1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen A. Smith: CP3 is the biggest loser of the offseason. Thunder is better than Houston.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Sep 25, 2017.

1. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I think the Thunder will be a top four seed and present a lot of problems for the NBA. We might really see Olympics Melo as a third option. Maybe Donovan can create a system and stagger the minutes to make sure there is always two dominant scorers on the court to go along with defensive stand outs like Andre Roberson and Steven Adams. Maybe this big three will coalesce like other big name talent has in the past. Here is what gives me pause:
    • Style of play: Russ fills up a box score and just won an MVP trophy by doing so. His shot selection is best described as anything goes. Paul George and Carmelo Anthony have been the light is always green players, too. How do you mesh that? Who takes a backseat? Will George and Melo mesh on the court together? Will they be a running team? What will their defensive identity be?
    • Free agency uncertainty: None of the big three have committed to OKC beyond this year. Will that be a distraction moving forward? Absolutely.
    • Front court depth- the Thunder are suddenly a bit thin in the front court. Patrick Patterson is a nice piece off the bench, but he is a weak rebounder. Melo will have to pick up the slack at the 4. Steven Adams is the only center of note on the roster right now, unless the ghost of Nick Collison is appealing to you.
    • All or nothing reality- if this team is slow out of the gates, struggles, or becomes injured, the options to keep it going are limited outside of trading one of the big three. And, if one of the big three is moved, or the team under performs, it is less likely that all three resign. This is potentially a bad catch 22 situation.

IvanLCPM, Nook, Hakeemtheking and 3 others like this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lol it ain't even started drama is already starting smh.

Snow Villiers likes this.
  3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Thunder is going to be a really bad matchup for us when we play them.

Westbrook gives CP nightmares.

Paul George can make life miserable for Harden.

Just because of those two reasons alone, I dont see us winning a 7 game series against this team.

swyyyguy likes this.
  4. rockets13champs

You know what I like being the underdog. Let Stephen A think OKC is better. The thrill of the win is sweeter when the dog wins

fckbandwagons likes this.
  5. jae713

jae713 Member

OKC is going to be difficult to watch. There will be no movement in their offense. It will be iso ball for 48 minutes. It didn't work when KD was there. Won't work with these guys.

Nook, roslolian and YaoMing#1 like this.
  6. rocketseagles07

They made it to the championship and were up 3-1 on the warriors? If it didn't work I hope our offense doesn't work like there's did

7. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I just think that game works well for the regular season, but that game will always be less effective in the playoffs when things tighten up.

8. BackdoorHarden

He'll only be a loser if Rockets doesn't give this 33 years old a 5 years $220 million contract

9. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

OKS vs. HOU

Adams = Capela. Adams is a better defender. Capela is more athetic, shotblocker.

Carmelo > Anderson Both are bad defender, but Carmelo can creates his own shots.

Roberson = Ariza i know they dont play in the same position but they have a similar role. Both are great defender, good 3 point shooter. Roberson is a terrible FT shooter but he is more athletic

Paul George = CP3 they are the 2nd star for both teams. Will see wich one asume better his role

RW = Harden. I prefer Harden, but Westbrook is better defender. Harden has higher IQ.

Patterson, Collison, Grant, Singler <<<< EG, Nene, Black, Tucker, LMM

kevtse likes this.
  10. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

I haven't seen any signs on CP3 slowing down though. He does have injuries here and there but nothing career-threatening.

Game could age well.

11. Tdugs710

Tdugs710 Member

I think people forget that most advanced metrics rate Paul George and Carmelo Anthony pretty poorly compared to typical "stars." The names are nice, but it's more flash than substance. One CP3 (in my opinion) is more valuable than PG13 and Melo combined. We have a fairly balanced roster with depth, so I'm not that worried about comparing ourselves to the Thunder. Once again, it is just everyone vs GS this upcoming year.

12. PhilCollins

PhilCollins Contributing Member

13. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Lmfao!!

14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I expect OKC to end up higher seeded than Houston. OKC has relentless offence that will be able to pick off most of the teams in the NBA. However I expect the playoffs to be very different when smart teams start playing Melo and Westbrook against each other.

The key for OKC is to somehow keep Melo and Westbrook happy with each other...for long as possible. The clash between the two is inevitable, much like if Melo went to CLE.

I do not want Melo, but I believe Melo would best fit in Houston. Harden and CP3's ego are not on the same level as Westbrook and LeBron.

I believe in the end, Melo will be playing for LA next season with LeBron

15. CALI_MOST_WANTD

Usually can't stand the stuff he says. But he is right Houston messed up. Disappointing. Rather he went to Portland.

swyyyguy likes this.
  16. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

100% and this is coming from a guy who loves me some melo and PG13.

Those guys are allstar guys big names.

Cp3 and harden are legit MVP franchise changing guys yearly and are always in the conversation for the MVP and best player at there position.

There is a huge difference.

Russ is on that level although imo not as good as cp3 and James but pg13 and melo especially at this age are not franchise players or MVP guys.

I mean melo hangs been able to lead the knicks to the playoffs in 4 years pg13 has been the best player on 41 win teams 2 years in a row and that's in the east.

Cp3 and harden are the best players on 50+ win teams yearly and always are in position to have homecourt advantage.

kevtse likes this.
  17. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

They have a great starting 5 but one of the worst benches. PatPat and Felton are there only rotation worthy bench players. Maybe abrines.

They'll be good, but the starters will be overplayed and fizzle out in the playoffs.

Our starters aren't as good but we have the superior bench by a long mile. We are better balanced.

kevtse likes this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Please tell me you realize Roberson is not a good shooter. If you think he's a good 3 pt shooter you might want to re evaluate a bit there

Astrodome likes this.
  19. topfive

topfive CF OG

As opposed to the Rockets' plodding offense? :)

Seriously, I think the biggest difference is in coaching. Everyone talks about what a great coach Billy Donovan is, but I'll take MDA over him any day. With Harden and CP3 running this offense, it will be scary.

I'm also thinking that Anderson came into last season after signing that huge contract, thinking that he was the #2 option behind Harden, and I think the pressure affected his play. I mean, from his viewpoint, who else would have been the second option? Bev? Ariza? Maybe Gordon would have been, but he wasn't a starter. This year, there's no doubt that Ryno is the clear #3 option, or #4 if Capela has continued to progress. I think he'll have a better year, and if he goes wonky again, he'll have Chris Paul in his ear to get him back on track.

ALSO: I'm hearing TV and radio sports analysts say that Harden and CP3 will never be able to co-exist because they both need the ball to be effective. Then in the very next breath, they say the Thunder are going to be amazing -- despite three guys who were #1 options last year all competing for the rock. Do you think Paul George, a UFA after this year, won't want to be the #1 option? Do you think Westbrook, coming off an MVP year, is going to settle for a supporting role? Add Melo to that mix, and things could get complicated. With the Clippers, CP3 ran the show but was happy to let Griffin and DJ do their thing. I don't see that happening with Russ.

#179 topfive, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  20. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

At least he was good agains us in the serie :)