1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

steve needs the ball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pooh222, Jan 9, 2001.

1. pooh222

pooh222 Member

See how the Rockets play so much better when Steve is asserting himself and handling the offense. The Rockets made their key run to seal the game when Steve started to take over and run the offense. Mobley played a little more under control tonight, but when Steve was running the offense, the Rockets got any shot they wanted

------------------

2. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

If Steve asserts himself like this everry game, say hello to the playoffs.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

3. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Steve needs to know his role and let Cuttino take over. He's the Rockets best player.

------------------
    "We don't have any plans. We just plan to win." Mack Brown

4. fromobile

fromobile Contributing Member

who's the rockets best player? Did you mean Steve or Cuttino?

------------------

5. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Cuttino.

------------------
    "We don't have any plans. We just plan to win." Mack Brown

6. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

ummmm ... [​IMG]

------------------

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Relatively speaking I thought Steve asserts himself like that a lot. That's why we love him. Can someone tell me what you think he did differently, that we should look for more from him? And how did he have the ball more than usual last night. He certainly had it less in the 1st Q than he usually does.

I'm just not following that something changed in the offense last night. We made our open shots...well done Shandon and Walt. Open shots makes the game so much more open for Steve and Cuttino. The offense is much more difficult for Steve to run when Shandon and Walt can't hit.

Is there something we did differently, other than nail our shots? Shandon thinks that was the key:

I actually like what we did against Detroit in the 1st more. We really had the motion going. These games like Toronto are the funnest to watch, but they always make me think (well, anyone can win when hitting their shots like that, can we reproduce it?) In fact, I'm willing to bet that had Phil Jackson been the opposing coach last night, he would have said that very thing. "They just hit their shots, but that's not real basketball." That's an actual quote from Phil boy.

That's why I'm asking: What did we really do differently than hit our shots? There were a few different types of plays Cuttino ran, I can spot, that I like much more than his ISOs. But, they were few, and insignificant to the outcome.

What did Francis do differently? And how did he have the ball more?

Hopefully I don't sound like I'm b****ing...I'm not, I loved that game as much as anyone.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited January 10, 2001).]

8. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

HP, I don't think they really did anything differently. We played the same type of game we always play, but we were keeping the defense honest by hitting our shots, thus creating space, where if we weren't hitting our shots, there would have been no space.

So basically we're back to square one...live and die by the three.

------------------
    "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Gandhi