1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suggested FA Target: Naz Reid

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Mar 28, 2023.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

11 points, 5 rebounds and 0.8 blocks in 18 minutes (EFG 60.5%). His second half has been much better than his first half and it's hard to find him minutes when KAT and Gobert are both healthy. All possessions against the Nuggets a couple of months ago:

I'm not 100% sold on this one but two pieces of information has made me keep my eyes on Reid:

1) I thought he's an offense-only player, but it turns out he's an above average defender already in year 4. Obviously you know he's an excellent offensive player with both modern and traditional skills. A one-way C is pointless for us, his value to us is purely based on whether he would be the best defensive anchor on the team. If yes, I would consider signing him.

2) Wolves can't afford him. He's another player I think Spurs will try to sign, I think they will compete for FA's with us next season. He's an unrestricted FA and has played himself into a nice little payday. Any team with a NTMLE would sign him so assume he'll go for more than that.

Not sure how much we should pay him. If in fact he's an above average defensive C then combined with his offense he's worth a lot. I like two-way players with toughness and don't hurt the team when they don't have the ball. Can be part of a winning culture or in a package for a star player.

Is he an interesting prospect? What's the maximum salary you'd offer him on a 4-year deal?

jch1911, Aruba77 and OremLK like this.
  2. OremLK

OremLK Member

Interesting under-the-radar guy. Averaging 22.5 and 9.6 with 1.5 blocks per 36 minutes on really good efficiency, and not just an around-the-rim guy either, he can hit some threes. It looks like he's unrestricted this offseason?

Could be a good pickup. Would definitely fill that hole behind Sengun where Garuba isn't really cutting it. My only real question is, is he going to be looking for a bigger role? We could probably give him more playtime than Minny has been, but not a starting role unless we're trading Sengun away in some other deal.

Some possible contract comps from last offseason:
    Jusuf Nurkic, 4 years/$70M -- older and more proven, larger role, but less upside
    Mitchell Robinson, 4 years/$60M -- Reid is a better scorer, but Robinson is a better presence around the rim, maybe a wash overall?

I would definitely expect Reid to make more than $10M AAV this offseason, but too much over $15M would be pushing it?

Overall, nice thought, OP, could definitely see this one happening.

Williamson likes this.
  3. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Put that money towards the coaching position instead. None of these signings won’t make a difference under Silas. Got tk change the culture first

abaker28 likes this.
  4. Mathloom

Supporting Member

No relation dude, coaches salary doesn't count against the salary cap. Also, we have to get to the salary floor anyway so there is a certain amount of salary we have to take no matter what. It's better we bring on players who would be more valuable in trade as they enter their personal prime rather than guys who are about to retire in a couple of seasons.

Better, older players with the same coach will yield better results anyway. It's not true that it won't matter.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Changing the coach is a given, make a different thread.

Naz Reid is an interesting find....and yes, would be a great pickup.

DD

6. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

He’s definitely a nice player, and potentially a guy whose value goes up after getting more playing time next season, so one to consider for Houston.

Really comes down to whether he’s actually a positive on defense -- his reputation says no, and so do his defensive advanced stats and on / offs. But he’s got the reach and strength needed and there’s been flashes this season so depends on our front office’s evaluation.

7. highpost1388

highpost1388 Member

Definitely would be a nice fit around here. I always liked his game and I think he'd add a nice dimension to the offense when he comes in without being super limited like a Bruno who could only dunk the ball.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Good for us. Broken wrist is a harmless injury and he will be full strength by next season. Should keep his market value reasonable. Wonder if we can get him for 4 years and $60m, which would mean his starting salary is just over $12m. Not bad I think.

OTOH I wonder if we're better off just signing Nerlens Noel to a small and safe two year deal. Sengun/Noel/Garuba is a great C rotation for next season. Sengun/Reid/Noel would be better, but that may be over-investing in the C position and tbh I think Garuba will outplay Noel.

Dream signing at C would be Al Horford. Would love for that guy to come play out his career here and mentor our bigs. He went from being an undersized post player to a great shooter, defender and passer out of the C position. Can teach these guys a lot. Wouldn't demand a ton of minutes or shots, but can definitely help us on the floor.

10. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Shall we revisit this?

I like the fit of Naz Reid coming off the bench competing with Sengun. Reid needs to improve defensively but seems to have a bright future. Wingspan is 7'3 (more than Nic Claxton), he's a good rebounder and shot blocker. Nimble on his feet. I can see him becoming an excellent rim protector plus he is already semi-decent from 3pt range. Would look into giving him $15-20m/season if Udoka believes he can learn to protect the rim.

I prefer to try to overpay Brook Lopez, but in case he's not interested in joining a young team Reid is my 2nd favorite option at C. Horford (expiring contract) is another good option if the Celtics decide to shake the roster up.

We need someone who will bring good rim protection for 20-30 minutes and challenge Sengun for the starter position. That would be a good environment for Sengun to grow in.

maj21, jch1911 and OremLK like this.
  11. OremLK

OremLK Member

I keep thinking about this thread every time I see him on the upcoming free agents list. The main question is obviously defense. It sounds like Udoka wants somebody who brings a "different look" from Sengun off the bench. Maybe Reid is that guy, but I strongly suspect Ime is talking mainly about defense/rim protection, so perhaps it depends on how he feels about Reid in those categories.

Edit: Would the ideal outcome for Naz be something like "poor man's Bam"? Can he become good enough defensively to be described that way? If so I'm onboard.

Mathloom likes this.
  12. maj21

maj21 Member

Challenge Sengun for a starting spot? Isn’t Sengun the next jokic and already a top 10 player in the league?

13. Mathloom

Supporting Member

That's a legit concern. I think he can be a rim protector in a few years given his motor, athleticism and size. I don't know if he can be that by next season. He was still raw on defense last season but maybe Udoka is better at teaching it than Finch. That's why I said IF Udoka feels like he can teach him defense.

OremLK likes this.
  14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

MLE for a non tax team over the cap will be 12mill. So my guess is Reid will get offers at that amount.

Sadly we don't have the full MLE, just the space 7. 6M MLE. Obviously we have the cap room and could offer more than 12, but I wonder if that is the right direction. I'd rather try and get Nic Richards from Charlotte at his 5M salary

Fuzzybear and OremLK like this.
  15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He’s both undersized and not a good defender from what I’ve read, give me Lopez or Bamba

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

If the coaching staff thinks he can become a good defensive player, like @Mathloom said, I think he would be worth $13-14M per season. He's mobile enough and good enough as a shooter that he could play the 4 some and get more minutes with us than he did with Minnesota.

Only if they believe that he can defend though. Otherwise I'd go a different direction.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We have been talking about him on Rockets watch as a primary target good pickup.

DD

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

And - realistically speaking - how much difference does he offer to Jabari Smith? I feel like I'd rather spend 13-14M on Grant Williams, and have Smith fill in at the 5 (with Williams at the 4). I don't see that would be weaker defensively, and it would be better offensively?

It's all about price for me. I like Naz Reid. If we could get him for the space MLE, sign me up immediately. Otherwise, not so sure out of cap space?