1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Streaming] ESPN, Fox and Warner Bros. Discovery launching a sports streaming platform this year

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Feb 6, 2024.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Probably neccessary for them to survive as is rather than stupidly bidding against each other during contract negotiations.

ROCKSS likes this.
  3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

But that's what's weird. I thought they would still bid on those contracts independently. Maybe they wink, wink on deals.

4. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Goodbye Xfinity subscription. You were hardly worth it.

Dammit Mouse...take my money and give me sprts.

Xerobull likes this.
  5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

More ways to force a separation of people and their money.

In the end, streaming will end up costing more than cable, if these companies have their way.

boomboom, ima_drummer2k and ROCKSS like this.
  6. Newlin

Newlin Member

Exactly, they aren’t doing this to save us money. I wouldn’t be surprised if someday I end up just watching what I can get off my over the air antenna. Back to the old days.

ryan_98, Sajan and Jontro like this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Pretty much. When the market is too expensive due to monopolies that control the price, black markets and theft gain popularity, which is what we saw with downloadable media 20 years ago. Netflix saw the trend of VOD and streaming media and innovated towards that end. Other companies followed suit and price wars ensued. Now we're seeing consolidation of companies again, leading to price control, which will lead to another black market/theft cycle which should lead to more innovation down the road, something the market demands.

ROCKSS, ryan_98, Jontro and 2 others like this.
  9. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Antenna is pretty bad but a great backup for times when the power's out.

ROCKSS likes this.
  10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

At this point you need

Netflix - 20/mo
    This package - I'm guessing 30/mo at least
    Disney+/Paramout/Peacock/HBO (on rotation) - 15/mo

That's still around 65/mo and is cheaper than most cable packages right now. Plus you get the better selection of shows. Combine this with an antenna so you can catch NFL games you are set.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Let's face it - you don't need any of that. lol. But I get what you're saying. I've got YouTube TV and League Pass. I got Disney+ and Hulu for $3/month or something a few months ago and haven't really even used them yet. Once the price goes back up, I'm going to cancel them. I get Paramount+ just for the new Star Trek shows, so I look for a free-month subscription or a $9.99 subscription whenever they offer one and I can watch the new season of one of their shows. I don't really care about movies, so I don't need any of those, either.

Some of this is just training yourself to know you don't need half the crap being shoved in your face. I just need to do the same with League Pass. I know a lot of people who "survive" just on OTA shows and free products like Pluto, Tubi, etc. couldn't care less about YouTube TV, sports channels, movie channels, etc. I don't think I've quite gotten to that point yet.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This is going to be $75+ at least. And of course it will massively increase in price after the first year or two. It will compete against YouTubeTV more than it will against on-demand streamers.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

This package won't be 75 lol. YouTube TV is around that and includes all the other networks. This is sports only. I can see 30 maybe 40 a month

14. Buck Turgidson

I don't understand how this is forcing anything on anyone.

You still want cable/satellite for your stuff...go for it.

You don't want that, but want some sports, then subscribe to this.

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

16. JW86

JW86 Member

Ugh NBA broadcasting is going to stay mediocre to bad isn’t it?

17. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

If they offer "Team" packages where I can stream just the Rockets or Astros games at a reasonable price then I'm in. I hate the league season passes because I didn't have that kind of funds and don't have time to watch all those other games anyway.

Xerobull likes this.