1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stros just caught a break.....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gr8-1, Sep 23, 2001.

1. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

that was not a home run by Alou. Strange play. Oh well, I'll take it.

2. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

The umps said it was a homer, so its a homer.

Besides, its a homer if it hits the flagpole in center and goes over the fence and there was a homer last year that bounced off the wall and went into the visitors bullpen(before they extended the fence).

Frankly, I'm not sure how you would rule that, I don't think you even expect that kind of ricochet.

3. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

It was a homer the same way it was a homer when the flyball bounced off canseco's head several years ago. The ball left the park without ever touching the field of play. That is, by definition, a homer. Correct call by the umps.

We did catch a break with the very lucky bounce but it was a homer.

4. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

I was in the shower when he it and I just saw the replay. That was awesome! I'll take the win no matter how lucky it was.

5. gr8-1

Morris vs Mlicki tomorrow. Is MM due for an off-day? We're the two hottest teams in the NL, it should be interesting.

If we manage to beat MM tomorrow, I think it is all but over.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Since WGN showed the White Sox today, I did not see the HR by Alou. What happened? Thanks.

7. gr8-1

bob, Alou's ball caramed off of the wooden beam above the scoreboard. It had so much topspin that it went into the stands. It won us the game.

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It doesn't really matter if it was the right call or not. After that "homer", Vinny struck out and Hidalgo doubled. Then the inning ended. If they had only ruled Alou's hit a double, he still would have come home on Hidalgo's double. The result is pretty much the same.

9. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

I couldnt find a clip of it does anybody know if its on the web somewhere?

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

In a nutshell, the rule book basically says that any ball that leaves the field of play without hitting the ground is a home run. This includes caroms off walls, poles, gloves and heads. The call was the correct one.