1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stuck up here in "Balloon World"

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by IROC it, Oct 13, 2000.

1. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Hey, peeps...

Been a long time since I rock'n'rolled on the BBS, but I am still alive.

I'm now in Albuquerque, NM where the biggest so-called sporting event of the year is going on right now. The "Balloon Fiesta." [​IMG]

The only thing that even half way resembles, or reminds me of the Rockets here is either the Air Force base, or Taco Cabana...

We have here in ABQ, as they abbreviate it, some lame-o sports. The AAA baseball team just left town to go to Portland (did I cause the whole Pippen fiasco? [​IMG]). There's a WPHL "Western Pro Hockey League" team here, the NM Scorpions. There's a, get this, a basketball league here that might as well be called the "We were okay in high school league" with the "NM SLAM." I thought a slam was something on the menu at Denny's. Football? Pllllleeeeeaase. The football in this town is UNM. The Lobos hoops is pretty good, but the feetball looks like they play with there feet.

As you can see, I miss H-Town. First a year in Dallas, now I'm up here in another mile-high city with no real pro sports.

A word to you guys living on the fringe of H-Town... be thankful you can see as many games as you can for free. Get that town pumped up about the Rockets, Stros, Aeros, Comets, Hot Shots, T-Bears, and yes even the soon to be Texans... life without local pro sports stinks.

I guess I'll go watch a hot-air balloon float now.

I wonder if I can start a wave in the crowd?

------------------
    Proud Father of the Rockets' future point guard.

2. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I got your back on this one Iroc...

Surf, I don't know if you have kids or not, but believe me, when it's a choice between Direct TV or food on the table, guess which one is gonna win. I remember when my wife and I were starting out, we did with out cable tv of any kind for 2 years. I am a die hard Rocket fanatic, and always have been. But being a parent is vastly more rewarding. Sure, I missed a bunch of games during those lean years, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

Good to see ya back Iroc, if only for a brief visit. Watch out for those balloons!

------------------
    Save our children from the TAAS test:
    TAAS test report card
    TAAS test fact sheet

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It's called a satellite dish and direcTV/NBA league pass. Buy it, watch it, love it...if your able. Nothing is free...

Surf

------------------

4. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

It's called other responsibilities that require your funds since having a wife and child in your life. Live it, learn it, or at least respect others who do and don't get smarty pants to the people who've been posting for years... if you're able. And yes in the greater Houston area, most Rockets games are free.

But if you'd like to send me the, oh say, $300 I'd need to get the gear and the League Pass feel free... That's free too.

The best things in life are free, but they're not things.

------------------
    Proud Father of the Rockets' future point guard.

5. Robert Snyder

Robert Snyder Contributing Member

IROC it---

You're not that far from me; I'm Lubbock @ TX Tech. You know we're actually "rivals" in the WPHL. The Cotton Kings start up play tonight against Amarillo & the first 1,000 people get free Jason masks.

The only time the Rockets are talked about on the Sports Radio station here is when its caller initiated. At least the Astros get some pub from time to time. Have fun in NM.

------------------
    visit KTXT-FM @ www.ttu.edu/~ktxt/

visit my website @ http://www.ndrnet.com/rob/

2000 Sportscaster of the Year @ KTXT-FM, Lubbock

6. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

New Mexico is a beautiful state.

Would not want to live there though.

[​IMG]

------------------
    There are 3 kinds of lies:

lies, lies, and heypeeisms.

-DrofDunkingDonuts

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I don't care how long you have been posting here. Doesn't mean a thing to me...doesn't make you smart...doesn't make you dumb. I wasn't being a smarty pants. I said if you were able which your obviously not. I am a big fan and, if I had to have the ability to see the games in some far off remote locale, I would find a way to cost justify it rather than not watch at all. But that's me. Your not the only one with responsibility so get off your high horse. I am sorry you are unable to get the games. As a fan, that must be painful.

Most of the time people pay for television service so, indirectly, they are paying to watch it. Hence, the cost.

------------------

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

IROCit, I hope you plan on going to the festival, it really is a cool deal.

Have you tried the Frontier on Central around campus yet? That place is very cheap and very good.

------------------
    Cheerleaders are just dancers who've gone r****ded.

visit www.swirve.com