1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

stupid literary question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by sirhangover, Aug 9, 2001.

Tags:
  1. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

hi dumb question but i have always wondered ..when someone is quoting another person as in a new article within the actual quotes they will put "(sic)'

What the hell does that mean..??

here is an example of what i am saying this is from cnn today:
    "today the heroic martyr Husseini Omar Abou Naeseh, 23 years old, belonging to Walid Beharad, carried out a suicide operation inside a restaurant in the junction of Jaffa Street and King David (sic) in the heart of occupied Jerusalem"

what does sic mean? What is that reference to?

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

(sic)

is an editors note.

When someone is using a quote and uses a wrong spelling within the sentence or quote, the editor will use (sic) to acknowledge that there was a misspelling (in the original quote), but he will let it stand with the context of the quote.

Does that make sense?

3. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I just used (sic) in one of my posts when I made a pretty disgraceful pun. It was my way of saying I knew it was wrong (the pun) when I did it. Maybe I should have put ;) .

4. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

thanks i have asked enough people and they didnt know..

you are the man..

now everyone can feel free to be dorks and put free posts for later when their post count is at 4000 they can somehow feel better about themselves..

thanks again mark

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

For future reference, you can go to most search engines and type

"What does sic mean?"

And you'll get a list of a billion links; several with answers/definitions.

I'm sure somewhere along the way you'll ask the question "What does ibid mean?" Unless you already know...

6. 3fingeredgus

3fingeredgus Member

Dr. of Dunk- So, I take it you're a fan of search engines? This is a little off topic, but I remember growing up, I'd ask my Dad what a specific word meant and his reply was always "Do, I look like a dictionary (or encyclopedia)". I'm glad he didn't just give me the answer, but pointed me in the right direction to find the answer myself. Your responses in this thread and the email list just reminded me of how my Dad might have answered so I thought I'd put this meaningless post up here..

:eek:

7. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

backwardhead you're a director, I'm an actor, you live in New York, so do I.

We need more Rocket Fans in New York!

LETS DRINK! :)

You would not believe how many Texans there are here.

8. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

ClutchCity BBS is my favorite search engine:cool: