1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Strange computer problem- display issues- help needed.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ZRB, Jul 12, 2004.

Tags:
  1. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I was editing a video a few minutes ago, when all of a suddden, the display on the monitor altered in a weird way. All these lines suddenly appeared across the screen, and they seem to appear in different spots whenever I use a program or move the mouse around. The display looks horrible, and I don't know how to get rid of this problem or even begin to imagine what caused it. Any help would be much appreciated. I hate this f***ing computer!

By the way, I'm using Windows 98 SE.

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Reboot? Change the display resolution to see if it gets rid of the lines.

3. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

It might be out of the display range. That causes crazy things to happen sometimes. Try chaning the vertical and horizontal sizes.

4. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I tried changing the display, but all it did was change the size of the lines in relation to the screen. I wasn't doing anything different than I've done a thousand times before. This just popped up out of nowhere. I am so sick of taking this bloody thing to the repair place.

Any other suggestions?

5. mbiker

mbiker Member

It could be a lot of things. Since it happens when you move the mouse, it might be an IRQ conflict. Do you have a video board that fits in a slot or is the video built into the motherboard? If you have a video board that fits in a slot, you can move the video board into a different slot. Sometimes the IRQ can change if its in a different slot. If you know what your doing you could change the IRQ through the software.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Is it a legit piece of software or a pirated version? :D

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

There's your problem...

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Oh, I forgot : buy a Mac and use Firefox. That will fix your problem.

9. daNasty

daNasty Member

What videocard are you using and what software(s) are you using for editing? Maybe you might need to upgrade your video driver.

10. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

reinstall/update your video drivers.

that would be a first step....

it is almost definitely a problem related to your vid card....corrupted drivers or hardware gone bad.

it could be something other....but when troubleshooting, try the easiest things first.

11. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

So how do I go about updating my drivers? I tried moving the card to a different slot, but it turns out that there's only one slot that can hold it.

The strange thing with this problem is that it seems to be related to what programs I'm running. The desktop and internet are screwed up, but my screensaver is fine. While my desktop is loading on start-up, there's no problem, but as soon as the icons appear, so do the lines.

This is bloody bizarre.

12. Isabel

Isabel Member

This isn't Isabel but her husband, who happened to notice this thread and used to fix problems like this one for a living....

As others have noted, this is likely a software issue. If it were hardware, you wouldn't be able to see anything at all at any time on the screen. Please don't fool with any of your hardware right now - you could make the problem worse. As suggested, drivers should be re-installed. Here's how to do it:

Reboot your computer. If you can't see well enough on the screen to use the Shut Down command from the Start button, just press the Ctrl, Alt, and Del buttons all at the same time two or more times until the computer restarts. When you see characters appear on the screen as the computer restarts, hold down the Ctrl key. Eventually, the computer will beep once and then you should see on the display the Windows Startup Menu appear. You can release the Ctrl key now. Look on the Startup Menu, which is a numbered list of options for starting the Windows program, and press the key corresponding to the number for Safe Mode (probably 3). The computer will now start the Windows program, but it will be in Safe Mode, a sort of simplified Windows program that, among other things, uses a set of default drivers for your hardware devices, including the monitor and video card. You'll know it's finished when a box pops up with text beginning with "Windows is running in Safe Mode...."; click OK. You'll now see your desktop, but the icon sizes and colors may be different from what you're used to, and some may be missing. These phenomena are a byproduct of Safe Mode and are no cause for concern.

Click on the Start button, select Settings and Control Panel. In the Control Panel window, double-click on System, and then click on the Device Manager tab in the window that appears. You'll now see the Device Manager, which lists all the hardware devices attached to your computer (make sure the "Devices by Type" button is selected near the top). In reality, you're seeing a list of the software files associated with each hardware device. These are the "drivers", software that allows the Windows program to communicate with the system hardware. On that list of hardware devices should be an entry for Display Adapters, and to the left of it is a plus sign. Click on the plus sign, and a list of items should appear beneath "Display Adapters". Click on the first item on that list so it is highlighted, then look near the bottom of the Device Manager window for a row of four buttons, which should be above the "OK" and "Cancel" buttons. One of the four buttons should be labelled "Remove"; click on it, and the item that was highlighted should disappear. If there are any other items listed under "Display Adapters", repeat the process until all have been removed (at which point the entry for Display Adapters should disappear as well). Now go further down the list of devices in the Device Manager window until you see an entry for Monitors. Click on the plus sign next to that, and remove all of the items listed there as you just did with the Display Adapters. Once you've done that, click on the OK button at the bottom of the window, close the Control Panel window, and reboot the computer (you should be able to do this the way you normally do).

Once again, as the computer restarts, hold down the Ctrl key until the Windows Startup Menu appears. This time, pick the option for Normal (probably listed as 1). As Windows restarts, you should see message boxes saying that Windows has found new hardware and is installing the software for it. Otherwise, your computer should start up normally, and it should look and act normally now. If not, let us know what happened.

From what you've told us so far, my guess is that one of your software programs (maybe the video-editing program you were using) doesn't like your drivers, and it retaliated by corrupting your video card and/or monitor drivers. If that's the case, you may need to update your drivers if you ever want to use this program; check your computer manufacturer's website to see if updated video card and monitor drivers are available.

Ferdinand
    Proud Rockets fan since 1971

13. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Ferdinand-

Thanks so much for your detailed help, but I'm afraid that after following your instructions exactly, the problem still isn't solved.

Everything that you said would happen did happen, except the lines disappearing. Even the blue "Hewlet Packard" screen that appears as soon as the computer is turned on is distorted.

14. daNasty

daNasty Member

You havent told us what kind of video card that you have yet. Maybe you still didn't go and get the latest driver for that brand. What is you resolution display setting and refresh rate at?

15. DanzelKun

DanzelKun Contributing Member

Sometimes I get funny colors showing up on my monitor so I go into the monitor settings from the buttons on the monitor itself and click on the "Degauss" and that fixes it right away, do you have that on yours?

16. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

damn Z,

you got yourself one helluva prob there.

if it was driver-related, it would do it at all times(including screensaver)...and more than likely also if it was hardware related.

tell me what the video card is listed as (or was listed as before following Ferdinand's instructions and deleting it in Safe Mode)...I can look up fresh drivers for you and give you a link..

another thing....maybe update your DirectX files.
    its worth a shot...so here is the link to the newest DirectX. http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/3/c/73cc71c0-13d9-4274-8d9c-33d8a528a396/dxwebsetup.exe

before you install them, try and find out what fideo card you have so we can find the drivers for them.

17. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I recently purchased Sim City 4 Deluxe Edition and am running it on my computer but for some reason, 5-10 minutes into the game not only does the game crash but my entire system gets shut off. I have a AMD XP 2800 running at 2.2 GHz with 256 MB RAM and a 9200 RADEON 128 MB video card and Direct X 9 so I more than meet the recommended let alone required specs. Why or what could be causing this?

18. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

cause its you....

:D

heh....

Do I detect another Pun "I am a computer technicians wet dream thread"?

;)

on a serious note...go check for forum's devoted to the game and see if others have run into the same problem...or check on the game manufacturer's websitew to see if there is a hotfix released for the issue....Im assuming it only does it while playing the game?

19. DanzelKun

DanzelKun Contributing Member

Does this sound like it?

From http://simcity.ea.com/help/faq.php

20. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

So how do I find out what kind of video card I have? Is it listed in the device manager?

Under display adaptors, I have NVIDIA RIVA TNT 2 PRO listed.

One day when I have some extra cash on hand, I'm going to stuff this computer full of fireworks and watch the damn thing burst into oblivion.