1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

stros are done

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jcmoon, Aug 20, 2008.

1. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

if we'd have won today, we'd be 6.5 back....we'd have a chance.

Now, 8.5 back.

I don't see any miracles happening.

We aint catching the brewers

2. msn

msn Member

Hello, and welcome to 6 weeks ago.

3. radapharoah

radapharoah Rookie

hahahahha...someone needed to say it :D

4. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Yeah we're done. Eh, a slim thread of hope still remained if we could win 2 out of 3 against the brew crew. Hopefully we can finish somewhere around .500 this year and then call it a day.

5. msn

msn Member

I'm hoping for 82-80. For the last 9 days, they've been pretty much on an 82-win pace. For the season, they've averaged about a 75-win pace, however.

6. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Is baseball still being played? :confused:

7. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Hopefully, the Astros don't finish in the top 15. Time to tank and look at some youngsters. Yea, I said it. It's the best thing for the future.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

what youngsters??? :)
    I agree with you they're done for the season..today was the official last day of pretending they might be able to catch someone.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Could you name some prospects outside of Towels who should be brought up? The list will be short...I can tell you that.

I'll take a winning record any day. There is no bigger crapshoot in professional sports than the MLB draft.

10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People I would like to see (though probably more when they expand the rosters to 40):

Fernando Nieve
    Alberto Arias
    Sammy Gervacio
    Chris Johnson
    Brian Bogusevic

I would also like to see Jack Cassel given some extended innings to see if he can 'figure it out'.

They absolutely don't have any blue chip prospects, but they do have a few guys who could be major leaguers if the chips fall right for them, and getting those guys some experience would help.

#10 Ottomaton, Aug 20, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  11. johnmvp

johnmvp Rookie

In all honesty they were done before the season started.

12. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Nieve has been awful at AAA (and in the majors) this season. Although they'll probably call him up regardless.

Gervacio has consistently given up runs all year at AA. He looks to have regressed from last season.

Chris Johnson was just promoted to AAA and has struggled there. He had a great season with the bat at AA, but I've heard he's far from ready with the glove.

Bogusevic barely has 100 minor league at bats, and you want to call him up?

I think we learned last season what can happen when you rush someone to the majors (ie Towles). Arias, and probably Nieve, will get the call up but the other three have no business playing in the majors at this point in their careers.

13. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Because that's the attitude fans should take, lol.

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't want to bring them to the majors and keep them there. I just want to let them have a taste of the carrot. Those guys are all close enough that a little taste of what is at the end of the rainbow should give them something to remember as they work in the offseason and while here they can get some additional coaching from the MLB staff.

And I've seen three or four of Gervacio's games on FSN. He's really just had a couple of bad streches which have inflated the numbers the way can happen for guys in the bullpen. Mostly he's been very good.

Bogusevec would mostly be as a reward. He's had no luck trying to make it as a pitcher for a couple years. Then he changes positions mid stream without a hitch. From what I understand, he is very much in the Astros plans, and a little reminder of that would be nice.

#14 Ottomaton, Aug 20, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  15. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I'm a realist, so I do believe we're done, however, I still hold hope that a miracle can happen...without lee, that miracle seems to be fading....

16. msn

msn Member

OK, the giving the cups of coffee to the AAA or AA guys I'm good with. Purposefully losing games in the vain hope that a 14th pick will somehow be better than an 18th pick is ridiculous, though.

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I think he means in terms of teams in the top 15 of the draft don't have to surrender picks for signing free agents.

That said, tanking is stupid.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I hope that shaky limb you're out there on doesn't break.

19. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Hopefully we will get another "I was wrong" thread, this time by jcmoon, in 5 weeks or so.

20. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

It is time to play the kids.