1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve Nash Announces Retirement

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by CCity Zero, Mar 21, 2015.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

3. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

Shouldn't have left Phoenix, and deserved to have a ring on his hand. He'll go down as one of the best to play the game at least.

4. i3artow i3aller

Happy trails to one of the greatest offensive forces ever [​IMG]
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The ranks in offensive efficiency of teams led by Steve Nash from 2002-2010: 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 1st.</p>&mdash; Conrad Kaczmarek (@ConradKazNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/ConradKazNBA/status/579354032155803649">March 21, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Said it before: Nash and D'Antoni changed the NBA together, and forever. Just ask Pop, and any other thinking coach. Revolutionaries.</p>&mdash; Zach Lowe (@ZachLowe_NBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/579355848343977984">March 21, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    [​IMG]
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FYsTDR-9BFs?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/G7Od4H9uIJ8?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tdNiXidfLcc?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. Showtyme11

Showtyme11 Member

Insert "I thought he retired 3 years ago joke"

Seriously though what a great career for the Canadian

6. Panda23

Panda23 Member

so fun to watch, hope he stays normal people healthy. hehe

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

To be fair, PHX wasn't going to get back to 'ship contention any time soon, after the D'Antoni era. I wish he requested a trade back to PHX during this season just so he could retire there though.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I doubted Nash when Dallas let him go but props to him for taking his career to another level AFTER getting his first mega-contract.

Wish he never went to the Lakers but understand why he did.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/baR57TLvxhc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Does he jump to the top of the list as greatest to have never won a chip?

11. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

incredible combination of handles with smarts, opening up the whole game with his pure shooting skill..

steph curry has glimpses of this now

i think harden could make use of some of nash's post work.. driving into the middle of the lane for a fallaway or up and under or the dish.. no limits for that guy

12. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Such a shame that he played for that crappy LA organization. The fans treated him like trash.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Still ranks 2nd behind Terry Puhl as the greatest Canadian athlete though. But he put up a good show.

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

And Lin ends yet another career.

15. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

LA fans always treat everybody crappy

16. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

i wonder if he uses medical mar1juana for his spinal stenosis

hey dudes retired now :grin:

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Farewell, Steve. Two time MVP

18. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

While he was great, that 2x MVP was just too much for me and I could never seem to like him because of it. Not a knock on him, but severely overrated causes people to dislike players, sorry only human.

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

LA Times
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/laker...lakers-steve-nash-retires-20150321-story.html

It was just another assist from Steve Nash, a pass to Jodie Meeks for a dunk against Houston last April.

It was the 10,335th of his career. And his last.

Nash announced his retirement Saturday, leaving the game he played since being drafted as a rail-thin, little-known point guard out of Santa Clara in 1996.

This would have been his 19th NBA season, though it never got underway. He declared himself done for the season last October because of recurring back problems, par for an injury-plagued three years with the Lakers.

Nash, 41, was acquired by the Lakers from Phoenix for two first-round picks and two second-round picks. He was supposed to be the answer at point guard, their most dynamic player at the position since Magic Johnson.

But he was continually sidelined, starting with a broken leg in his second game with them in 2012. He made $28 million over the last three years, averaging 11.4 points and 6.4 assists in only 65 games.

Nash announced his retirement Saturday with a first-person piece on the Players' Tribune website.

"The greatest gift has been to be completely immersed in my passion and striving for something I loved so much — visualizing a ladder, climbing up to my heroes," he wrote. "The obsession became my best friend. I talked to her, cherished her, fought with her and got knocked on my [butt] by her."

finished behind only John Stockton and Jason Kidd in career NBA assists. His 90.4% free-throw accuracy is the best all time.

Nash addressed the sting of the last few years, understanding the shortcomings of a championship-or-bust team that began the 2012-13 season with Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol and Nash.

Beset by injuries, including a torn Achilles' tendon for Bryant, the Lakers were swept in the first round of the playoffs by San Antonio.

"When I signed with the Lakers, I had big dreams of lifting the fans up and lighting this city on fire," he wrote. "I turned down more lucrative offers to come to L.A. because I wanted to be in the 'fire,' and play for high risk and high reward in my last NBA chapter.

"There's been a lot of negativity online, but in my nearly three years in L.A., I've never met anyone who didn't show me anything but love and support for my efforts. There's a lot of class in Lakerland, and the organization and staff have given me unwavering support."

Nash's retirement was not surprising. He could have revealed it last October when he announced his decision to sit the entire season but, in a favor to the Lakers, let them to try to trade his expiring contract ($9.7 million this season) to someone looking to unload a high-salaried player. When the trade deadline passed last month, it was only a matter of time before he officially retired.

Among the handful of people he thanked was his coach in Phoenix and later with the Lakers.

"Mike D'Antoni changed the game of basketball. There's not many people you can say that about," Nash said. "No wonder I had my best years playing for him. He deserves a championship."

Nash also described his affinity for Phoenix, where he was the NBA most valuable player in 2005 and 2006.

"It will always hurt that Phoenix Suns fans didn't get the championship they deserved during our run," he wrote. "The arena was always sold out and rocking. It was the time of my life."

The Lakers signed rookie Jabari Brown to a second 10-day contract after he averaged seven points and 20 minutes in four games.

Brown was signed earlier this month from the Lakers' Development League affiliate, the L.A. D-Fenders.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Is his contract up at season's end? If so LA should cut him and let him play the final game of the year in a Suns jersey. I'm sure he can still give them a play or two. Barkley did it.