1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stevenson Changes His Mind

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Rocketsauce, May 8, 2000.

1. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

It must suck to make a 700 on your SAT and have whole the country and potential classmates know that the only reason you could get into school is because you can shoot a ball. I would also hate to be spending my own money on tuition after busting a** for 4 years in high school, only to have some moron sharing the same classes for free at college. I know they deserve an education I just wish I could pretend that they in some way earned it rather than having their ridulous test scores plasterd across the media.

------------------

2. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

rocketsauce, it said he scored an 820, and while that isn't lights out, it certainly is better then a 700.

Personally, I'm glad that he is headed to KU, he wasn't ready for the pro's. I hope he is only there a couple of years though, as he is gonna kill the Horns.

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

3. hoopjunkie

hoopjunkie Member

Acctually, it said he scored better than 820. I didn't give a specific score. It could have been 1100 for all we know, though doubtful.

------------------
    - hoopjunkie

"when you come in da HOOD... things change."

4. Rocketsauce

I'm sorry, perhaps my post was too specific. I wasn't really speaking of his actual score as much as I am about players in general having their ability to "Hopefully" score the minimum made public, and the resentment normal paying students might feel. It's not really that big of a deal though. I can think of bigger problems than sub-par students getting a free ride in college.

------------------

5. dream_team

dream_team Member

Rocketsauce... I feel you!

I'm a college student, and I think it's terrible... I got into this school because of my grades, because I worked hard in high school; and then there's people that didn't do anything in high school, but can run pretty fast or throw a ball far, so they got into this school, with a free ride, while i have to get loans, keep my grades up, and work to keep myself in school.

my roommate came into the same college with me, with a wrestling scholarship. but he dropped out of the team because it was interferring with his grades. so the school decided to take away his scholarship... what kind of f**cked up society is this?

------------------

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You mean life is not fair....CRAP..no one told me !!

DaDakota

------------------

7. MManal

MManal Member

Looks like DeShawn Stevenson has changed his mind about heading to the NBA. Guess we have to put dreams of the most explosive backcourt in the NBA on hold.
    http://www.cjonline.com/stories/050800/haw_stevenson.shtml

Stevenson: I'm going to KU
    All-American receives qualifying SAT score.

By KURT CAYWOOD
    The Capital-Journal

DeShawn Stevenson said Sunday he was going to play basketball for Kansas after all.

Stevenson, a 6-foot-5 McDonald's All-American from Washington High in Fresno, Calif., reconsidered his decision to apply for the NBA draft on Friday, when he found out he had achieved a qualifying score on the SAT.

"I passed the test. I'm going to Kansas," he said.

Stevenson announced last Monday night that he would go pro rather than honor the letter of intent he signed with the Jayhawks in November. But he said he declared for the draft because he didn't think his test score would meet NCAA academic standards.

Now he knows he has.

Because he took the SAT as a sophomore, did not take it as a junior, then retook it as a senior, he said, his results were sent to the testing company's New Jersey office for administrative review. But Stevenson, who has a solid grade-point average, said he was informed Friday that he had scored better than the 820 he needed to qualify and that he could call today for more specifics.

His mother and stepfather, Genice and Terry Popps, harshly criticized Stevenson's decision to enter the draft, saying he was pushed into it by his summer coach and adidas front man Sonny Vaccaro.

But while his mom was happy that he reconsidered -- "You could say that," he said with a laugh -- it was not parental pressure that changed his mind. Likewise, it wasn't KU coach Roy Williams. He hasn't seen Stevenson in the week since his NBA announcement and isn't scheduled to until a visit on Thursday.

"It's my decision," Stevenson said. "I feel much better. I feel good about it, playing with Drew (Gooden) and everybody. I can go higher in the draft and win a national championship. I'll be part of a great program."

He retains his eligibility because he did not send a letter to the NBA requesting that he be put on the draft list nor did he contract an agent.

How long he'll be a collegian is up in the air. He said he probably would stay two years. But those are two big years from a player considered the best wing guard available this year and who was expected to go somewhere from 20th to 25th in the NBA draft.

Moreover, Stevenson's decision gives the Jayhawks badly needed depth. Now, they have 10 scholarship players and maybe 11 if Luke Axtell returns for his senior season.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

8. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I got into college and DIDN'T work hard in high school. So I'm not mad.

------------------
    You can't stop F&Brule, you can only hope to contain him.

9. goophers

goophers Member

The thing is, universities are made for people to study in, not to play sports. Lots of schools also lose a lot of money trying to keep their athletics programs going. And as far as stipends go, if you think athletes don't get 'extras' and must scrounge around to go to a movie, you're nuts. I have been told by a college campus police officer that it's worthless to arrest athletes because they will get bailed out by the alumni. When athletes recieve better scholarships than the maximum academic scholarship, something is wrong.

------------------
    Nostalgia just isn't what it used to be.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Goophers, I don't think that's completely true. Universities are about study, but athletics has a long tradition of being included in that study. Sport is as good and worthwhile a thing as, say, literature, and its study is as legitimate at the university level, IMO.

I'm not saying there isn't anything wrong with college ball. There is so much wrong with it, in fact, that I don't watch it. Athletes are exploited by their schools (I recently learned that the NCAA doesn't allow players to insure themselves against career-ending injury. That's crazy.) and, to maintain the exploitation, give to the athletes something akin to a kickback. In short, I think the NCAA is evil, but college sport is good.

------------------

11. goophers

goophers Member

Juan, I agree that universities have always been a mix of athletics and studies, meant to "round" out a person. However, the problem has become that athletics are emphasized over academics, and it should be the opposite. NCAA should insure athletes, that's not really debatable. The NCAA was created to protect athletes (football players) and now it just exploits them for a buck, er, a few million bucks. I'm sick of college sports and don't even watch em anymore. It's disgusting.

------------------

12. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

goophers,

You are right. Something is wrong with college sports. But there is also as much wrong with the academic side of the university system. At least at the school I attended, being the son or daughter of a certain powerful individual got one a free ticket to misbehave in the same manner athletes get one. All you are pointing out is that politics plays an unfair role in university life. But it isn't restricted to athletes and sports. Nerds get extras too. I know I did. [​IMG]

------------------

[This message has been edited by JeffB (edited May 09, 2000).]

13. goophers

goophers Member

Yeah, nerds can get some things...but not as much as athletes. I think athletes should be able to get help, especially poor ones, but if they can't pass basic tests there should be some repercussions. Athletes at my school get the money to live off-campus at NICE apartments, all expenses paid. They get meals at at off-campus restaurants, lots better than what the 'nerds' get. And not to mention free travel, nice hotel on Venice Beach, and tutors just for them. All this when the programs athletes lose. A nerd screws up and they would lose their scholarship.

------------------

14. outseam

outseam Member

As others have mentioned, universities share a complicated relationship with both scholarship- and atheletic-focused endeavors. Combine the money-making aspect of the latter for universities with the corporatization of higher education and...well, who knows.

One thing I'd like to point out is that we only ever hear about high-profile cases in which a highschool athlete does or does not pass the SAT requirements. Contrast that with the 100's of student-atheletes who get into college each year without any academic fuss, as well as those that use sports as a means to an ends (i.e., a college degree).

Just trying to be fair.

Outseam

------------------

15. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Look, guys. These guys work on their game as hard as good students work on their studies. Not only that, but these universities bring in a lot of money exploiting these student-athletes. Is it fair that a student that can potentially bring in millions gets only a free education?

------------------

[This message has been edited by B-ball freak (edited May 09, 2000).]

16. Elie#17

Elie#17 Contributing Member

Bball Freak,

Alot of people agree, and even some college coaches agree that these students should receive a stipend. Afterall, they're not allowed to work, and hold part-time jobs as other students, so they have no income to purchase any other items.

Elie17

------------------

17. Rocketsauce

Ignorance is bliss. Everyone knows that most college athletes did not study their way to a scholarship. Besides who cares if they get a scholarship. I just wish for everyones sake(athlete especially) that they shouldn't have their ability to pass a test plastered across the media. It's not fair to the athlete and it's not fair to the other students busting a** to get into a college. I think we can all agree in principle with that.

------------------

18. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Athletes also bust their asses to get into college. Just because they spend hours a day studying a sport doesn't mean that they don't bust their asses.

------------------

19. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Yep. Stevenson changed his mind. Again.

<a href="http://www.cnnsi.com/basketball/college/news/2000/05/15/stevenson_pro_ap/">Stevenson turns pro before deadline</a>

LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) -- Prized recruit DeShawn Stevenson is making himself available to the NBA draft directly from high school and will not play at Kansas, Jayhawks coach Roy Williams said Monday.

Stevenson, regarded as the top perimeter player in the country, has applied for the NBA draft, Williams said.

"This youngster is a fine young man who signed with KU in the fall, and wanted to be a Jayhawk," Williams said. "Now he has decided to move in a different direction, and I understand and support that. He has decided to pursue another dream and there is nothing wrong with that."

Stevenson, 6 feet 5 and 210 pounds, is a McDonald's All-American who averaged 28 points and nearly 11 rebounds as a senior at Washington High School in Fresno, Calif. He is generally regarded as the nation's top perimeter prospect among high school seniors. He also was projected as a likely starter next season for the Jayhawks at small forward or shooting guard.

Kansas coach Roy Williams said Sunday night that Stevenson was the most gifted player he'd ever signed.

Stevenson kept his NBA intentions a secret all weekend.

Stevenson had signed to play at Kansas last fall after attending "Late Night with Roy Williams," the scrimmage/carnival that marks the start of practice.

In early May, he veered away from that pledge by announcing his intention to enter the NBA draft, then he reversed himself a few days later. Stevenson said he believed he had achieved a qualifying score on the Scholastic Achievement Test.

That changed again last week after he learned that his dramatically improved SAT score had been disqualified.

Stevenson's SAT score, only about 450 the first time he took it as a sophomore, jumped to about 1,150 when he took the test again this year as a senior, well above the 820 necessary for freshman eligibility at a NCAA Division I school.

But the increase was so big it caught the attention of the New Jersey-based Educational Testing Service, which apparently red-flagged it.

That disqualification means that if Stevenson enrolled at Kansas, he would not be able to play for the Jayhawks next season unless he retook the test and achieved a qualifying score.

If he is drafted in the first round, as he believes will happen, Stevenson will receive a guaranteed three-year contract valued between $1.9 million and $9.4 million under the league's rookie salary structure. The NBA plans to release a final list of early entrants later this week.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Clutch, I don't think he changed his mind this time as much as his bloated SAT score jumping 700 points did. He really had no choice but to go pro once they wouldn't accept his test results as valid.

------------------
    ?