1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Steve Kerr has a burner account

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tmactoyao, Feb 1, 2018.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Don't agree: The issue for FIBA's change was the two steps vs one step. That link you provided is not an accurate description of previous rule.

Search for the FIBA 2012 rules. It is very short and concise. It describes our HS rules of 1 step and jump (1 1/2). And now the new rule is FIBA copying the NBA rule verbatim.

Nowhere in either rulebook, in 2012 or now, do they describe a gather step. We only hear that from refs when providing interpretative wording for the benefit of the fans, by explaining cases. Gather Step is not an official word in the rules.

NBA clearly says 2 steps (effectively 2 and jump = 2 1/2), whereas FIBA 2012 said one and jump. Sbnation implying the NBA doesn't have a strong rule and is lax sounds like lack of understanding to me. I have followed how the NBA explains various cases, and I've never heard anyone say such a thing as a Gather Step allows a third step. What we hear about is the Delayed Gather, which looks like three steps. But that is a rare case where the dribbler ends their dribble with the lead foot or no foot on the ground, (which is quite a skill), such that the lead foot or next contact with the floor is Step 0. (Delayed Gather also describes when the lead foot is on the ground as Step 0.)

I also recommend reading both rule books for description of Ending a Dribble. Both FIBA 2012 and NBA clearly say "when both hands touch ball simultaneously or ball comes to rest in one or both." Plus other things like a pass or shooting.

What many fans seem to think is the dribble ends at the first tocuh after the last dribble. That's clearly not correct. If that is the case, why do both FIBA and NBA say two hands. As for "come to rest wording in one or both," regardless of whatever difference that is trying to make vs 2 hands, both NBA and FIBA share that wording.

Bottomline: the only difference I can find between FIBA 2012 rules and FIBA 2017/NBA is one step vs two.​

#261 heypartner, Feb 3, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    hakeem94, AroundTheWorld and durvasa like this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's not my point. I am not arguing about the 2 steps. I am talking about the DIRECTION of the two steps. When I was taught about the two steps growing up, it was always in the context of dribbling forward. You dribble toward the basket, gather the ball, go two steps and jump. I've never heard anyone teaching: dribble, gather, 2 steps backward, jump.

Think about this. If a guy is posting up. He dribbles, backing in, then gathers the ball, turns around. Now if he changes his pivot foot at this point, it's travel. But changing pivot foot is clearly within two steps. Right? So why is it a travel? Because the two steps is not supposed to be used as foot work move. It's supposed be carrying your momentum going forward.

That said. Harden's step back is not two steps. It's only one step jump back while gathering. At least most of the times that's what it is. The clip of Kerr's tweet is kind of borderline. The jump back was after the gathering.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you are misinterpreting travel rules.

In moving forward and doing a lay-up - when you gather you only have one foot on the ground. The foot that lands is your first step and then you are allowed another step. But you can think of this as pivot foot - the first foot the land is called the pivot. The next foot to land is your step but it's really just holding your pivot. And then you lift your pivot foot it as you take your shot - this is ok because you are allowed to lift your pivot - you just can't put it back down on the floor. So a layup is nothing more than pivoting and then lifting your pivot before you take your shot before your pivot lands again.

When a big man backs a guy down and picks up his dribble - both feet are on the ground - so one of them is the pivot already. That's why they can't take two steps. But if they had only one foot on the ground when they gathered then when that foot lands it's the pivot and they can take another step.

Now when harden did his move - he had one foot on the ground - his right and he gathered so it's when his left foot touches that it becomes the pivot. But when you do a hop and land on both feet simultaneously - you lose your pivot and can't move either foot. Lay-up, post move, step-back - it's all the same. If Harden hadn't done a hop and just landed back with his left foot - that would have been his pivot just like the post-example above.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That is not true. You are allowed to take two, not one, more steps after you pick up the dribble. That's why it is called "two and a half steps" sometimes. It's what heypartner and durvasa are talking about the change from one and a half to two and a half steps. It is a different rule than the pivot foot rule.

Anyway, my point is, using the two-step rule to justify Harden's step back move is wrong. Harden's step back is not even a step. It is gathering while jumping back. It's a perfectly legal move used by many players. If he jumped AFTER he picked up the ball, which Kerr's clip seems to show, then it is suspect. Then your pivot foot justification may apply.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's a relatively new NBA rule. I was speaking in terms of standard basketball rules. Two and a half steps is a travel but the NBA allows it. The universal cadence is after a gather you get a 1-2 in terms of your feet touching the ground. That's what I am talking about. This was a change made in basketball in the 60's and want just for layups. Players immediately began using it to do a hop. That was 50 years ago and one of the changes that made the game great.

6. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

The gather step is in the rulebook

Rule 9, Section XIII, Item (b): A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may take two steps in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball. A player who receives the ball while he is progressing must release the ball to start his dribble before his second step. The first step occurs when a foot, or both feet, touch the floor after gaining control of the ball.

Ronnie Nunn explains it here

don grahamleone likes this.
  7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yes, I know. Been there; read that.

I was just saying that the word Gather Step is not actually used in the rules, nor is it defined by name, like that sbnation article seems to imply. I even say it is just explained that way by refs (meaning Nunn and official NBA videos from league office) to the benefit of fans and players.

people argue over that "after gaining control of the ball" language. I think that is the point of confusion.

However, the rule is actually defined under the Dribbling description which says the dribble ends "when the dribbler (1) touches the ball simultaneously with two hands, (2) permits it to come to rest, etc" When dribble ends, the "first step" in traveling language begins.

My intent in my post was to point out that FIBA and NBA share the same description of when the dribble ends. There is no foggy "Gather Step" language in one and not the other.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Steve Kerr's "travel" tweet is a premonition of what is to come. Rockets will lose in the 7th game of a GS-HOU playoff series when James Harden is called for a travel on a made 3 pointer in the closing seconds that would have won the Rockets game.

BigShasta likes this.
  9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

10. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

I seriously can’t believe there is actually people arguing that what Harden does on his step back is a travel...those that say that fall into two categories.

1. They don’t know **** and talk out their ass just to have back and forth banter and loves to be the one to disagree even if they aren’t 100% convinced of their dumb arse comments.
    2. They are a HATER of the Rockets and our superstar(best player on the planet currently)

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

perhaps, or he is trying to get into beards head. last night i had a feelin beard was self-conscious when dancing about the 3pt line because of that comment

seeingredtx likes this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

13. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

Dude, stop fueling my nightmares.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

somebody paste kerrs face on this guy
    [​IMG]

15. Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick Lamar Contributing Member

please dear God can we make this tweet go viral??!

D-rock, don grahamleone and hakeem94 like this.
  16. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

umad bro?

seeingredtx likes this.
  17. Mr. Space City

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member