribute something this year. If he has a down game or horrible game then there might be concern about consistency or conditioning. Another good game from him would really impress.

Deckard, Clutch, Lawlruschang and 9 others like this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Does Isaiah Taylor actually go by Tay or did you just make that up?

Lawlruschang likes this.
  3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Isiah Taylor = Gary Payton
    Troy Williams = Dominque Wilkins
    Isiah Frankenstein = Dirk Nowitzki
    Chow key = Yao Ming

Jared Uthoff = Larry Bird

xlr817, Lawlruschang, Mazulis and 3 others like this.
  4. fattz

fattz Member

Did Peak keep any time.

5. ballgame

ballgame Member

Good assessment.....my thoughts exactly.

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

deserves its own Official "Unleash Jarrod Uthoff" thread.

topfive and Nimo like this.
  7. Vivi

Vivi Member

Troy and Zhou were both good, we should lock Troy with a Covington kinda deal because someone else is going to sign him 100%...but tbh, the fact that nobody did at this point makes me think we may have already a deal with him, maybe we're just waiting to unload the ng guys and make a trade to sign him.

Hartenstein reminded me of D.Mo when he was here the first time, first two summer leagues he was meh, but the third summer league he played pretty well and so he did in regular season so...we'll see, he needs time.

Taylor and Oliver looked interesting to me but need to see more, same for Nanu, hope he can play next games.

8. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

Dmo was a beast in his first summer league.... matter of fact that whole team was beastly one of my favs.

9. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Agree, I think we have something ready to go with Troy once the other dominoes fall.

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Oh ok, seems like i don't remember well then lol thanks for correcting me.

11. jogo

jogo Member

I don't know if I made this up or not. I thought he went by Tay but maybe not. Can we call him that?

12. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

Dmo did struggle to stay on his feet tho...lol

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

We cannot

14. StrawberryJamm

Good assessment, seems like a perfect storm having a team with the 2 best setup guys in the league, coming off a year in which they paid a big price for not expanding the rotation and giving vets more rest, and a GM that is comfortable flipping assets at the peak of their value and being able to replace them.

Sign Troy Williams yesterday, the Knicks just gave Tim Hardaway Jr. 70 million.

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Everybody is so excited about Carmelo, but no one is thinking what this trade will do to our Summer League roster. It would be decimated and then what would we do? Play Zhou Qi 48 minutes? Play Oliver 48 minutes? Chinanu 48? I say yes and that it will be more fun to watch than "Cash Considerations".

jayfree and Exiled like this.
  16. ilias

ilias Member

Do you guys think Onuaku or Qi can become our 3rd string C or do we need to get someone with the vet minimum?

17. jayfree

jayfree Member

If a thread doesn't mention Melo then I'm not reading

xlr817 and RasaqBoi like this.
  18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

They will be living in the Valley all year. Both players are 2-3 years away.

ilias likes this.
  19. jayfree

jayfree Member

We will just have to negotiate in Melo's contract (and Harden's new contract for that matter) for those two to play in the Summer league together next year. We would dominate the world!

don grahamleone likes this.
  20. StrawberryJamm

Absolutely, Nene will be available in the important games and PJ Tucker is going to make going small a great option in many close games anyway. We should build these guys up in the regular season and get a 4th guard instead. Could always pick up a vet big later if the need arises.

don grahamleone and ilias like this.