1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stone's strategy - Green & Sengun vs Mobley +

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Feb 3, 2023.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Obviously, Rafa has had a gameplan...and that included, at it's heart, the choice to go wth the Green/Sengun combo vs taking Mobley, and building with him.. While it's true, they could have taken Mobley & Sengun, that wasn't going to happen due to position, and what they saw in Green. (I'm not sayng they couldn't have played together)

So, in retrospect, how do you feel about it...now?

I was under the impression that we made a massive error by not taking Evan. It's a decision that's easier to live with now, considering the emergence of Alperen, and the stretches/flashes that JG has shown. I've seen enough to believe that these guys should continue to mature into what we envisioned. (2 franchise players) I'm still a tad concerned about Jalen, but think he'll get there.

JoeBarelyCares and topfive like this.
  2. a time to chill

It’s still too early to judge. I haven’t seen enough progress this year from Jalen. Sengun at the moment is the best player on the team and does more to impact winning. Since Stone used the #2 pick on Jalen I’m always going to directly compare Green to Mobley. If Sengun continues to develop into an all-star it will help alleviate the pain if Mobley proves to be a better player than Green, but it will still be a mistake that we didn’t get the best player available with the #2 pick.

Also, this year Tari Eason is having a more productive year than Jabari Smith. I haven’t done any analysis to back this up, but I believe that most of the time the superstars are selected towards the middle of the first round rather than at the top of the draft.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That can't have been the plan, because chances were that Sengun would have been picked higher. We lucked into Sengun.

groovemachine, cml750 and JayZ750 like this.
  4. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I'm happy with it, I'm not really jumping on the hate Green bandwagon, he's still one of my favourite Rockets and I think he has shown more then just an odd flash of star potential. People here are all about snap-judgements that are mostly just ridiculous tbh so I take the herd opinion as the r****ded opinion more often than not. I think we've got excellent pieces in Sengun and Green, that's a fantastic core to build on. Eason if he continues to improve on his finishing is a great piece too as are Tate and KJ. Jabari's been the disappointing one for me, he doesn't remotely look like the sniper he was billed as but he puts effort in so I'm far from writing him off. KPJ...I wish he was showing more because I'm actually rooting for him but the more time goes on the more clear it becomes he's not a PG and probably not the solution there. Christopher is another one who has the tools to be way more than he is but his decision making can be piss poor at times. I'm happy with being patient, and I think the team would look a damn sight better with a real coach.

topfive likes this.
  5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Let's talk in another 2 years. No need to really speculate yet.

maj21 likes this.
  6. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

But you have to consider that Stone tried a Sengun trade #6 pick onwards.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I keep reading that on the forum, is there an article about it or something?

8. comrade

comrade Member

9. a time to chill

How did we luck into Sengun when Stone traded two first round picks to the Thunder for him?

topfive, xaos and AroundTheWorld like this.
  10. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

I read 1.5 years ago. I'ii try to find it.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

OK, in all fairness, a combination of luck and effort. Not to diminish the foresight in going for Sengun, I just mean we got lucky that he even fell far enough to allow us to make that trade.

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

Stone drafted Green, and then proceeded to do nothing to help his development

Silas as his coach….KPJ as his PG….no accountability….surrounded by dysfunction

at this point, it’s survival of the fittest out there…either our young players can rise above all the incompetence and BS around them, or they drown

13. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

What is funny that OKC was advised to send 16th and 18th pick to Kings to get Alp at #9. How come they gave him away is mystery. That is the link for suggested pick swaps for drafting Alp:

https://thunderousintentions.com/2021/07/22/okc-thunder-swap-kings-sengun/

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It's still f a r too early. And the coaching staff doesn't seem to be creating any consistent improvement. Perhaps another coaching staff will, soon.

BaselineFade likes this.
  15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

You take the best player. You don’t worry about having Christian freaking Wood. And you make sure the top draft prospects actually work out for your team. Let’s start there: FAIL

napalm06 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This is cope for getting less value than we thought we would get at 2 and 3 in 21 and 22 (so far).

17. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

When you are on the top 4 picks, your team is so bad you pick the best player in the draft, regardless of immediate fit.
    You should probably still trying to FIND pieces instead of already trying to fit them.

We woudnt know Sengun would be as good
    So they pick JG instead of Mobley because they thought he was better.

Same goes next year for Wemby. He is a lock even if the Nuggets or Philly were drafting the #1.

topfive likes this.
  18. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Would you rather have Mobley and Sharpe over Green and Jabari is the question. Hard to tell

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Well his strategy has a a 86% chance of failing.

hajkov likes this.
  20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

but that effort failed.

as ATW noted, even if it was Stones plan it was a stupid one cause it couldn’t be remotely assured. My plan is to become a billionaire - good plan eh??

Credit where it’s due cause even if not assured it happened.

but I’m increasingly convinced Stone doesn’t have a plan per se just rather a bunch of I’ll try this but leave option open for this other move… all while being. Wry bad at trades.

His ONLY real skill so far is finding gems in the teens and I’m certain that’s a function of his team more than him. Rumors are that Eli wa behind the analytics driven drafting/love of Sengun.